36 buick-what is it?

rlcokc

post-32309-143139254231_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to put on fenders and can't identify and don't remember what goes in the hole top left in photo. Behind and above the gas and brake line. There is matching hole on other side and is threaded. Can someone tell me what is supposed to be there? In photo just under the top of the frame rail and beneath the vented engine cover. This is not my car but one I had saved. Thanks in advance.

Rod

Guest KeithElwell

That's the mounting point for a dogleg shaped threaded rod that reaches out and downward and fastens to the edge of your fender at the rear edge of the opening. Otherwise that edge is rather flat and unsupported and could vibrate quite a bit.

Sorry don't take photos or measurements. I am an idiot. I forgot I have sidemounts and the threaded hole I'm referring to must mate with inide of fender and brace for sidemount is I believe just behind this hole. Had this revelation as laying in bed last night. I could still be wrong and if so someone please correct me as I have not taken fender and matched for location but it just makes sense and I don't remeber removing anything from that hole. Of course at my age there are alot of things I don't remember. Thanks for offer and let me know if this doesn't make sense--the sidemount fender attaching with use of threaded hole.

Thanks again

Rod

I have a 1936 Special Sedan with dual side mounts. My frame has those threaded holes as well, but there was nothing in them. The fender brace for the side mounts is located about 8 inches behind these holes. It's attached by two bolts in the frame. I've attached a picture of the right side that shows the bolts. I'm also posting a picture of the left side with the fender bracing "mocked up". There is a support to the outer fender but it is a flat strip that is welded to the edge of the lower fender and the bottom of the fender well. The third photo shows this bracket. I rewelded it when I replaced the wells in my fenders, so you're looking at my poor welds.

post-36877-143139255907_thumb.jpg

post-36877-143139255904_thumb.jpg

post-36877-143139256162_thumb.jpg

Greg

Thanks for response. I pulled the tape off my fenders as underside had been covered for painting and found the brace and no way to use the hole I was looking at. My braces are welded on and appear to be original. I would assume yours were replaced at some point. Appreciate your response and help in answering my question. I've gone to your site on many occasions and used some of your photos for reference. Don't know how often you get a "well don and thanks" but I do appreciate the effort.

Rod

Guest KeithElwell

36 Buick Fender Rod.pdf

Looks like you boys have this figured out but here's my input as promised.

I think that threaded hole is for the rod that I described before and is now sketched as attached. I took photos of the rod also but the file size is too big to let me upload. Send me a private email and I should be able to email to you. elwellk_d@yahoo.com

I think this rod is only used for a non-welled (not sidemount spare) standard fender. The welled fender has a welded brace from the bottom of the well over to this same point on the fender lower edge behind the wheel opening where the rod would otherwise bolt on. Make sense?

I can claim to understand this because (unfortunately) I have a welled fender for the left side and a non-welled fender for the right side. Thanks to Greg himself I am in the process of salvaging a well for the right side and I will cut a hole in my standard fender and weld in this well at some point in the future.