Need help authenticating/identifying this Shelby Daytona painting

Hello,

The automotive museum where I work recently received a donation of a piece by George Bartell depicting a Shelby Daytona Coupe in the pits at Sebring. I have reason to believe it is the original painting, but do not know for sure. The image was featured on the cover of Sports Car Graphic in June of 1964, but I can't find any other reference to the image. The piece is framed and has a receipt on the back of it from 1985 for the sum of $1,500. I could really use some more info and what kind of price to expect if we were to sell it on the museum's eBay store. The link to pictures of the piece is below:

George Bartell Daytona Coupe - Imgur

Thank you in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, it "looks" authentic but that's based on the small image on a computer screen of course. The best thing would be to contact the artist and request a formal authentication letter from him so there will not be a question in the future. Apparently Peter Brock has a direct affiliation with him so starting there may be logical if you can't find direct contact info for Bartell. BRE: George Bartell Artwork

I tried to research auction results with no luck, that will be better than going by eBay or what the artist says, as those values can be understandably skewed. You may wish to contact one of the auto auction houses that also deal in memorabilia and see if their catalogs show past sales of his originals. Be sure to differentiate between this and his lithos/prints as they are much cheaper. If you can't see the artists hand (brush strokes or bits of colored pencil sticking up, etc.) then you could also have a Giclée print which is almost impossible to tell from an original without removing from the frame and examining. It is worth noting that some unscrupulous sellers have in the past simply made Giclée prints of an original and sold it along with the legitimate documentation that the original came with, so that doesn't always prove provenance. If you have a copy of the magazine you can compare the minute details against the magazine, allowing for the inevitable color change in the printing process and cropping. Free flowing lines done quickly are best to compare as they are the hardest to replicate. You need to look at the whole picture... so to speak. Good luck!

What museum are you affiliated with? If you prefer to reply via PM that's ok, I am curious.

Hi, it "looks" authentic but that's based on the small image on a computer screen of course. The best thing would be to contact the artist and request a formal authentication letter from him so there will not be a question in the future. Apparently Peter Brock has a direct affiliation with him so starting there may be logical if you can't find direct contact info for Bartell. BRE: George Bartell Artwork

I tried to research auction results with no luck, that will be better than going by eBay or what the artist says, as those values can be understandably skewed. You may wish to contact one of the auto auction houses that also deal in memorabilia and see if their catalogs show past sales of his originals. Be sure to differentiate between this and his lithos/prints as they are much cheaper. If you can't see the artists hand (brush strokes or bits of colored pencil sticking up, etc.) then you could also have a Giclée print which is almost impossible to tell from an original without removing from the frame and examining. It is worth noting that some unscrupulous sellers have in the past simply made Giclée prints of an original and sold it along with the legitimate documentation that the original came with, so that doesn't always prove provenance. If you have a copy of the magazine you can compare the minute details against the magazine, allowing for the inevitable color change in the printing process and cropping. Free flowing lines done quickly are best to compare as they are the hardest to replicate. You need to look at the whole picture... so to speak. Good luck!

What museum are you affiliated with? If you prefer to reply via PM that's ok, I am curious.

Thank you very much, my friend! All of the info is very helpful. I will probably pursue the Peter Brock angle first. That seems the best way of authenticating it/possibly getting in touch with the artist. I hadn't thought of the sales records of auction houses. That's a great idea.

I work at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum just outside of Boston, MA. We've had a flood of donations (mainly books), and this painting was among them.

Thanks again,

Andrew

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Dwight H. Bennett
Thank you very much, my friend! All of the info is very helpful. I will probably pursue the Peter Brock angle first. That seems the best way of authenticating it/possibly getting in touch with the artist. I hadn't thought of the sales records of auction houses. That's a great idea.

I work at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum just outside of Boston, MA. We've had a flood of donations (mainly books), and this painting was among them.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew:

Probably not of any real direct importance, but I can vouch for the fact that the bill of sale listing "L'art et L'automobile was a legitimate gallery in the 1980's.

By the way, I enjoyed the Larz Anderson Museum on my visit to Brookline, MA on 9/19/2010. I met Jay Leno the following March and I happened to be wearing the T-shirt I purchased from the museum, and after asking me if I was from around there, he said he used to spend a lot of time at the museum when he was younger.

~Dwight Bennett