THE 1954 BUICK LANDAU

I recently came across this B&W photo of The 1954 Buick Landau on the web. The web site states it's from an unknown location and an unknown date.

The photo code at the bottom left hand side indicates the photographer's name was Evans. The date it was taken; September 8, 1954. I'm not certain what the code means at the bottom right hand side. I believe it's a file number of the photo.

The Landau appears to be quite unkempt and the garage in my view a bit of a dump.

The other car in the photo appears to be a Cadillac with the trunk up and and the rear passenger side door open.

The question is this.

Where was this photograph taken?

post-58764-143139241693_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I recently came across this B&W photo of The 1954 Buick Landau on the web. The web site states it's from an unknown location and an unknown date.

The photo code at the bottom left hand side indicates the photographer's name was Evans. The date it was taken; September 8, 1954. I'm not certain what the code means at the bottom right hand side. I believe it's a file number of the photo.

The Landau appears to be quite unkempt and the garage in my view a bit of a dump.

The other car in the photo appears to be a Cadillac with the trunk up and and the rear passenger side door open.

The question is this.

Where was this photograph taken?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]161228[/ATTACH]

Paint cans on the shelf and a spray gun on the wall suggests that this is a body shop...also painters often wore white.

• Like 1

Paint cans on the shelf and a spray gun on the wall suggests that this is a body shop...also painters often wore white.

I saw that also, which gave me the thought that this may be a GM customising shop.

The Cadillac I thought may support the idea of a GM custom shop.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

But where? What state? What town?

Guest Jack Stacey

Maybe one of the Fisher body plants? Either 21 or 1 in Flint MI, or Detroit MI. Those windows look similar to the Fisher plants, but then again, a lot of factories in the 50's had those windows. It could be that they were prepping it for one of the Motorama shows that year, since it missed the '53 Motorama.

Maybe one of the Fisher body plants? Either 21 or 1 in Flint MI, or Detroit MI. Those windows look similar to the Fisher plants, but then again, a lot of factories in the 50's had those windows. It could be that they were prepping it for one of the Motorama shows that year, since it missed the '53 Motorama.

I think Jack is onto something.

I found these photos of the Landau, taken at the BCA National in Danvers last year. (from the web)

post-58764-143139244672_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139244675_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139244678_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Sir: For more detailed information on this one-of-a-kind Motorama car, find a copy of the Sept 2010 issue of Classic Car. It details the history of the Landau, orginally owned by my Dad, Robert F. Blair. The car won the AACA Senior Car Award last year and is owned by Bob Coker. You can see more about it on You Tube as well. The interior has been completely redone and car looks brand new. It still has only 24,000 miles on it. I got to drive it at a showing in Texarkana in 2008.

Robert K. Blair

Austin, TX

• Thanks 1

Dear Sir: For more detailed information on this one-of-a-kind Motorama car, find a copy of the Sept 2010 issue of Classic Car. It details the history of the Landau, originally owned by my Dad, Robert F. Blair. The car won the AACA Senior Car Award last year and is owned by Bob Coker. You can see more about it on You Tube as well. The interior has been completely redone and car looks brand new. It still has only 24,000 miles on it. I got to drive it at a showing in Texarkana in 2008.

Robert K. Blair

Austin, TX

Robert;

Thank you for the info.

I do have the issue you mentioned of Classic Car and I have also seen several of the uploads on You Tube that you mentioned.

Last year I had the good fortune of seeing "The Landau" at the Buick Nationals in Danvers, Ma.

The car is just.......well...... gorgeous.

One of the best Buicks that I have seen, and have had a chance to enjoy, and admire.

The car is stunning and its history is remarkable. Your family's ownership and involvement with "The Landau" adds to it's flavored history.

Bob Coker has done an excellent job with it and also allowing others to see and enjoy the car.

I hope that will continue in the future of "The Landau".

I admit to being a bonafide "Buick Nut" and can not get enough of this car.

Mr Earl I sure, would understand my sentiment.

