Verification of these two cars

McMalcolm

Attached is part of a photograph that will be used on the back cover of an automobile book. It was taken in Fort Collins, CO around 1912. I'm trying to make sure I get the models of the two end cars correct and I'm not good at identifying them.

Do you think the end car is an Arco Touring Car? Is the one next to it a Model T? Thanks.

post-87926-143139259403_thumb.jpg

The car closest to the camera is a REO, 1910 Model R. The wings point up on the radiator badge, indicating 1910, and the Model R had the scuttle dash that the car in the picture has. This car would have been dark blue with a white/ivory running gear.

The second car, definitely Model T, but to me it looks like a 1914 or later car. I'll let the Ford guys comment on that.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Hi Chuck...a "scuttle" dash is one that slope gently out and back from the hood, as opposed to a "flat dash" which is found on many early cars, just a flat wood dashboard where the hood ends and the body begins. A scuttle dash begins at the back hood former (the pieces that support the back of the hood) and continue smoothly back. Look at the picture and you'll see the windshield is attached well behind the hood, on the sloping (scuttle) dash....

Knowing it's a Reo, then one can look at the fuzzy picture and see that there are "wings" sticking off the side of the radiator badge, identifying it as a 1910...

Flat versus scuttle - got it. Thank you David.

Your willingness to share your knowledge, your professionalism, and dedication to this "sport" of antique car caretaking is paralleled by only a few wonderful folks and because of your passion and cheer, folks like me learn from the best teachers. Thanks again.

Chuck

Well, thanks, I enjoy the forum a lot....I've learned it's fun to both learn new things, and to share information....except about the pressure per square inch a tire exerts on a garage floor being equal to the pressure in the tire....that was a rough thread!!

Hi Chuck...a "scuttle" dash is one that slope gently out and back from the hood, as opposed to a "flat dash" which is found on many early cars, just a flat wood dashboard where the hood ends and the body begins. A scuttle dash begins at the back hood former (the pieces that support the back of the hood) and continue smoothly back. Look at the picture and you'll see the windshield is attached well behind the hood, on the sloping (scuttle) dash....

Knowing it's a Reo, then one can look at the fuzzy picture and see that there are "wings" sticking off the side of the radiator badge, identifying it as a 1910...

May be a 1910, but a different model than this 1910 REO? Rear fenders differ....

post-37352-143139265887_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)