!930 Chrysler 66 Bumpers

Guest namvetschrysler

Guest namvetschrysler

The ends of my bumpers where they bolt through the main bumper support at the ends have only ever had a 1/2 inch cup headed bolt joining top and bottom sections, the bolt is quite loose in the bumper ends itself and it seems there may have been some type of bush in the bumper ends, strangely enough the hole in the bumper end does not have parallel sides it seems to flare out at each end (hour glass shape)

So i ask, is there anyone that knows for sure just what went in this hole.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
Guest namvetschrysler

Thanks for that even so i still can't work it out, the Chrome headed bolt that holds the lower bumper section and the top section together after locating through a hole in the main bumper support fits that hole quite tight however when it goes through the bumper ends it is as sloppy as, something is not quite right. the hole in the bumper has not worn to any degree.i feel there must have been some sort of bush in the turned bumper end holes, maybe it was a rubber bush.

Measured the bolt 1/2 inch, hole in bumper end 7/8 inch narrowing to approx 13/16 inch in the centre then back out to 7/8 sort of like an hour glass shape

Edited by namvetschrysler (see edit history)

Do you have any pictures of your bumper ends? I've come across three different varieties of Ser 65 bumpers of which two are bolted together, the original end bolts are all straight with some dimples cut into their sides and at least one of the cars had wiring around the bolt to build up the slack which normally will be present. No rubber seen so far.

Guest namvetschrysler

post-77839-143139279587_thumb.jpgFirst photo is the hole in the curled end of the bumper 7/8 dia hole at the top and bottom but narrowing to 13/16 in the centre (2) the end of the bumper, (3) Bolt, (4) Bolt, (5) how the top and bottom bars bolt together on the bumper support bar, (6) ditto (7) end of the support bar.

Thanks for your interest, i was wondering if this was an Australian configuration but then looking at other Chrysler 65 and 66 on the net they all look to have this set up, i imagine that the wire you found wrapped around the bolt was put there to take up the slack when the bolt went through the bumper end, i think originally there may have been tapered bushes in the bumper ends with a hole in the centre the same size as the bolt 1/2 inch.

Regards

post-77839-143139279498_thumb.jpg

post-77839-143139279514_thumb.jpg

post-77839-143139279529_thumb.jpg

post-77839-143139279545_thumb.jpg

post-77839-14313927956_thumb.jpg

post-77839-143139279574_thumb.jpg

Edited by namvetschrysler (see edit history)

My 1931 DH6 bumper ends are the same as yours. If you are worrying about them wiggling, you can ease your mind. The tension when they are all assembled keep mine from wiggling and probably will keep yours from wiggling, too. You could add a sleeve inside, but it would not be original as far as I know. You may also have to round off the square corners of your carriage bolts under the heads in order for them to seat better. The originals don't have that square under the head.

post-37352-143139279618_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest 1932 CI Chrysler

My 32 has a similar arrangment eccept the bolt is much larger. The head of the bolt has raised lines under the head which act like a carriage head and the bottom has a large washer with the center pressed upward to fit inside the hole in the lower bumper eye. You can easily make one by tack welding two appropriate diameter washers together and it works just fine. I made one and

then I found the original in my stuff. Fritz

post-55453-143139279787_thumb.jpgFrom what I understand, bumpers were an option on early cars.

My holes are rom 5/8 to 3/4 diameter. They are not hour glass shaped. I have never had the front and back bumpers assembled since I have owned the car. I'm with Kaiser. When You assemble the bumpers with center medallions and pre-stressed, I don't think you will have a worry.

My car is a 1930 CJ- 6. The 30, 66 was a little nicer car but basically the same.

Hope this helps.

Bill Harmatuk

post-55453-143139279761_thumb.jpg

post-55453-143139279814_thumb.jpg

Guest 1932 CI Chrysler

If you dont use the washer on the bottom there is nothing to keep the bumper eyelets one above the other,guess how I know? Fritz

My 32 has a similar arrangment eccept the bolt is much larger. The head of the bolt has raised lines under the head which act like a carriage head and the bottom has a large washer with the center pressed upward to fit inside the hole in the lower bumper eye. You can easily make one by tack welding two appropriate diameter washers together and it works just fine. I made one and

then I found the original in my stuff. Fritz

My 1930 model 70's have the dome washer on the bottom above the nut too.

Guest namvetschrysler

Wanting more robust and neat ends on my bumpers i managed to get hold of some Nolathane type material ( actually old skate board wheels) machined then to size and pressed them in and bored the hole out to 1/2 inch, the bumper ends align perfectly with the main support bar and cannot move and look great

Thanks to all who offered advice and posted pic's