There is also a book on GM's Motorama Cars, which details ALL of the Motorama show cars GM had up until the last ones, in the later 1960s(?). Quite a book! Seems like there are some factory pictures of the "beverage service" depolyed in the rear seating area, too? Or possibly the similar things in a later Cadillac suicide-door sedan? It's a great book, when I looked at it . . . about the time the "Landau" subject came up in here.

Thanks for the additional comments, Mr. Blair! Glad to see you're in here!

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

Dear Sir: For more detailed information on this one-of-a-kind Motorama car, find a copy of the Sept 2010 issue of Classic Car. It details the history of the Landau, orginally owned by my Dad, Robert F. Blair. The car won the AACA Senior Car Award last year and is owned by Bob Coker. You can see more about it on You Tube as well. The interior has been completely redone and car looks brand new. It still has only 24,000 miles on it. I got to drive it at a showing in Texarkana in 2008.

Robert K. Blair

Austin, TX

Hi Robert,

you recognize this feller I'm sure

post-31987-143139278388_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139278391_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139278394_thumb.jpg

Hey Lamar, Is that third photo a Girl On Buick?

I noticed with interest (in the third photo), how the sweep spear, and the placement of the Century logo; are dramatically different to that of the actual 1954 production car.

post-58764-143139278417_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139278399_thumb.jpg

Good eye Dave. Yes these are some old 4 inch glass slides from '53 and '54. The Century depicted here was possibly an early design consideration, with the rear part of the sweep spear similar to that of a sedan.

And boy those judges are about to fall off the stands gawking at that nice car eh?

Hate me if you wish, but I have a very hard time understanding the trunk lid and straps. I'm just not a lover of 4-door verts either. They are prone to SHAKE, RATTLE and ROLL. IMO. I guess if you are the President on parade.

With that said, EACH TO HIS/HER OWN.

If you love it, GOOD FOR YOU.

Dale in Indy

That picture in the body shop - it appears that the Landau has its sweep spear removed and is just the outline.
Hate me if you wish, but I have a very hard time understanding the trunk lid and straps. I'm just not a lover of 4-door verts either. They are prone to SHAKE, RATTLE and ROLL. IMO. I guess if you are the President on parade.

With that said, EACH TO HIS/HER OWN.

If you love it, GOOD FOR YOU.

Dale in Indy

Keith:

I too noticed something wrong with the side of "The Landau", but i couldn't put my finger on it. You may recall my comments in the opening post, "The Landau appears to be quite unkempt....."

Dale:

I always enjoy your comments even though we are not always in agreement. The beauty of the forums, to express opinion and not hate anyone for expressing the truth.

One may not like the truth, but don't hate the messenger.

My reasons for enjoying "The Landau" are numerous. I look toward "The Landau" show car, not as a glimpse into the future but rather a view to the past.

The entire concept of "The Landau" was to take a modern car (at its time) and turn it into a classic luxury automobile. Reminiscent of the late '20's thru the very early '40's.

It was more about what Buick was, rather than where it was going. The other show cars were doing that job. It was not about technology or innovation, but rather "Class and Style".

My photos and link below, explains it much better than I.

The second & third photos shows The 1941 Buick Limited Brunn Bodied Landau. Buicks example of their effort into the "Luxury Field". It could have worked, but Cadillac put a stop to that.

See the link below of a related thread I started three years ago.

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/1940-1941-buick-brunn-bodied-coachwork-274541.html

post-58764-143139279018_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139279158_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139279161_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks David, you did GOOD in explaining, like I said, "If you love it, GOOD FOR YOU.

Never have I, or will I, ever try to talk someone out of their likes or dislikes. I was just trimming the tree. Maybe someday I will explain that statement, hehehe.

