30 Chrysler Gas Tank Color

I know the gas tank was coated, outside, with what appears to be zinc or early galvanizing, but what paint would match the color of the original hue.

In other words.... What paint and what color did you use when you restored your 30 Chrysler gas tank.

I'm just trying to be correct with the restoration / color, and now is the time to ask such questions.

Thanks in advance.

Bill H

Guest martylum

Hi Bill-I have a Chrysler assembly line photo from 1930 showing the gas tank installed in the chassis and it seems to be painted black.

Marty Lum

Guest stephen48

Hi Bill. The gas tank in my un-restored 29 / 30 De Soto K coupe has got original black paint on it. The Chrysler Cj has a lot in common with the De Soto so I think your gas tank be the same. Black is the only colour I have seen on Chrysler product gas tanks of that era .Black enamel should work fine.

Why is it that I don't see even one speck of black paint on the gas tank, anywhere.??

As far as I know the gas tank has never been dipped or boiled for cleaning.

And yes... The CK Desoto is almost the same car.

I'll get pictures of the tank when I get the pictures of the rubber spring bumpers for another thread in the "General" section.

Thanks for the replies.

Bill H