1929 Chrysler 75 Head

Guest deichenb

Guest deichenb

Hello,

I have been using a Chrysler 75 for touring and events over the past year. The car has been wonderful and it has been an adventure to sort her out. My old iron "red head" is failing and continues to develop new cracks. It has been Magnafluxed and repaired several times and new sites of failure keep occurring.

I need to machine a new head. Does anyone have a pattern or any experience producing a head for a Chrysler 75 (or 72 or 77)? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,

David

deichenb@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

A company in TX does advertise their recasting services in WPC News, I believe I have tried to get in touch with them to get to know whether they have any patterns for 1929s as the references do not mention these cars specifically, and gave up when I did not get an initial reply. Others mention that this company might be challenging to trade with and should best be avoided?

Modern technology should anyhow be able to reproduce whatever you need to have copied these days with 3D-scanning, casting and automated milling machines, as withnessed from the CL engine with reproduced block, head and manifold a German manufacturer had made for a Swiss customer some years back - or the 2012 production of Bugatti Royale wheels I did see in the UK. I did actually ask the Brits (New Pro Foundries) about reproduction heads like e.g. a 1929 Chrysler Red Head and they said the tooling cost would bring the price of the first one into 5-digits $, however substantially less for the next few.

post-59101-143139235184_thumb.jpg

post-59101-143139235165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)

• 6 months later...
Guest deichenb

I ended up creating a pattern from my old, cracked head and fabricating a new head in aluminum alloy for my Chrysler 75. It's on the car and I'm starting in the Mille Miglia tomorrow with it. My mechanic and I have put over 500km on the car and it's running wonderfully. I own the pattern and the resin casting for the head, and I am considering producing and selling heads if there is demand. The casting preserves the factory "Red Head" markings and has slight modifications in the combustion chambers for increased strength where the original iron head cracked. My new piece bolts on, and I have created a custom copper gasket to mate the head and he block. Please reply or message me if you are interested in one.

Forms Chrysler,

David

Guest deichenb

Back in October I was trying to find a source for a new head for my 1929 Chrysler 75. I had no luck, and I ended up creating a pattern from my old, cracked head and fabricating a new head in aluminum alloy for my Chrysler 75. It's on the car and I'm starting in the Mille Miglia tomorrow with it. My mechanic and I have put over 500km on the car and it's running wonderfully. I own the pattern and the resin casting for the head, and I am considering producing and selling heads if there is demand. The casting preserves the factory "Red Head" markings and has slight modifications in the combustion chambers for increased strength where the original iron head cracked. My new piece bolts on, and I have created a custom copper gasket to mate the head and he block. Please reply or message me if you are interested in one.

Forms Chrysler,

David

Guest deichenb

Here it is today, mid-day. We arrived in Rome in 18th place with the car running great. post-72004-143141905947_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the good luck!

Guest deichenb

We completed the MM with no issues - the car was a champion. A beautiful finish, and the new head and copper gasket were flawless. What a great tour car!post-72004-143141909222_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest racingsnake

How exciting to run in the Mille Miglia, what a prestigious event. Anymore photos please, I'd love to see some more of your car?

I would like to register my interest in one of your Red-heads, but will it fit my 1926 G70? I struggle to find spares and parts over the pond here in UK!

I very much fly the USA flag over here, just stole a pre-war class record from a Bugatti T35 at a hill climb, and I'm taking my car to Le Mans 24-hours this year, a 70 was the first USA car to ever race there in 1925 so I'm excited to be taking the car there for 90th anniversary of Le Mans next month.

Capture_zpsebcefc22.jpg

Guest deichenb

What a great photo! Congrats on running your car so competitively - and on wooden wheels! I ran at the Le Mans Classic in 2012 on my artillery wheels, but I changed them to period wires for safety on the rutted rally roads.

I don't think the heads between the 70, 72, 75, and 77 are interchangeable. I think there were subtle differences in each with slight increases in displacement. I am hoping to do a run of 5 Red Heads, but I have not seen clear demand at that level yet.

Here are some photos from the MM as well as last year's LMC. Thank you again for the congratulations.

post-72004-143141924819_thumb.jpg

How exciting to run in the Mille Miglia, what a prestigious event. Anymore photos please, I'd love to see some more of your car?

I would like to register my interest in one of your Red-heads, but will it fit my 1926 G70? I struggle to find spares and parts over the pond here in UK!

I very much fly the USA flag over here, just stole a pre-war class record from a Bugatti T35 at a hill climb, and I'm taking my car to Le Mans 24-hours this year, a 70 was the first USA car to ever race there in 1925 so I'm excited to be taking the car there for 90th anniversary of Le Mans next month.

post-72004-143141924804_thumb.jpg

post-72004-143141924811_thumb.jpg

post-72004-143141924816_thumb.jpg

Didn't recognize the car from your previous pictures- here is my take of it. Hey, we even spoke during the 2012 LeMC!

post-59101-14314192559_thumb.jpg

You should tell us more about that three-carb set-up by the way, I understand the HotRod fraternity has mixed experiences with Winfields and you had some issues too? I have a restored size B updraft Winfield to put on my Series 65 Chrysler if it makes any sense.

Guest deichenb

Yes! - there she is at the LeMC! I do remember speaking with 2 or 3 enthusiasts about their Chryslers, and I am thankful you remember me and my car. Great paddock picture.

I was running a Zenith universal replacement carb at the LeMC. The Ball & Ball updraft that came with the car is made of pot metal and had numerous irreparable cracks in it. The Zenith was small (I do not recall the size) and inefficient for the car. A friend of mine in the US sold me the Winfields, which were on an old custom manifold in another Chrysler block:

-YlvpBNAF8sy1d2OkaFfo7k4MG0VNCME_hEeuUc8HO8?size=1024x768

That block must have been for a 72 or 77, since I had to have my mechanic create a new custom manifold for the carbs, as well as restore them to their current condition. I do not recall what size Winnies they are right now, and the car is still in IT. Currently, the middle carb is turned off, since the car was running the same with two or three carbs on and just burning more gas with all 3 open.