Metal Stamping?

Guest rramer

I was looking to get some metal stamped. A custom tailgate for my father's truck, maybe hub caps stamped. Anyone recommend someone? Is there someone on the AACA that does this? If I can't find it local I want to support my new "online" community.

Thanks for your time and support!!

rr

My brother is doing the restore, we are going to give a 1958 Chevy truck to our dad in December 2013. We wanted to have our last name pressed into the tailgate or his artist initials TR pressed in to the tailgate or the hubcaps. Antler Art by Tony Ramer That's our dad.

My brother is doing the restore, we are going to give a 1958 Chevy truck to our dad in December 2013. We wanted to have our last name pressed into the tailgate or his artist initials TR pressed in to the tailgate or the hubcaps. Antler Art by Tony Ramer That's our dad.

Great thought but this is going to be difficult and/or expensive. You MIGHT be able to find someone who can stamp individual letters (sort of like stamping license plates). I suspect that hand-painted lettering will be much easier.

The hubcaps could be "stamped" using Repoussé if the design isn't too complex. You might find someone in your area who could do it. You could get a good pinstriper to personalize the tailgate. A clever signpainter could airbrush letters that look three-dimensional.

Phil

The hubcaps could be "stamped" using Repoussé if the design isn't too complex. You might find someone in your area who could do it. You could get a good pinstriper to personalize the tailgate. A clever signpainter could airbrush letters that look three-dimensional.

Phil

Don't know nuthin' about no "Repousse", but customizers routinely build hardwood dies and hand form sheet metal into them. For limited use this might be a way to go, but again, it won't be cheap. As for the tailgate, what hot rodders often do is find (or fabricate) a stamped logo on flat sheet metal then cut out and butt weld in this panel into the tailgate (or whatever). Of course, the folks who are skilled enough to perform this fabrication aren't inexpensive.

Probably the easiest way would be to buy a plain tailgate as I mentioned above.

Get the letters you want laser cut from 3/16 plate steel (or even stainless steel if you want to polish them) and then drill holes in the tailgate behind the letters and spot weld them on from the back with a TIG or MIG welder.

Grind the welds flush on the back side of the tailgate and your are done.

You can make your own die by cutting a piece of MDF with a router then use a heavy duty hydraulic press to press a sheet of metal. You could press the name right into the tailgate if you can buy a blank aftermarket tailgate or press a piece of metal then weld it in.

Have seen magazine articles on doing this. There may be something online at some hot rod site.

• 5 months later...
You can make your own die by cutting a piece of MDF with a router then use a heavy duty hydraulic press to press a sheet of metal. You could press the name right into the tailgate if you can buy a blank aftermarket tailgate or press a piece of metal then weld it in.

Have seen magazine articles on doing this. There may be something online at some hot rod site.

What is MDF ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Curti

MDF is medium density fiberboard. Works like wood, use wood working tools, and paints like wood. A die made from MDF would probably be good for only one use.

• 1 month later...
Guest samronald

Metal Stamping is a process of creating metal products by applying extreme pressure to a blank metal piece and forming the metal components into desired moulded designs and shapes. The Metal Stamping Machine incorporates with a specially made die, which delivers the Stamping On Metal part into desired shapes.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest cnmetalfab

Hi guys,

We are manufacturer in china, which speciallized in metal stamping and deep drawing.

Our website: http://www.cnmetalfab.com/

If you have any new projects on metal parts, maybe we can make for  you at competitive prices.

Mill the name/logo/design into 1" thick steel plate. lay piece of sheet steel on plate. Cover with 1/8" thick sheet of Semtex . Cover that with 6"-12" of mud. Move to safe distance and detonate. Straighten newly embossed sheet as required and weld, attach, or form into tail gate. .............Bob