running board wood & to off frame or not to off-frame & free 1925 wheels in TN

Guest rhead

I just removed running boards, and am not sure of the type wood used....suggestions on what woudl work best? Car is a '24. I am guessing Restroration Supply is the best place to purchase alum. edging. and rubber (or should I be going battleship linoleum - dunno as boards were missing covering).

Also, the body is in great shape, and I am tempted to leave it on for the restoration....but the splash aprons need some pathing and repairs - must the body be removed to remove the aprons? If so...is this an easy or mammoth task? Some advice appreciated....

The understide of the car will need a good cleaning and painting....however I kinda think chassis can be done w. body on, a brush for frame and rest removed, cleaned, restored, painted... POR-15 & Rustoleum.... (driver quality, not shooting for Pebble Beach here...). Again, advice welcome.

Oh, the car is a 24-48.

The rear fenders are off - and are perfect and rust free - soda blasting and repaint only. The hood will need some minor dents repaired...louvers perfect....front fenders off next.....they need some minor work on one.....

I am looking for a front bumper (w. brackets).

I just bought 4 x 1925 Buick wheels w. tires off ebay, but really only want two rims - anybody want the rest - all you need to do is send me the rims from TN, and the rest is yours for free.... msg me.

I think, and others can verify, but it is frame, aprons and then body, but I am not 100% sure. But, also, as long as all the fenders are off, it is probably best to remove the body itself, but then there is all the other stuff like linkages and wiring if you are not doing a off-frame restoration.

John

Guest Phil Cordery

The way I tackled this was to raise the body approx 4" up with timber, gave me enough room to work on the chassis & body , apart from removing the obvious body bolts , I had 8, toe boards & small plate around the bottom of steering column, then steering column bracket to Dashboard. make a note of any extra small spacer timbers between body & chassis, I had problems getting door apertures correct & had to reset all the spacer timbers to suit, The valances once unbolted from the front & rear guards simply pull out sideways post-80927-143139214322_thumb.jpg

rhead:

Glad to see your on your way with the 25-48. I was planning on bidding on the same rims for my 25-25, and all the rest but was distracted and forgot to get my bids in. My take on the rims is that they are 21" since the tires shown are 5.00 5.25X21 and for standard series 1926 thru 1928. Rims for our cars should be 22". But mine were changed to 21"years ago. So I could use these. Not quite shure what your master series takes.

I would like to have the rest that you don't need. I wanted them for the rim bolts and brake drums. When I made inquireries the poster refered me to the owner. The owner said that he had gotten it from Alabama. The previous owner had partialy restored the frame and dissasembled the rest then died of a heart attack. He bought all the rest to HOT ROD the roadster. I guess he didn't care to get the other accessories missing from the car and engine. He asked me if I could find him a windshield frame. I also asked if I could make offers on the items that didn't get a bid. No word yet. From the pictures he looks to be more skilled at using a cutting torch than a wrench!

Larry

• Like 1

rhead:

If you want to see what the 1925 model 24 roadster looked like before it was cut up. Go to Google and search 1925 Buick images. It shows as light green body parts assembled to approxamate positions. Other pictures shown. Was for sale as a RAT ROD around $1,800 at the time. I checked the buick specs. And for your car it looks like you should have 23" rims. You did not respond to my PM so I guess the rest of the wheels are gone.

Larry

I used real dry pine boards for my running boards. I bought mat material from Bob's for both my 26 sedan and 27 Woodie. It is very poor quality, I had to junk half of it. I would like to find some good material myself for the 27 Woodie.

rhead:

If you want to see what the 1925 model 24 roadster looked like before it was cut up. Go to Google and search 1925 Buick images. It shows as light green body parts assembled to approxamate positions. Other pictures shown. Was for sale as a RAT ROD around $1,800 at the time. I checked the buick specs. And for your car it looks like you should have 23" rims. You did not respond to my PM so I guess the rest of the wheels are gone.

Larry

Just to update on the wheels, rims and tires. The seller said that since no one contacted him or sent a payment he took all the parts to scrap. I was late in getting in my bids and saw that the items were sold. When I called about possibly buying the rest of the wheels he said he took all to scrap friday morning. Got $158 for all. Including axles, rebuilt engine with transmission. Even asked to call the scrap yard but he said they "chunk it all up as you bring it in".

I thought this forum was a place where we could help each other!

Larry

Thought I had replied - guess I clicked when I should have clacked...I passed on the wheels

rhead:

Larry