Chrysler 72 information

Guest Malcolm Collinson

Guest Malcolm Collinson

Hi all at AACA, I am new to this site, I have a restoration business in the UK, a Chrysler 72 has just arrived from New York, I think it was made in 1928/29, Chassis No. CW830D, Engine No. J201241, Body No. R-1187-J where can I buy parts and check out the history of this car?

Any help much appreciated

Hi all at AACA, I am new to this site, I have a restoration business in the UK, a Chrysler 72 has just arrived from New York, I think it was made in 1928/29, Chassis No. CW830D, Engine No. J201241, Body No. R-1187-J where can I buy parts and check out the history of this car?

Any help much appreciated

What parts do you need?? A good place to go....http://www.chryslerclub.org/

Guest Malcolm Collinson
post-89225-143139245476_thumb.jpg I am turning the car into an endurance rally/race car for a client, I need 4 brake drums, king pins and bushes, set of wire wheels with hubs etc, I have just replaced the clutch, new wheel bearings are on order, radiator is being re-cored, lots of other work required!! does the chassis, engine and body numbers confirm it is a Model 72 Sports roadster?

post-89225-143139245458_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Malcolm Collinson

Thank you Harry for confirming this, after a rally in May it is planned to repaint the car and modify it to a race car, do you know what colours the 3rd and 4th cars were? yes it has a red head engine, No. J201241, in what way has it been modified? www.collinson-jaguar.co.uk

Malcolm, The modifications I can see on a quick look include, seal beam headlights, radiator splash shield, and running boards; there maybe others. The red head engine has a high (6 to 1) compression head; the block is the same for all three variations of the motor. Colors of the three participants.........well.......I'm not sure. Chrysler Corp. shown a car at Hilton Head a few years ago," #8" of the race team of Le Mans '28; it was painted yellow.

Malcolm...........If your customer would back it; I would try to reproduce one of the Le Mans cars...........the steering geometery for this car is exceptional for it's day, thus it handles quite well and the external contracting hydraulics are very good. It will move on along.

Guest Malcolm Collinson

Thank you for the reply, what is the difference between the Standard and Deluxe Sport? can anyone tell me what the valve clearances are please? I have no information on the car

Malcolm........................Chrysler Corp's Historical data collection can supply you with original pics of the two roadster body styles...........................as for the valves........the valve tappets when cold (both intake and exhaust) should be set at .008"................yet should be checked when warm at .006" for the exhaust and .004" for the intake as per the owner's manual.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Malcolm Collinson

Hello Harry, Starter motor is now fitted, started the engine last week and when hot revs really well, have not checked the valve clearances yet, compressions are all 110-115 psi, oil pressure is good, water temp is good, have checked the dynamo output (not regulated) and are getting 50 plus volts so should be enough to keep the 12 volt battery charged, owners hand book arrived last week, fitted new wheel bearings with lip seals all round, just need to buy shims as no end float on rear hubs, might have found a man with a set of brake drums, wire wheels and hubs etc, just starting to make brackets to fit (non original) telescopic shock absorbers, I will keep you posted with photos.

• 1 month later...
Guest Malcolm Collinson

I am having problems sending pictures at the moment, kingpins are all stripped out waiting for new parts, timing chain had excessive wear, (have another one) just waiting for the dynamo to be repaired, valve clearances checked and adjusted, were a long way out of adjustment. Andre Hartford shock absorbers on order, will post pics. asap