Removing Console

In an attempt to remove the console I have first removed the "H" shaped piece in front of the gear shift lever and below the radio. Then I see a tag that reads "IF EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: GEAR SHIFT INDICATOR CABLE MUST BE DISCONNECTED THROUGH RIGHT SIDE ACCESS PANEL BEFORE REMOVING CONSOLE.". I am now lost as to where this access panel is and what it is I am going to be removing. Help please!! Thanks.

Thanks Mr. Ghostly for your reply. I removed the passenger kick panel next to the left foot. I then slipped the carpet out of the way and saw what could be called an access panel. It looks like I need to loosen/remove the nut in the center of the white plastic piece in the center of the photo and then remove the green cable that is slipped over a peg on the gear shift lever. I moved the gear shift lever and watched the green cable move. Your thoughts!! Thanks again.

post-89473-143139259992_thumb.jpg

Guest My TC Toy

G&G, Good luck removing the console. I do not think it was installed to ever be removed. You are right on the indicator cable remove the bolt and you can slide it off the pin. However to remove the console you will be better by first removing the two front seats. There are fasteners on the side of the tunnel that are hard to get at. All you have to do is remove four bolts and disconnect the harness for each seat.

When you get the console unattached, gently lift the passenger side toward the rear first and cut the plastic straps underneith that tie the harness wires together. Eventually you will be able to remove the console. Don't forget the screws in the ashtray and storage box.

The other item is the shifter handle. Gently pry up the square button in the centre top of the shifter, this snaps into place at the end of a 6" rod.. Then remove the set screw facing front on the upper part of the shift lever. The handle then should slide off.

All you need is lots and lots and lots of patience.

Good luck.

Bob

My TC Toy, I would like to thank you for your assistance in removing my console. I was able to remove the console without removing the seats but I don't believe I will be able to put it back without removing the seats. That's okay because I think I will have the carpet cleaned by 'Stanley Steamer' while all that stuff is out. I am putting together detailed sequencial notes of what to do to remove the console in case anyone else might want to perform this task, I can pass along the instructions. Sincerely, Bob

There are 2 screws from inside the console rear under plugs screwed to the floor that need removing. You also have to disconnect the lighter and the rear courtesy light wires. While you have it out, you can add a second lighter socket inside for cell phone charging or whatever you want from the cigar lighter. I found my sloppy pics on my crashed hard drive backup.

Hi Bill, I am working on documentation as I go, along with pictures (ie. the one in an earlier reply). I will not have it completed for a couple of months but when it is finish I will make it available on this site and publish my email address should anyone want to receive it that way. This TC was not in the best of shapes when I bought it. My first TC spoiled me as it won 'Overall Best of Show' my first time out, out of 324 cars. That's why the yellow one is in the garage and the red on is on the driveway. Yes, I'm re-attaching the power seat buttons, checking all the lights so that they are working before I put it back together, put a new cigarette lighter in already and the lid on the ashtray needs to be re-attached and re-attached a missing spring from one side of the ashtray lid. Bob

Guest My TC Toy

When I reattached the seat switches I drilled out the existing screw shafts (that had broken causing the problem) right through the face of the console, taking care not to break them off entirely, even if cracked they still serve a purpose to stabilize the shafts. I believe I used a 3/32" bit. Then I countersunk holes into the wood grain of the console so that the head of the new screw would fit flush.

I cut short pieces of 3/16" vinyl hose and slid over the short shafts making sure the hose was all the way up to the underside of the console and were the same length as the original shafts and also glued them in place. I then slipped bumper clips over the tabs of the switch. Using long screws I reattached the switch to the console. The switches are now tight and will never come loose again.

After some fooling around with some paints I just about matched the wood grain on the head of the screws. No-one has ever commented on the screws as they are almost perfectly hidden.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

Thanks for your solution Bob. I am going to attempt to solve the problem from the back side. The screws used are only 1/2 inch long and the screw shafts are 1 inch high so I am going to see what using a longer screw will accomplish, as I still have half of the shaft in height and a part of the shaft still is the correct height (but a screw would not have the full circle to bite into). I have also thought about using like a metal gas line to slip over the shaft and glue that down for added support for the correct height of the shaft. Bob

Guest My TC Toy

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that the plastic deteriorates over time, especially when it is thin and under strain. Instead of steel tubing I would suggest 1/4" or 5/16" ID vinyl tubing. Fill it with an epoxy glue and slide it over the plastic pins. This will serve to reinforce the pins and give you the spacer you need.

Good luck.

Bob

Guest My TC Toy

That may be a solution but it is a hell of a job to get everything lined up correctly. I found the simplest, for me, was screwing right through the console. It was quick, permanent and barely visable when the screw heads were touched up with paint. I like simple and effective!!

Bob

• 2 months later...
Guest Bob Barrow

Hi, just joined the forum &just purchased a TC down here in Florida & will be bringing it back to Windsor Ont. next month. I didn"t know there were any TC's in Canada.I worked for Chrysler all my life & I was involved in trying to get it set up to bring to Canada. I have all info such as dealer packages, parts & service manuals, + lots of other stuff used to introduce a new model. I was at Monaco F1 when Iacocca was there to lead F1 race in 1987. I should stay in touch in order lean on some of your expertice. My E-mail is boblorna2@gmail.com I always wanted one & finally got one. Bob Barrow

Guest My TC Toy

Bob,

They were not sold new in Canada. I guess they were just too good for us up here! I got mine in Michigan about 5 years ago and enjoy rhe car immensely.

Any time you want information, etc. simply start a new thread, in that way we keep everything together, allbeit repeated.

Welcome aboard.

Bob (Newfoundland)

Guest Bob Barrow
G&G, Good luck removing the console. I do not think it was installed to ever be removed. You are right on the indicator cable remove the bolt and you can slide it off the pin. However to remove the console you will be better by first removing the two front seats. There are fasteners on the side of the tunnel that are hard to get at. All you have to do is remove four bolts and disconnect the harness for each seat.

When you get the console unattached, gently lift the passenger side toward the rear first and cut the plastic straps underneith that tie the harness wires together. Eventually you will be able to remove the console. Don't forget the screws in the ashtray and storage box.

The other item is the shifter handle. Gently pry up the square button in the centre top of the shifter, this snaps into place at the end of a 6" rod.. Then remove the set screw facing front on the upper part of the shift lever. The handle then should slide off.

All you need is lots and lots and lots of patience.

Good luck.

Bob

HI, TC Toy, just bought a TC here in Florida. It is being shipped back to Windsor Ont., so there will be another great car in Canada. Could you respond with your E-Mail so that I can contact you about original paperwork that I have at home. I worked at Chrysler when Chrysler was contemplating bringing the car to Canada. Thanks---Bob Barrow