looking for 1933 dodge DP6 rumbleseat coupe wood spoke wheel hubcaps,& spoke restore tips

thehandleman

does anyone know if anybody is making those style hubcaps or where I can get a real good dent free originals.I beleive they are Aluminium,very soft. also anybody have a procedure on restoring the wood spokes mine are bleached white but are in good shape,just need a little guidance on process ie., sand paper then what grits clean? coat or treat polyurethane? then paint the little Ivory lines enamel paint???

anyhelp appreciated

RB

I am currently restoring my 32 wood wheels. They had about 5 layers of paint on them. I used wood safe paint stripper and then a multi tool to sand. I then used duct tape to tape off the wood and sand blasted the metal- without the tires. I then used a little ospho for any hidden rust that might have been left. I have done two and have three to go.

can you add a photo of how the two turned out,also so you never removed the wood spokes? because on my 6.00x16 they are mini wood spokes and jou just remove three screws holding center metal housing then you can pul out all wood spokes,but I wanted to know if they have to go back in the original location.Thanks for the Info.

no I won't be going ( Work ) I do have some 33 handles that are on it now and also just purchased crank hole cover reproduction off ebay, but it's for a 33 Dodge has the "6" on it and doesn't fit my 34 Dodge, are you looking for 1 ? I need to check which ones I need, think it's both front doors ( have a four door )

save me a few if you have them,,not to interested in the shape they are in (dull ,scratches ) at this point just want the correct one's on the car, also still looking for rear vent frame, just the ones that hold the glass Have the body frames, thanks....

can you add a photo of how the two turned out,also so you never removed the wood spokes? because on my 6.00x16 they are mini wood spokes and jou just remove three screws holding center metal housing then you can pul out all wood spokes,but I wanted to know if they have to go back in the original location.Thanks for the Info.

Yes you have to number the spokes and put them back in the same order, we just talked about this recently, look under he screen name B Zetnick I think, Bob has some nice instructions and many of us had things to add

your business coupe are correct the ones keiser has did fit one dodge but not yours,chrysler used his style too.Thanks for the further folowup on the wheels, 32bizcoupe r u going to hershey if so I can try and find the one 32 dodge outside that you need.

RB

That's exactly why I said, "I think...."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DodgeKCL

Hold on a minute. If those wooden wheels are what I think they are,you cannot remove the spokes!! Those wheels were made by Motor Wheel in Detroit on contract to Chrylser and were used as an optional wheel on all CPDD vehicles including Dodge trucks for about 3 years,'32,'33 and '34 and then discontinued.

They appear to be the ones I have and you cannot 'service' them. The spokes are a few mm. longer than the distance between the center metal hub and the felloe. The spokes were laid out around the felloe(rim) and then the hub was placed in the center. But the hub did not fit because of the distance being too long. The assembly was then placed in a jig under a "90 ton" press which them pushed the metal hub into the spokes and locked the assembly together forever. If you can get your spokes out by hand then the wheel is passed it's 'best buy' date and you can't use it. Your spokes have dry rotted and the wheel is now dangerous to use. As you can see by my description these are not wood QDRs ( quick demountable rims) that preceded these. QDRs can be disassembled and repaired even to having new spokes installed. These later Motor Wheels cannot. At least I have never found anybody who has found a method of restoring them. There are no screws,bolts,glue or any kind of fastener in these wheels .They are held together by tension on the spokes caused by the spokes being slightly too long and the spring steel of the rim pushing back against them. These Motor Wheels can be installed on any CPDD vehicle up to but not icluding the present FWD era. Also Ford. The bolt pattern is the same. They use longer bolts than wires and the bolts are available from N. C. Industries in Sayre Penn. They were made in 16" and 17" but ther 16" is the most common. The 17" was used on the Dodge 'Commercial Cars' from '33 to '35. They most likely were the fastest wooden wheels ever made for production vehicles as Chrysler advertised them as being used on it's cars that could do 70 mph. They would have to have a safety margin of maybe 30 mph which would make them capable of running at 100 mph. You can see these are not your usual wooden wheels!

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

That handle in your photo is correct for a 32 DL6 sedan (and I believe coupe, too). The DK8 used different handles...like John Keiser shows.

