GEORGE HERMAN RUTH AND THE OVERHYPED/PRICED LINCOLN

Mssr. Bwatoe

The story go's that The Babe had a 40 Continental, but really the story was probably

babe had a Continental, and that morphed into a 40 . ..maybe even given to him by the Fords..(sorry the Fords are Detroit fans folks..FOMOCO even sponsered the first

Tigers world series broadcast 1n 1934..I doubt Henry and Edsel were real big Yankee fans...but thats another story (GO TIGERS).

Dingman auction just pumped 200 grand out for a car that has no documentation to indicate any star ownership...delivered to Long Beach etc..but the story seems to have stuck...why??

I suppose this is how the rumor started...kinda fun stuff..Our culture seems to really value celebrity...I think my car was owned by Honus Wagner...Hmmmm and he may have left a couple t-206's in the glove box..

Guest Jim Zephyr

A postwar Lincoln makes more sense.

1940 Lincoln-Zephyr Continental H100711 just auctioned in August by Gooding for $200k, that's a cut from the $407k that it went for at the Dingman Sale in 2006. Must be a pretty nice restoration, but it's not very likely connected with Babe Ruth as there is zero documentation to support it other than the story that some writer made up about some dash plaque. The car was delivered new to Long Beach not Edgewater NJ as one would expect of a car going to New York...if it were true there would exist some kind of publicity, but there is none.

• 10 months later...
Guest Jim Zephyr

Outstanding photo! Clearly the postwar Connie story is verified, solid information. The 40 Cabriolet story is nothing

more than someone's fantasy - Dave Cole just mentioned in the latest TWOTZ that the 40 ownership is not confirmed. I cast my lot with Dave as he is very knowledgeable about this stuff. It would be cool I must admit, but we have no evidence other than someone who put a dash plaque on the car and made up some story to go along with it....