Model T lamp, NOS (?)

Dan Marx

This lamp appears to be NOS or a repop. It is marked in script "Ford-0" Brown. I assume Brown was the mfg. This is a right side lamp. The color is 90%+. Any suggestions to year of application and could this possibly be NOS, looking for all opinions.

Thanks

Dan

post-31473-143139237532_thumb.jpg

post-31473-143139237536_thumb.jpg

post-31473-143139237539_thumb.jpg

Typically, the Ford style lamps with the side mounting bolts were after market production used either for replacement lamps for Ford cars or for universal usage on any car of the period. This does not appear to be OEM.

Frank

It is a genuine Model T tail lamp. It is the later style that carried forward following the brass era. This style of lamp was introduced in 1915 and had brass trim. By 1916/17 it was all black. The early style had a large red lens for the stop light and a small clear lens illuminating the license plate. In 1923 the lamps changed, with the large lens being clear and the small lens becoming red. Yours them would be pre 1923. It isn't uncommon at all to find these in never-used condition. Even after electric lights became common, people either opted for the more reliable oil tail lamp, or acquired one to carry as a spare. They were available at Ford parts counters long after the Model T ceased production. I'm not aware of any repros being made that carry the Ford script. Some of the hot-rod catalogs list a chrome or brass plated replica, but your is a genuine Model T part. Most all of them mounted by a stud on the side or rear of the lamp, depending on which way the large lens needed to face.

Terry

Looks like I am going to stir this up a bit! On Ford tail lamps ( and this is a genuine original Model T tail lamp) the mounting stud points toward the front of the car. Lens toward the rear would be red and the one on the side would be clear to illuminate the license plate. This example appears to have had the lenses switched from one of the other style tail lamps. The other style has the larger lens to the rear and smaller one on the license.

Layden, You got me thinking... I have had Model T's for 35 years and have never seen one like this... Did some research and discovered the tail light above was used on cars shipped without starters and generators from 1923 on. The large lens was clear and faced the license plate with the smaller red lens facing the rear of the car. They had the small mounting bolt to allow it to be mounted where the electric tail lamp mounted on cars with starters. Live and learn...

Frank

OK, again this thinkin' thing. The clear lens is small and red lens is large. So this is correct for only a few cars? Are there many Model T's , post '23, that have no starter or generator? Just thinking of the market for the lamp and a reasonable price.

Dan, been around and collecting Model T stuff for over 30 years. First lamp like this I ever saw. Also, MOST T guys want electric start on black Model T's, so you light would not be used by them. I'd say your light has a low demand. The average kerosene lamp for a standard ford runs around $60. With little demand, maybe $40. Just my 2 cents.

Frank