1941 Champions

Guest ChampionJohn

Guest ChampionJohn

Would anyone happen to know the numbers of each type of Champions that were produced in 1941(i.e. 2DR Coupes, 2 Dr Sedans and 4 DR Sedans)

Guest ChampionJohn

Thank you very much studeq,

It is probably too much to ask if there was a breakdown by trim levels. As the proud owner of a 1941 myself, I am always interested in determining how many more of my type are still out there.

Thanks again.

Guest ChampionJohn

Well I appreciate the thought but I have a 2 dr Sedan, not a coupe. Every where I have looked for information only covers the grand total produced for the year, not by body style.

John

Guest ChampionJohn

Well not exactly. Currently under a complete off the frame restoration and it is a F5 version. But other than that yes it does.

Guest ChampionJohn

Studeq,

With all your knowledge of these car, can you give me a breakdown of the differences between the trim versions.

I am attempting to restore mine to the orginal condition and would like to make sure that I get it right.

Thank you

John

post-30776-143139255602_thumb.jpg

The standard equipment available on each trim level is shown above. It should be remembered however that one could order a "Custom" model then add any of the individual options/accessories separately. For example the "Custom" was solid color interior and exterior but you could order a "custom" and get the two tone paint at extra charge. Also true of any other items like the Deluxe steering wheel, rear fender gravel guards, etc.

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

For what it may be worth I did a rather comprehensive 5300 word article (with 30+ photos) on the 1941-46 Studebaker Champions for the April 2011 issue of Collectible Automobile magazine. They can be ordered directly from the publisher or they are on Ebay sometimes. Here is one now running but too expensive in my opinion: April 2011 Collectible Automobile Magazine 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne Hardtop | eBay

Guest ChampionJohn

Studeq,

I am going to ask a really dumb question. According to the sheet you attached to this thread, my original tires were 5.50X16 blackwalls. Would you happen by chance to know what size that would be in mordern terms?

I reached out to Tire Rack and they could not tell me what size the vehicle required.

Thank you

John

Guest ChampionJohn

Studeq,

Let me ask this then, when the sheet above says that the tires were Blackwall, is that a type of tire? I looked at the Coker site and they offer a Firestone Blackwall that actually had a white wall to it. Am I just confused?

John

Blackwalls were black and whitewalls were white (at least approx 3" wide white). The tire companies sell both, they just happened to display the white for eye appeal (of course they are more expensive). Whitewalls were an option on all cars of that vintage incl Studebaker. See my two cars of which I posted photos previously, one has white, one black. Personally I like the whitewall but that is a matter of personal preference.

Guest ChampionJohn

Studeq,

All of those options would be listed on the Production Order would they not? Was there any options that were installed at the dealership?

Thank you

John

Guest ChampionJohn

Well then that leads to 2 more questions. Which ones where factory and which one were dealer installed? And secondly, would you have a website or respository with this information I could research?

I know that my vehicle was produced on 27DEC1940 and shipped to Guntersville, Al and never left the state. From that point on, I have no other documentation to ID what options to install.

John