THE 1953 BUICK WILDCAT MOTORAMA SHOW CAR & IT'S INFLUNENCE ON 1954 & 1955 BUICKS

Guest David_Temple
The XP-300 also had a hardtop, but it was a removable one.

I recently came across a copy of the April 2010 issue of Collectible Automobile. There is an excellent 20 page write up on the XP-300 and Charles A. Chayne the head of GM engineering and whose personal car was the XP-300. According to the article, the removable hardtop is still intact and in storage today. My guess at the Sloan Museum where the XP-300 is on display.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]163406[/ATTACH]

www.sloanlongway.org

Yes, the hardtop is at the Sloan Museum. I've seen it. However, it can no longer be affixed to the XP-300 due to changes made to the car long ago. As originally built, the XP-300 had a retractable rear window; that was removed. Therefore, there is no rear glass for the top. Furthermore, the mounting hardware for the top was deleted. The car does have a convertible top, but it is in poor condition. I've seen it, too.

Here is an original press photo that I have recently added to my collection.

The XP-300 with Charles A. Chayne

Second photo gives all the particulars. (From the back of the press photo.)

Original Boston-Record-American newspaper photo.

Boston American no longer in business.

post-58764-143139264523_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139264532_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

• 7 months later...
Guest BortzCars
"Everything old is new again".

The 1953 Buick Wildcat I will be on display at the Geneva Concours d'Elegance August 25, 2013. Stop by and see the car and say hello to Joe Bortz.post-89006-143142024267_thumb.jpg

The 1953 Buick Wildcat I will be on display at the Geneva Concours d'Elegance August 25, 2013. Stop by and see the car and say hello to Joe Bortz.[ATTACH=CONFIG]203605[/ATTACH]

Thanks for stopping by and posting. Would love to see Joes collection some day.

Here is the link to the Concours show Geneva Concours d'Elegance 2013

Bortz_Flyer-v7.jpg

After posting this on another thread today 11-8-12; I thought this subject should have it's own thread.

I recently came across a photo of a hardtop version of the Buick Wildcat Show Car.

I'm certain most of us are aware of the convertible version of the Wildcat. I was not aware of the hardtop.

In my view the hardtop version influenced the 1955 Buick lineup.

The convertible influenced the 1954 Roadmaster.

Listed below are some of the differences.

1. The sweep spear.

2. The open rear wheel well.

3. The lack of vents on the rear quarter panel.

4. No fender skirts.

5. Different hubcaps. ( May have influenced The 1954 hubcaps)

6. The rear bumper appears to be different.

If we all look a bit closer I'm certain there are other differences, but the ones I listed appeared to be the obvious ones.

I've posted both Wildcat versions for comparison.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It looks like the styling people at Kaiser liked the grille and headlights for their 1954. - Dan

post-54279-143142024417_thumb.jpg

The 1953 Buick Wildcat I will be on display at the Geneva Concours d'Elegance August 25, 2013. Stop by and see the car and say hello to Joe Bortz.[ATTACH=CONFIG]203605[/ATTACH]

Joe. Thank you for the info. I too would love to see your collection some day.

MrEarl: Thanks for stopping by and posting. Would love to see Joes collection some day.

Here is the link to the Concours show Geneva Concours d'Elegance 2013

Larmar, when did you become a Connoisseur of Concourses?? :):)

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Debbie, Thank you so much for checking back in and bringing this back around. I just spent my morning coffee hour looking at Joe's website (again) and reading all the referenced magazine articles written by or about Joe. I am always amazed at seeing pictures of Joe back in the late 50's and 60's which remind us of just how long he has loved cars these. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with him at Amelia Island in 2013. He is such a personable guy, it was like we had known each other for years.

We would love to see him and the 1953 Wildcat at a BCA Nationals some year. Springfield MO is coming up mid-June 2015. There should be a nice collection of '53-'54 Buick's (perhaps even an old love of Joe's,the "Landau" ) there to share the spotlight and allow comparisons to the Wildcat. Maybe???

Again thanks for checking in and hey, don't be a stranger. buba.gif

Guest BortzCars
Debbie, Thank you so much for checking back in and bringing this back around. I just spent my morning coffee hour looking at Joe's website (again) and reading all the referenced magazine articles written by or about Joe. I am always amazed at seeing pictures of Joe back in the late 50's and 60's which remind us of just how long he has loved cars these. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with him at Amelia Island in 2013. He is such a personable guy, it was like we had known each other for years.