My photo shows the correct handle for a DL6 passenger side door (with key), and an aftermarket replacement handle that often shows up on eBay.

post-61720-143139201038_thumb.jpg

Hello, DodgeKCL, Well they look easy enough to remove take the three screws out remove center hub press out using a back plate and as soon as one wood spoke comes out the others will follow,mine on my DP6 rumble coupe are 16.00 x 6 and I have a two extra rims besides the 4 and spare, so I will expierment this winter if they collapse or dont come apart I guess I will use 32buzcoupes Ideas and leave them on and sand them like he said but would be nice if I could get them out and restore the wood correctly.later

Guest DodgeKCL

I've had these Motor Wheels for over 25 years. I've been in conversation with other owners and they all agree that if you can get the spokes out the wheel had had it. I've seen the hub and the spokes apart from dry rot. The hub has a large 'groove' in it that the spokes 'snap' into when they are first assembled. This locks the wheel together forever. As I said I have never seen a DIY jig or device to respoke these things. The pressure required to reseat the spokes would be beyond home shops. I would ask anybody with these to not pull out the hub or any spokes until the matter is solved.

( I looked up the Motor Wheels in a parts book and they were made in 16",17",18" and 20". But I've only found them today in 16" and 17". The 16" lower a car quite a bit and tend to get it away from the 'high' boxy look of the early 30s. I have personally found them on Pontiac,Auburn,Buick with the same style hubcaps. They were also offered in chrome plated steel spokes. I have never seen those on a Dodge or Plymouth but they were sold as options in these same years. The Plymouth abd Dodge hubcaps were made in chrome plated steel and aluminum. I'm not sure but the aluminum MAY have been aftermarket. )

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

I've had these Motor Wheels for over 25 years. I've been in conversation with other owners and they all agree that if you can get the spokes out the wheel had had it. I've seen the hub and the spokes apart from dry rot. The hub has a large 'groove' in it that the spokes 'snap' into when they are first assembled. This locks the wheel together forever. As I said I have never seen a DIY jig or device to respoke these things. The pressure required to reseat the spokes would be beyond home shops. I would ask anybody with these to not pull out the hub or any spokes until the matter is solved.

( I looked up the Motor Wheels in a parts book and they were made in 16",17",18" and 20". But I've only found them today in 16" and 17". The 16" lower a car quite a bit and tend to get it away from the 'high' boxy look of the early 30s. I have personally found them on Pontiac,Auburn,Buick with the same style hubcaps. They were also offered in chrome plated steel spokes. I have never seen those on a Dodge or Plymouth but they were sold as options in these same years. The Plymouth abd Dodge hubcaps were made in chrome plated steel and aluminum. I'm not sure but the aluminum MAY have been aftermarket. )

Im gonna find you that picture of that jig, it in a catalog from the 20s. Im not sayin these particular wheels can be done, I have no reason to doubt what you say, I have zero experience with these particular wheels.

Im just gonna throw it out there when I find it which will be in the next couple of weeks as I am going thru catalogs and filing usefull info in a different pile

• 1 month later...
Guest 33DBcpe

I just signed up to be able to post on this site. A friend and I just purchased a field fresh '33 DP 6 wire wheel coupe that has been sitting outside for many decades and hasn't run for 3 decades. We are going to revive it and drive it in "field finish" or "pasture patina". It is very complete and in surprisingly good condidion. Anyhow, the point of posting here is that the car came with 8 extra wooden wheels and hub caps. All the caps are used, but a couple of the wheels appear they might be NOS with some age. We would sell them if we could figure out what they are worth. I have two '29 Buicks that have all the wooden wheels I care to deal with. I live in Golden, Colorado. Would post a picture of the car if I knew how.

...Would post a picture of the car if I knew how.
Some shots of the wheels would be cool too!

1)- Take some digital photos with your camera set at the 3MP to 5MP resolution range.

2)- Transfer them to your computer where you can remember where they are. (The "My Pictures" folder is usual).

3)- Set up a "Reply to Thread" or a "Post New Thread". Type in your comment. Then, at the end, type a couple "Enter" keystrokes to get the cursor at the bottom of the post.

4)- Click on the "Insert Image" icon post-67404-143139277246_thumb.jpg shown at the top of the box where you are constructing the reply or new thread.

5)- Click on the "From Computer" tab at the top of this box and go find, in the "My Pictures" folder, the particular shots you want to post. Select them all and click on "Upload Files".

6)- The photos will upload to the spot where you left the cursor and you will see the photos there.

7)- "Post" the reply or new thread to the Forum. That's it! Easy as pie!

Guest 33DBcpe

Thanks for the directions! If this works, there will be a picture of "as found" car, and wood wheels that came with it. John

Rats! It doesn't want to "upload files". Will try again later.

Thanks for the directions! If this works, there will be a picture of "as found" car, and wood wheels that came with it. John

Rats! It doesn't want to "upload files". Will try again later.

Limiting your photo pixel sizes to 2000 pixels or less in BOTH directions should help them load.