Sandy Storm Damage

jeff_a

I'm concerned about all the people who are having to endure the storm damage, of course, and people are more important than cars. However, I read about 3 museums that had a grand opening in September and worry about their situation. The New Jersey Museum of Boating, The Boat Museum, and The Vintage Automobile Museum of New Jersey are in Point Pleasant, NJ. The Weather Channel had a clip of Al Roker reporting from the beach there the night before the storm hit, and it didn't look very good. I hope the collections survived somehow.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

That Vintage Museum has been trying to organize for years,I didn't know they finally got off the ground and I'm certainly sorry to hear they might have been affected. By now I'm sure everybody has seen the ongoing devastation in Seaside Heights. I personally got off easy,two leaks in my roof,a car parts-covering tarp torn to shreds and the lights flickered a few times. A tree fell over across the street taking out a dormer. The worst damage was up north and on the coast.There's a reported death toll of 50 at last count.

It did not affect us much here. Never even lost power. South, and South West, of here was really hit hard. Heard from friends on Long Island. They said there were trees down everywhere and the lights were still out at their home in the West Hampton area. A neighbor said that NY City and vicinity looks like a war zone. It will be still be sometime before power and transportation sevices are restored. No generators available anywhere. Many places do not have gas to fuel them for many who have them. In my oppinion these little gas generators are about worthless in an emergency of this scale because of lack of available fuel. Better to have a diesel unit if you heat your home with oil as the fuel in the oil tank can be used. Or a propane unit with a large enough bottle that will carry it for a week or ten days at least. I can power my entire home on 7/8ths of a gallon of diesel per hour spinning a 35,000 watt PTO driven generator with my 50 horse power diesel tractor. The engine runs at an easy 1,425 RPM. More watts than I actually need, but with that said, I am not running on the edge of burning something out for lack of power either. Another friend said that Westchester County and vicinity had a lot of trees down and power outages. He has a business in Bedford NY, but lives not far from me, and said that it looked like a war zone around that area also. Dandy Dave! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

The relief agency I worked for in New Orleans originally* (UMCOR) for Katrina victims already has informed us that major reconstruction & relief work for this area will begin ramping up about 6 months from now, and take years similar to Katrina. I'll probably be there somewhere (most likely Staten Island) at least a few times rehabbing & rebuilding homes for people who (for whatever reason) cannot hire contractors. The infrastructure work (roads, utilities, drainage, etc.) has to be done first.

If you ever get a chance to go to an afflicted area and help people like this, definitely take advantage of the opportunity. It's more rewarding than you can possibly imagine.

(* When UMCOR shut down their New Orleans operations after 5 years my group switched to working with the St. Bernard Project, which still has many years of work ahead of it.)

Here in Harding County, near Morristown, NJ, there are hundreds of trees down across wires and roads. I'm sending this from the public library in the next town over, where power was restored yesterday (Monday). It seems unlikely my area will have power before two weeks from now - they still haven't removed trees where there are downed wires and cables under them. Gas stations with gas are rare, and they're rationing odd-even.

My little private community got in a gasoline generator to run the pump that sends water from our artesian well to our water tanks, whence it flows by gravity to the 95 houses in the area. It works, but schlepping in gasoline is becoming a problem. We have cell phones but no electricity, cable or computer. After the second week-long outage last year, I had a whole-house, automatic, natural-gas-fired generator installed, so I personally have heat, hot water and electricity. No leaks or car damage. We've invited some less-fortunate neighbors to come in for hot showers and laundry until Pyongyang Power and Light gets around to us.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Don't be too concerned about Fisker. They have been the beneficiary of millions of Federal start up dollars and no doubt will be made whole by the taxpayers to produce very high end electric toys - I mean "green vehicles that will benefit the masses..." ;)

On the future-antique car front, the Port of Newark got hit and Fisker lost 300 of their $100.000 Karmas. A number of other new cars were damaged, also.

Phil

I just looked at Ebay Motors-Other Makes, and you won't believe the coincidence. I've never seen one for sale there before and fifteen Fiskers are for sale now.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)