Gold Painted Roof,Code 50 Bamboo cream body,Two tone sandlewood interior.Go Stock or Change?

Guest Stage3

Okay Gentleman,

1970 Numbers matching GS-455 (October 1969 build date)

Not going to start on it for awhile but I am researching parts availability and everything keeps coming around to going back original or "just doing what I want". I am very "bad" about wanting to go back all stock but have others whispering in my ears "Make a GSX" "Put buckets and a console in it" etc etc.

Argument for making a GSX is "If done correctly it will be worth more" .Even though I have an original (still has QQ Saturn Yellow paint on it after I started sanding through primer!) 1970 Spoiler,have hood tach,have one year only GSX steering wheel,original GSX dash plaque (guy found in his underwear drawer after selling his passed Dad's X) etc etc. Also have a brand new in the box black deluxe 1970 GS/GSX interior.

Anyhow have allot of the needed parts but being a October 69 car it is pretty unique in it's own right.Has the pointed "Tit gauges", I am told this sandle base interior is very handsome new, and the color combo of painted dark gold "hat" on Bamboo while not a "sell me red" or other spiffy color that will turn a bunch of heads, down deep I think it could be pretty unique as so many have been changed.

Money is virtually non existent right now so the "in stock" black interior would be a huge shot in the arm towards getting the car cosmetically sound but the car is also a "base interior" with straight bench seat and interior kit is for bucket seats so there I go again.Seat tracks,console,bucket seat cores (probably have all of this but seat tracks).

To do a GSX "right" ALL the original interior goes,the pointed gauges go as no GSX had these due to build date,have to grind down posts for the optional upper reveal molding (stainless trim the rides top of outside door and under 1/4 window) them grind down posts for painted roof trim,mount sport mirrors,cut hole in original hood for tach (car already has the "24 hour clock" as in a GSX but being late 1969 the numbers are longer on all gauges.......sigh).

Anyone who has read all this see the road blocks I keep running into?

I can take time to sort this out (why I am asking for wisdom now instead of later) but I do have to make one decision immediately in regards to the missing steering column and of course that is a potential conflict and I don't have money to just throw around. Since the car was parked since 1992 and the column is gone I imagine it was probably a tilt column (had the optional rear window defroster which was also removed but has been relocated). If I replace it with another column shift tilt wheel that kills the GSX conversion.

I will quit typing now.Sometimes I wish I was more of a person that could "JUST DO IT" and never have regrets but I do know it will never be a GSX although some say a GS is just a GSX "without the clown package"(ha ha always remembered that one) but although mechanically equipped the same in most regards it will never feel right.

Well, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Car has some options (a/c,rear def.,tilt,clock,455,optional trim etc) and just hate to be the one to change a unique combination and do everything I can to hide it's original sleeper personality. I DO like a sleeper;)post-66358-143139185409_thumb.jpg

post-66358-14313918538_thumb.jpg

post-66358-143139185395_thumb.jpg

post-66358-143139185398_thumb.jpg

post-66358-143139185404_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
Guest Stage3

Well, I am down to my last 2 months before I do something on the GS or let her go.

My last shot at finishing the bills and giving the GS a shot at life will require the selling of the car most dear to our family and that the children grew up in and we had more memorizes in than most anything we did over the years.

That would be our ultra rare equipped 1960 Electra 225 convertible we called "Josephine" after my friend Joe who helped me be able to get it (had to give a car this pretty a girls name though ha ha).

Anyhow only $1500 apart from a deal on the Electra so she might be leaving us for good soon.

As bad as that would be, I could get some surgery I have needed for a long time that might extend my life and at the same time allow me to get back behind the wheel of a big block monster torque GS like my first car at 15 years old.

If this deal goes down I have decided to do the GS back bone stock cosmetically. There are many many flashy, GS's and GSX's and clones out there but while there are some stock grandmaw looking ones still out there I am sure the percentage of ones like this wrecked and junked or heavily modified from stock have whittled the numbers down significantly.

I have always loved a sleeper car , and a base interior sandlewood with straight bench seat,auto on the column,in bambo and gold on 14' wheels with white walls is going to be about as sleepy looking as a GS gets. I collected for 25 years the stuff to do a 70 GSX but I guess that will have to wait .

Anyhow just an update for anyone who cares : )

Guest Stage3

post-66358-143142115389_thumb.jpgHi Adam!

Yep, you are completely correct Sir. Was one of the few cars I prayed about and after never having seen one in person (only saw in my Buick encyclopedia) and was in my driveway less than 24 hours later (the 60 Electra 225 convert) was a total God send in my opinion but so would being around longer for our family so I guess it can bless us twice.

Good to hear from you and I hope you have been doing well ole Buick brother :cool:post-66358-143142115383_thumb.jpg

post-66358-143142115368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stage3 (see edit history)