Spare tire for a 55 T-Bird

Guest 55ENJOYTHERIDE

Guest 55ENJOYTHERIDE

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Recently I buy a nice 55 Thunderbird. The car has no spare tire and since there is not much room in the trunk, I search for a modern small spare tire with a scissor jack and wrench. Is there any existing spare wheel/tire build for a recent car that would fit the rear axle drums of the T-Bird? (5 holes, 4.5 in. bolt circle, backspacing, etc..) Thank you!

Guest 55ENJOYTHERIDE

Thank you Lew, I'll buy one in a junkyard next spring. The car is currently stored in an large warehouse for the winter period.

• 6 months later...
Guest 55ENJOYTHERIDE

I found a spare tire from a Mercury grand marquis and a scissor jack that comes from a 2005 Nissan Altima. Works fine! Also I installed a mechanical brake light switch from CASCO. The original hydraulic brake light switch did not work.

The car is ready for the summer rides!!

• 1 month later...
Guest skygazer

I just got a 98 Lincoln town car 16x4 1/2 compact spare & tire for $50 off eBay. The wheel is an aluminum casting, so the wheel and tire weigh half as much as stock. The spare tire is about 1 1/2 inches smaller in diameter than stock, but it fits fine and the car doesn't seem too lopsided with it on. Nothing scrapes. I feel confident that this is a safe replacement for a full size spare, and it takes up considerably less room in the trunk. The only thing smaller would be a '80's vintage folding spare, and I just don't trust them.