Can anyone recommend a good portable garage?

Guest 37Packard

Guest 37Packard

We have a two car garage and three vehicles that need to be garaged. I've been looking through the hundreds of choices available for portable garages and was wondering if anyone here has bought one and/or could recommend one. I've read some horror stories of them blowing down in storms and damaging the vehicle they were supposed to be protecting so I would rather pay a little more for a good quality one. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Yeah, don't use one for a vehicle you care about. The tarp coverings all shred eventually. If you're lucky that happens before snow or high winds collapse the frame onto the vehicle. I've seen metal versions with corrugated sides, but the tubes still look on the small side to withstand a real storm.

Guest 37Packard

I would be parking either the '37 Packard or my new 2013 Mustang in there and I obviously don't want either one to get damaged. There's a company called Tuff Shed that makes metal buildings that are supposed to be pretty sturdy. We're looking at getting a good sized one, like 30' x 40', so there may be several vehicles parked in it. We gave up on the portable idea since most of them aren't too sturdy in a storm. Has anyone had a garage built by Tuff Shed?

I am having a 22X24 garage built by Tuff Shed right now.... I like the construction of the structure and the reflective roof sheething. Mine will have a storage loft, 6' double doors in the back and one man door on the side as optional extras... They deducted for painting since my son is in that business...

Guest 37Packard

Got any pics, Mark? Is the concrete already poured or are you going to wait until it's built? Do the TS people install the electricity or do you have to find someone else to do it? Are you using their doors or getting them elsewhere and are they going to be remote operated? Thanks....

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I have one of those canvas-over-tube shelters. We bought it at least fifteen years ago to put boys dodge truck in. It's survived snow-belt winters just fine. I now store my tractor in it. When I got it, I spread a layer of pea gravel and then a heavy tarp to barrier the ground moisture. It came with big screws to anchor to the ground. One good thing is that it's classified as temporary so doesn't jack up the property tax.

• 2 weeks later...

Most portable garages that go up around here don't last one year without getting ripped apart by wind. In fact its a running joke that when one goes up we bet on how low it will last based on the specific location. The snow will usually slide off so its the wind thats the most destructive to these types of shelters. If it was just vinyl covering that failed there wouldn't be much concern but the tubing pulls apart and ends up a crumpled mess on top of whatever is underneath it. Now there are a few that have survived a few years and thats because they are in a protected area from the wind. Either sandwiched between other higher buildings or situated in such a way that the geography / trees block winds. If I had to use one of these portable shelters I'd bolt each tubing joint together then anchor each support pole to something heavy like a railroad tie or ground anchors. I would also add reinforcing cross bracing between the tubing in key locations. This way if the vinyl fails at least you still have the structure intact and not on top of your car.

Most of those temporary structures end up costing about a 1/3 the cost of an equivalent sized garage (uninsulated). If you replace it once you're more than half to having paid for a garage that would be there for the rest of your life. It's like another tool, get quality and it will outlast you. Buy junk and you'll throw it in the garbage in months.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Classic50s

I got one through portable garage depot this is the one

http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm?sku=SZ182810H&catid=160

I installed it in February to restore my 59 Buick. The canvas is very strong and I live in Nebraska. We get very high wind and high heat, hail, and heavy snow. It hasn't been up through winter yet to see how it does but so far it has stayed put and held up very well. I got the industrial canvas which has a 10 year warranty. The 2 things you want to keep in mind with tarp buildings is that you have to keep snow from building up on it in winter and to get the correct anchors for the type of ground it will be put on. Since Nebraska is mostly clay I used 1 auger anchor on every side of every 'rib' and put 2 augers on each end rib and the center rib. Winds so far got up to 65 MPH this summer, strong rain and hail and so far not 1 drop of water got through the canvas. I am welding and doing body work on my 59 and must be careful not to catch the building on fire. That is the downside of doing bodywork in 1 of these buildings, but for half the price its worth it.

Had two carports installed by Carolina Carports-18 x 21 and 8' high on outside wall.

They cost 1000. each and included installation. I am impressed with how well built they are and can close them in at any time on my own.

Guys install one in about 3 hrs. You couldn't buy the materials for that price. Very strong and am expecting at least 20 years....

• 1 year later...