We would love to see him and the 1953 Wildcat at a BCA Nationals some year. Springfield MO is coming up mid-June 2015. There should be a nice collection of '53-'54 Buick's (perhaps even an old love of Joe's,the "Landau" ) there to share the spotlight and allow comparisons to the Wildcat. Maybe???

Again thanks for checking in and hey, don't be a stranger. buba.gif

Joe loved the video of the LeSabre! Joe read your post above and wanted to know if you could give him a call next Wednesday Aug. 6th about BCA Nationals Springfield MO mid-June 2015? He is in California this week for auctions. Debbie

Edited by MrEarl
removed cell and email for security purposes aka "phishing robots" (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Joe loved the video of the LeSabre! Joe read your post above and wanted to know if you could give him a call next Wednesday Aug. 6th about BCA Nationals Springfield MO mid-June 2015? He is in California this week for auctions. Debbie

I put it on my calendar to call. THANKS Debbie.

Spoke with Joe back on the 6th and again today. He is excited about possibly bringing the Wildcat I to Springfield. I don't think I would be out of line by saying that if you would like to see the car there and hear Joe speak about it, it's history and restoration (incl the hubcap story), let the board members know.

Here is another thread about the Wildcat started by Charles Barnett, someone who truly appreciated the car as well as some other well known Buicks. This thread is also interesting because in it, a certain 55 prototype that had been stored away for years caught the attention Mr Bob the cod Coker, and the rest is history.

enjoy.... http://forums.aaca.org/f115/joe-bortz-article-may-2010-bugle-282154.html

Spoke with Joe back on the 6th and again today. He is excited about possibly bringing the Wildcat I to Springfield. I don't think I would be out of line by saying that if you would like to see the car there and hear Joe speak about it, it's history and restoration (incl the hubcap story), let the board members know.

]

Good work Lamar, let's hope the Wildcat makes the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
David.

Thank you for providing this information. Great insight and I wish you could post at least one photo. Hope the second book works out for you. How do I find your first one? I'd love to have one.

Please one picture......please. You have us intrigued.

Dave, there are a couple of used ones on Amazon at about the lowest I have seen them. $119. Still more than I can pay but still watching for that surprise deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0760328269/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

By the way, I have it on pretty good authority that it is looking good that the Wildcat I will be at the Springfield Nationals. !!!!!!! Yeeehaaaa

Dave, there are a couple of used ones on Amazon at about the lowest I have seen them. $119. Still more than I can pay but still watching for that surprise deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0760328269/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

By the way, I have it on pretty good authority that it is looking good that the Wildcat I will be at the Springfield Nationals. !!!!!!! Yeeehaaaa

Lamar;

FYI .... This was in today's ( 11/28/14 ) Hemmings daily e-newsletter:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/11/28/buick-wildcat-i-to-highlight-next-years-buick-national-meet/?refer=news

Ed

Edited by Ed Pentico
correct typo (see edit history)

Wow, thanks Ed!!! Great article about a great car and some great publicity for the club!! Just think of all the additional spectators that and other articles will generate for the meet! Now if only the Landau could be there by it's side!

That is great news, and yes let's hope The Landau will be there too.

Let's hope all these great cars will be in Allentown, Pa in 2016 for the 50th Anniversary of the BCA.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All.

The 1953 Wildcat Diecast Model is now out in the marketplace.

There are several sellers listing them on eBay.

They are pricey but excellent quality.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_sop=10&_sacat=0&_nkw=1953+Buick+wildcat+I+Minichamps+1/18&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

$_57.JPG

• 1 month later...
Port holes & rear skirts?
and rear sweepspear

Correct except the portholes are on both Wildcats.

Also, the rear skirts were not detachable. It was a solid portion of the rear quater panel.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f115/162357d1352424067-1953-buick-wildcat-motorama-show-car-1953-buick-wildcat-hardtop.jpg

This slide was taken by an amateur photographer. It is a very rare Kodachrome of the very rare Buick Wildcat I. It has has never been published to my knowledge and to the knowledge of some whose thoughts I solicited.

It was taken at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in 1953.

I was extremely fortunate to have been able to obtain it.

I will be posting in other Buick forums so as many Buick fans can enjoy.

So here it is..............

1953 Buick Wildcat I.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)

• 8 years later...
  • 4 months later...