Fluid Drive seal and bearing/bushing advice needed

Guest roadmaster56

Guest roadmaster56

I'm replacing the clutch and various elements of the Fluid Drive unit in my 1948 Chrysler New Yorker 8 cylinder and I need some advice.

History and questions:

The carbon seal and the copper bellows (40-51 "1st style") are leaking and need to be replaced. The carbon is pitted and the bellows has a pinhole leak in it.

I have been able to locate, but have not yet purchased, the "1st style" which I have heard is inferior to the "2nd style" (51 - ?).

Will the "2nd style" fit my "1st style" Fluid Drive unit.

Is the upgrade to the '2nd style" is worth the effort so far as reliability is concerned? I probably put about 2000 miles per year if even that.

I was told that if I use the "2nd style" seal, I would have to get the large retaining coller nut, which on the "1st style", is soldered/glued to the accordian bellows assembly....is this correct? If so, does anyone have a source for BOTH the later carbon seal, sleeve AND the large retaning nut?

Does anyone have a photo of the "2nd style" seal complete?

Finally, how do I remove the front most bushing/bearing (the smaller one that supports the fluid coupling)? The chrysler manual shows an extraction tool, but I don't have one, and all other attempts have failed to remove it.

Thanks

David in Santa Cruz

• 4 weeks later...

David,

I tried to repair my fluid drive years ago. I found the correct seals but never got the fluid drive totally apart. I fell one step short.

The only place that I found that could repair it (about 10 years ago) was Northwest Transmission Parts. They also had the seals in stock but they also allowed me to send mine in.

I had to ship my fluid drive to them and they shipped it back a couple of weeks later. It has worked great since.

I don't have their info in front of me so I searched on the web. I believe this is them.

Northwest Transmission Parts.

13500 US Route 62

Winchester, Ohio 45697

Information Line: 937-442-2811

Fax Line: 937-442-6555.

Good luck.

Ron

www.northwesttransmissionparts.com<!-- google_ad_section_end -->