wiper motor info for 65 Cutlass

Guest 65ctlss

Guest 65ctlss

Hi all -

Having some trouble here. Assembly manual for the 65 Cutlass convertible shows the "box'style" wiper motor on every page until you reach the wiring diagram. Then the picture of the wiper motor shows a round housing.

The switch and motor that are supposed to be on this car are for off-slow-high speed wipers.

I have tried to order after-market motors -- at this point 5 different ones from both 64 - 65 model years -- and none of them fit. I have the option of trying to send the motor that was on the car to be rebuilt -- but thought I would check here to see if anyone has had this issue before, and if there are any words of wisdom to share.

Any info appreciated,

65ctlass

If your car has two-speed wipers it should have the round motor. The rectangular motor is the one-speed wiper. Either can have washers.

When you say "doesn't fit" do you mean won't bolt up to the firewall or the crank arm is in the wrong spot to connect to the wiper transmission?

The parts book I have shows that 1965 and 1966 Cutlass interchange. There are different numbers for other applications. I would say the other 65-66 GM A-body cars would use the same motor as F85/ Cutlass.

• 3 months later...
Guest 65ctlss

Hi rocketraider -- thanks for your last response.

Getting to know more than I wanted about wiper motors for my 65 Cutlass.

I do have the round motor -- with washer motor attached. Just had it rebuilt -- everything working now EXCEPT an intermittent problem with parking the wipers. You can turn the wipers on and off several times --no problem....and then the next time, they won't park -- they just keep on running.

Wiring harness (new) has been checked and double-checked. We have two different 2-speed switches -- and the wipers do this with either one -- so we don't think it is the switch.

My auto electric guy says an "about to go bad" park relay in the motor can cause this -- the guy that rebuilt the motor says it worked fine when he bench-tested it-- so he did not replace it. He doesn't have one in his shop.

So -- if all of the above is accurate -- do you know if the park relay is interchangeable among the different types of wiper motors (box-type single speed, box-type 2-speed, etc)? If I cannot find one -- I might need to cannibalize one from another motor....and there seem to be a lot of box motors out there. The round 2-speed motor we cannot find anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Joe<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I'm having no luck finding this relay in the Oldsmobile chassis parts books, and I expect it's going to be in a Delco Appliance parts book- which I don't have.

Hard to believe most 65-66 Olds A-body cars had single-speed wipers as they were a cut above the Chevelle/Tempest. Maybe folks have scarfed up all the spare round ones, IDK.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 65ctlss

Thanks! The process gets even more mysterious. :)

Found a short in the park relay -- so worked on correcting that. The motor works fine on the bench -- parks every time. It works when it is wired onto the car -- every time. You connect it to the wiper transmission -- it works initially.....and then stops parking. You turn off the switch and the wipers just keep on running.

We have tried 2 different switches -- both behave the same way. Has anyone heard of a known problem with the 2-speed wiper switch? Is it possible that both switches have the same problem?

I am relatively new at this -- I guess one of the first things you learn when starting a resto-mod project is patience.