1952 Continental Z120 4 cylinder OHV.

Guest PackardV8

Guest PackardV8

The Z120 (gasoline) was used in many Ferguson tractors late 40's thru mid 1950's. Apparently the blocks have a reputaion for cracking at the lower web between the cylinders as well cracking at the top of the block between cylinders.

Any of u Continentaal engine experts know of any such reputation of cracking????

Note the Z120 is a wet sleeve cylinder engine so cracking at the top is not a major issue. It is the cracking at the bottom web between the cylinders that allow coolant to enter into the crankcase.

Any enlightenment on this problem is appreciated. -PV8

If nothing helpful turns up here you'll want to ask this question on the old tractor/old engine forums for experienced answers...

ytmag is a farm-ag site with good traffic and a Ford-Ferguson forum...several others exist; Google Ford Ferguson tractor forums and a number of forums will come up, all free to post on. There may well be a Ferguson site.

smokstak (no typo) is an old engine site with very good traffic; they have both an old tractor forum AND a Lugs and Cleats forum if you're on steel.

Don't recall if the Z120 and 129 were exclusive to Ferguson, but seems I've seen that noted somewhere; did you know there's a ZD129 and ZD129F diesel that hardly anyone's seen??

Guest PackardV8

Thanks for the tip on YTmag and smokstak. I'm already participating in YTmag and took a look at Smokstak. Apparently about 2 years ago someone repaired their engine with a "pinch" bolt thru the the block.

Yes, apparently there were Diesel versions, But i've never seen one and really never heard of anyone that has had one.

The Z120 in my 1951 TO-20 ferguson has been a great engine for over 18 years now. The Z120 in my recently acquired TE-20 appears to have been recently overhauled. But the block is cracked.

• 5 weeks later...

GRUNDERS FARM EQ IN TORRINGTON CT 860 4899001 CAN REPAIR THE Z120 OR Z129 . WE INSTALL 3 BOLT BETWEEN THE SLEEVES . THE BOLTS THREAD IN TO THE PUSH ROD SIDE AND HAVE A O RING TO SEAL BOLT HEAD. HAVE DONE MANY, ALSO OTHER WET SLEEVE MOTORS THANKS STUTZL6