1929 Chrysler transmission oil

Narve N

Anyone having a viewpoint towards what oil to put into the trans of my 1929 Series 65? There is something about certain bearing materials being vulnerable to EP (estreme pressure 80-90 weight, the hypiod smelly one) transmission oils, but I believe that would be for slightly older cars. I have already put EP into the rear axle, but am slightly in doubt about the trans. An alternative would be 50-grade engine oil, whih I believe was specified for the transmission of my 1940 Chrysler. For the 29 the only words in the manual are "use Chrysler transmission oil".

Guest martylum

Narve Nordanger-Long time no talk. Some years ago I bought transmission-rear end oil for late 20s early 30s from a specialty oil company . Their oil engineer advised a 140 weight mineral oil with no EP additives for these cars. I have the remains of a 5 gallon bucket having added this oil to a number of early cars with no problems.

To refresh my thinking I just talked with an oil engineer at Kendall Oil Co. who advised an 85-90 weight no EP additive mineral oil for Summer driving. he advised against modern EP oils for any transmission or rear with bronze or brass parts. Kendall sells an oil called "

all oil gear lubricant" GL-1 in this weight with no EP additives.

Looking through early shop manuals many early 30s manuals not very definitive. A 32 Ford lubrication chart was shown which advised 220 weight in Summer and 110 weight in Winter. Chrysler manuals from this period do not define the weight but advise adding kerosene in the Winter.

My 30 Desoto has 5,000 miles on the odometer with no problems.

600 weight oil seems too heavy for this period but made sense in an earlier period when seal technology was much poorer.

I see no problem with 10-30 W oil in engines which begin with a clean oil pan. If the pan is filled with gunk no oil and no running is the best practice.

Marty Lum

30 Desoto and 33 Chrysler CQ

Marty Lum

Well, I won't say marty is wrond but I've h ad many customers tell me horror stories when they used modern oils. Peter Groop in the Netherlands had me pick up Egge pistons to replace those destroyed by modern oil.

George Michl, the master of early Chryslesr told me many years ago to swich with the 600 and 30 wt. oil. I think ,for my money I'nn stick with what was orrigionally used. I've only had 60 Chryslers from 1924 to 1930 and the ones

that I parted that had heavy oil in them were always in the best condition.

Food for thought. What Which would follow a spinning axel to the wheel end? Thick or thin oil?? I rest my case. It's your car, your money.

pre39chrysler, I am confused. Which oil will follow a spining axle to the wheel end?? Will the lighter oil spin off the axle quicker by centrifugal force and not reach the wheel end? Will the heavy oil work it's way to the wheel end? Thanks, Terry

Having googled on Marty's recommendation I find that transmission oils Gl-1 through 4 indicate low or nil EP/hypoid additives and safe for old cars, whilst the GL-5 is tha nasty one that should only be used for gears so designated and free of any bronze or brass parts inside?