303 or 324 swap into a 48 98. anyone done it?

1948 98 sedanette. straight 8 is gutless, so i have a 1954 324 i'm rebuilding to install. being that the 1949 was basically the same, other than the V8, it should fit, other than maybe the mounts need to be modified. the hydramatic on the straight 8 probably won't work on the 54 engine and i do have the 54 hydro, so any suggestions are appreciated. john walker 2067896800 seattle

Edited by john walker (see edit history)

Guest rsd9699

There is a tech booklet that was issued with the introduction of the 49 Olds that out limes the major changes to 48 frame and 49 frame. It may help you. Also the parts book may be of help in the long run. Cheaper to put in a different ring gear to acheive some getty up and go. Also look for after market carbs to make it go faster.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey John it's Doug from Long Island NY. I purchased the 1948 Olds 98 that I told you about last year. Oddly enough I would like to do the same engine swap as you. I have a 1949 303 with a cool tri power set-up. Please let me know how the swap goes, I think it will be straightforward. Good Luck! 631 988-1139

There is a tech booklet that was issued with the introduction of the 49 Olds that out limes the major changes to 48 frame and 49 frame. It may help you. Also the parts book may be of help in the long run. Cheaper to put in a different ring gear to acheive some getty up and go. Also look for after market carbs to make it go faster.

Just how low of a ring and pinion would you want to go for performance? Stock Olds third members are the same from 1939-1952. In automatic's the ratio is 3.64 which is plenty low with Hydramatic's 3.82 1st gear!! At WOT that gear is over at 15mph maximum. If you used the stick shift third member at 4.30, first gear would be over at 8mph.

I would find someone who would like a 48 98 and buy a 49 or later. 1948 Olds 98's are hard enough to come by stock, why bucher one up?

• 3 weeks later...

I think it should almost bolt in except for the front mount,you might need the 54 rear mount crossmember but it should be a easy swap. Years ago I had a wrecked 53 Olds and a 47 Pontiac and the frames looked identical and was seriously thinking about putting the 303 and hydro in the Pontiac until I traded the motor for motorcycle.