Interesting find 1933 Dodge Sedan Delivery

Guest 33chrysler

Guest 33chrysler

I was inventorying my collection of parts and came across the original fenders off my sedan delivery. The whole front clip was replaced by my father 40 years ago from a pick up. I have looked and looked and can't find another commercial vehicle equipped this way. Has anyone seen another commercial vehicle equipped this way? I have considered they were replaced before but could not find any paint evidence of this.

Thanks Russ

Picture001hj.jpg

Picture002uj.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

You have quite an assortment of parts. The front fenders are off a 1933 Dodge car or a 1933,'34 or '35 Dodge 'Commercial Car',pick up or van or just a cowl and chassis with no body. The chrome rad shell in the background is also off the same vehicles. The 2 light biege colored rear fenders laying beside the chrome rad shell are also off a Dodge of 1933 vintage possibly the 1/2 ton trucks. I seem to also recognize the gray colored arched piece of metal in the center of the photo. It appears to be the front fender support for the Dodge front fenders. But I'm not sure I understand your question. Could you state it in another way? What do you mean "you have never seen another commercial vehicle equipped this way". It was actually quite common in the 20s and 30s for manufacturers to make 1/2 ton commercial vehicles using their car sheet metal. Chrysler did it with their Dodge and Plymouths.

Guest 33chrysler

Well I thought the picture was self explanatory. Let me put it another way, Has any one ever seen a 33-35 Dodge commercial vehicle with a drivers side spare tire? There is no evidence that the passenger fender was replaced from a passenger car and the drivers fender replaced from a dual fender mount passenger car.

Thanks Russ

Guest DodgeKCL

As far as I can figure all 1/2 ton Commercial Cars came with a side mount spare. It is listed on the build sheet as 'FF Well'. Mine did but apparently was removed at some time. When I got the truck it had plain front fenders on it and there was no sign of the metal fittings or nuts and bolts on the frame. Normally the spare was on the right side or sidewalk side so the owner/driver did not have to stand on the highway to remove the spare. However I have seen them both ways today. But this may be restorers putting them on the left fender through ignorance. If you see a Dodge Commercial Car today and it has 2 sidemounts it was either a special order originally ,"option", or someone has doen it during the restoration. The build sheet would say if it had '2 FF Wells' or not. Does that answer your question?

Guest DodgeKCL

My computer wasn't downloading the photos of the KC pickup. I got the download today. Yes case in point. There are so many things wrong here I don't know where to start. However I did find a photo with a left side sidemount on a 1935 KCL 1/2 ton van. The photo quality is awful and I do not know the year it was taken. Although it appears old. Was there another on the other side? Who put the left one on? Did the truck come with dual sidemounts? The truck appears to be a working truck from some years ago. Would I question a restored truck today that had dual sidemounts. Most likely not. As long as that's all the guy did and the rest of the truck was correct. Unlike the pickup in your photos. But 99% of my photos from those years did show only a right side sidemount.

post-31311-143139256623_thumb.jpg

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Hi all

The hood 'side panels' on this truck look like 33 Chrysler to me and I see some on the photos of parts as well but have no knowledge of a Chrysler commercial product with these hood louvres on. ( of course the ones in your photos are spares for your sedan).

I have a 33 H.C. roadster ute bodied in Australia as well as a 34 K.C. roadster ute by the same company (T.J.Richards).

33 has wheel well on what is your U.S. passenger side while the 34 has it on your drivers side. My 35 K.C.L. coupe ute has it on your passenger side and while this is also a T.J.R. bodied 'truck' it came to Australia as a 'windscreen cowl' and as such it has the U.S. 'A' pillars and the 'extra' louvre in the hood. (the local Aussie cars have one less than the U.S. made hoods).

Get a copy of 'Dodge piickups' (history and restoration guide 1918-1971) by Don Bunn and Tom Brownell (ISBN 0-87938-491-3).

It has a lot of useful info to do with truck and car differences in this era.

Also does anyone have a 34 Chrysler C.A. engine they don't want as I am helping a mate with his retoration and he would like another for his town sedan (C.B.) which uses the C.A. prefix engine?

I hope I have been able to help you a little.

Beetles

ImageUploadedByTJJ1341989967640811.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1341990017865101.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest dodge21man

Hi Russ, I am looking for hood sides with doors like the ones shown in your picture. Are those Available? Thanks, dodge21man (859-321-3475)

• 4 weeks later...

Dual sidemounts were, as far as I am aware, always an option on the commercial vehicles, at least as far as the commercial sedan and commercial panel (humpback) were concerned. Examples: The January 1933 Sales brochure for the "New Finer, More Beautiful Dodge Commercial Sedan" lists "six wheels mounted in fender wells" as available "EXTRA EQUIPMENT". The April 1934 sales brochure for the KC and KCL lists the same "EXTRA EQUIPMENT". The May 1935 sales brochure for the KC and KCL has similar language, "six wheels with spares mounting in fender wells". While none of those show a left (driver's side) mounted spare, one is shown on a 35 (first series) KCL advertising brochure I have, with another pair of left-sidemount KCL panels shown in a January 1934 Dodge "Dependable Trucks for Department Stores" sales brochure, the panels apparently just having been delivered to a Philly department store called Dewees. The Ross Roy Comparative Handbook for 3/1/35 lists for both the KC and the KCL lists a "Six Wheel" extra equipment option with "extra fender well and tire lock" for $10 if you wanted 5.25/17 steel spoke wheels/tires or $30 if you wanted 6.00/16 steel spoke wheels/tires. Finally, pages 176 and 177 of the "Dodge and Plymouth Parts Buyers Guide, A Catalogue of Original Factory Parts", Chrysler Corporation publication D-3532 with prices effective 11/15/35, lists both left and right side welled fenders for the HC, HCL, KC and KCL--$13 each, choice of enamel or primed. How times have changed! My 34 KCL humpback has a standard, right side spare with no evidence of ever having a driver's side spare. SMB

Got any pictures of left side fender mounts? I don't think dual fender mounts were an option on commercial vehicles.

• 3 years later...