I know I'm a tad weird, but I'm a nice guy......., and having fun, " FUN IS GOOD"

Dale in Indy

Before there were real "trunks" made into cars, they were external to the vehicle . . . especially IF there was a rumble seat AND people liked to travel. Hence, the additional look of an external trunk (complete with leather straps to keep it situated and closed) on the Landau is there to impart "someone of means", who can afford to travel on trips (longer than the weekend . . . as in a "steamer trunk"?). Of course, that four door Buick would be perfect for travelling! Kind of like the implication of "old money", rather than "showey new money" (which would include Cadillacs, back then).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 4 months later...

Tha's an optical illusion y'all, I'm really not that big. Between the lowered roof line and stationary front seat being inches away from the steering wheel, I've always wondered who the heck the chauffeur was for those Buick executives back in the day. Bob fits much better than I. NOT complainin mind ya, just sayin....

post-58764-143141878426_thumb.jpg

Here are two photos of "The Landau" I have not seen before.

It appears that the Buick is on the floor of a dealership showroom.

I believe the info at the lower left hand corner of the photo is the name of the photographer and the date the photo was taken. The date appears to read 5-26-54. The number at the lower right hand side should be the file number of the photo.

Note: "The Landau" has it's original hubcaps in this photo. Dating this well before the hubcaps were stolen.

Additional Note: There appears to be a family crest on the passenger door.

The emblem on the wall above "The Landau's" trunk is intriguing. Is it the dealership logo or maybe a proposed "Landau" emblem?

Anyone have info on the photos?

post-58764-143141878423_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

That's an Oldsmobile logo on the wall. I can't see the crest on the door. Well, I can see it but it's too small to tell what it is.

post-75106-143141879164_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

Maybe they took it to an Oldsmobile dealership to show them what they were missing.;):D

I`ve been unable to verify when it went to NYC but it was used as an executive car.

A title was issued to GM on Dec 19 1958

Then assigned to Robert F Blair May 7 1958

RFB didn`t change the title until Feb 5 1963 and

probably sold the car at that time.

I`ve found another factory photo of it dated the same as the one Dave posted.

The tour ended in Chicago on May 2 54, I`m guessing the photos were taken ater returning to MI.

post-30661-143141881396_thumb.jpg

Bob: Thanks for posting the photo.

The photo appeared sideways on my iPad. So I took the liberty of making it right side up.

Hope that's OK with all concerned.

Bob is correct, the photo has the same info as the two I posted and in the same showroom.

Wish I knew where this was.

post-58764-143141882099_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest David_Temple

The photos of the Landau taken in May of 1954 are new to me. I do not know the occasion, but what is interesting about them is the landau convertible top is in place. It was not for at least part - if not all - of the GM Motorama. On another note... at my request Bob Coker emailed a photo of the Landau's VIN plate. It begins, 2667xxx. According to a website I visited, this a pre-1954 type sequence with the first digit representing the assembly plant. If true, this means the car was built at the South Gate, CA plant. The remaining six digits represent the unit number. Furthermore, beginning in 1954 another style was used for the VIN with a letter in the second position representing the model year such as "A" for 1954. Is all of this correct? If so, am I correct in believing the Landau was built as a pilot line 1954 and serialed like a 1953? The car's body number is G5. What does this mean?

...at my request Bob Coker emailed a photo of the Landau's VIN plate. It begins, 2667xxx. According to a website I visited, this a pre-1954 type sequence with the first digit representing the assembly plant. If true, this means the car was built at the South Gate, CA plant. The remaining six digits represent the unit number. Furthermore, beginning in 1954 another style was used for the VIN with a letter in the second position representing the model year such as "A" for 1954. Is all of this correct? If so, am I correct in believing the Landau was built as a pilot line 1954 and serialed like a 1953? The car's body number is G5. What does this mean?

From every thing that I have read, The Landau was built on a 1953 Roadmaster chassis. This in my view would explain the 1953 serialized vin plate.

From every thing that I have read, The Landau was built on a 1953 Roadmaster chassis. This in my view would explain the 1953 serialized vin plate.

Dave,

I`ve read several places that it has a 53 chassic...not so, it is a 1954 chassis and a 1953 drive train.

Bob

• Like 1