Attendence

Joe Block

It seem to me theswap meet and the auto show was down on attendance considerably compared to last year. As I was still able to take photos of the vehicle after judging, and usually that something I can't do.

I don't know about that 42....... the flea market maybe, but I had a time waiting to get meet field pictures during the day, from 8:30 till about 11:00am. I waited one time till I just gave up.

By the way I am not knocking it, just explaining my experience. Some AACA members only see their friends once a year in Hershey so I can understand them waiting to reminisce a while. Gee, aren't we doing the same thing on the forums today? :)

I had lots of fun at the 3 Membership Booths that I worked at. The language barriers between nationalities got me in trouble, my barriers, not theirs. ;)

I messed up one membership renewal sheet, when Fran Vicini had to correct me. The British lady I was waiting on wanted to know, "How long have you been on this job???" :confused:

"15 minutes!", I explained!

She said something like, "It shows!" :eek::o

I appreciate all of my friends that looked me up. Yes, I have a few friends! :cool:

Till next year!

Wayne

ATTENDANCE WAS NOT DOWN...IT WAS UP!!! Not a guess, but based upon parking recepits which is the only guage we really have. The fact is that more cars were parked this year than last year by a nice margin. AACA's sales were up almost 15% and may go higher after we finish the accounting. In my not so humble opinion it was a great week for the hobby!:)

Subjectively, I thought the flea market--and especially the Saturday car show--were crowded. I am not surprised at Steve's numbers.

I would also estimate that the HPOF judges had their hands full--that class seemed bigger than ever--and now with all the new wrinkles added ("Original" classification, etc.), all I can say is wow!

I should also add that the team who evaluated our HPOF Pinto were super-courteous--a real credit to them, given what they had to deal with.

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Subjectively, I thought the flea market--and especially the Saturday car show--were crowded. I am not surprised at Steve's numbers.

I would also estimate that the HPOF judges had their hands full--that class seemed bigger than ever--and now with all the new wrinkles added ("Original" classification, etc.), all I can say is wow!

I should also add that the team who evaluated our HPOF Pinto were super-courteous--a real credit to them, given what they had to deal with.

This is the first time I have had a car registered for the Hershey Meet. I have to agree with stock_steve, the judges that evaluated my car in the HPOF class were very courteous and respectful of the car., and following the inspection, each of the team members expressed thanks for bringing out the car.

As for attendance I have to say I saw nothing but throngs of people in front of me when the National anthem was being played. I have no idea how many were behind me. All those hundreds, perhaps thousands of people in front of me and each and every one was quiet and paying respect to the flag as the anthem was being played. There were a few behind me still talking when it started but the place quickly quieted down to complete silence. It was a very touching sight.

Hershey is deceptive in that it's a huge area and "swallows" a lot of people, but everywhere I went it seemed like a good crowd....with the exception of Saturday on the flea market fields, which I walked through and most vendors were gone....tons of people at the show though...

And the weather was great.....good job AACA, yet again.....

I guess, I getting more accustom to crowd after spending most of last year in Asia. I too had a great week, from Tuesday through Saturday afternoon, and then the Hudson meet with my friend on Sunday and a local gun expo in Carlisle too.

I have a spot in the Red field, this year crowds were down. The problem is that the show is so big now, that a lot of people can not do the whole show. A lot of people look in the program and then go to the vender selling what they want. Also the most crowded spots are the ones near food and where they come in from the parking lot. My sales were down by about 35%. But did sell more jackets, because of the cold weather. Friday that wind chilled a lot of people. That why the AACA sold out all of their sweatshirts.

Two of the venders I know told me that next year they are going to put out a few items on the table and then, walk the show. I will not, I will be back, selling my car parts, having people beat me up to cut the price on a part by $5 - $10.

The fun of Hershey!