Here are the rules about handicapped carts & what is NOT permitted to be used.

Shop Rat

This is straight from the brochure.

"Handicapped Information

Convenience vehicles, battery operated for physically

impaired, contact:

Scooter Bug - (781) 933-3120.

Recognized handicapped personal mobility carts can be

certied at the maintenance building near the employee

entrance o Hershey Park Drive.

No motorbikes, scooters, mini-bikes, Segways,motorcycles,

2 or 3-wheel bicycles, or private motorized

carts (including golf carts) will be allowed to operate on the

meet grounds for the safety of our visitors and members."

Susan, the third rule paragraph should be not to allow cans to be dragging on the blacktop shouting get out of my way!-Bob

I personally don't have a problem with the cans, metal washers, etc. being tied on as a warning that a very quiet scooter, golf carts, wagon (like the one I have a metal washer on) is close by. I would rather hear the rattle than get run over because I didn't know they were driving through. No one should go though with the attitude of "Get out of my way".

There are additional items that they announce are not allowed like roller blades, skateboards, razor scooters.....

The sad fact is that many of today's adults and kids think that someone has to TELL them to not do things that people with some common sense know not to do. They know without being told that a child free wheeling on a razor scooter is a hazard to those that can't move quickly out of their way. People that know that bringing an aggressive dog to a place with so many people is a bad idea and yet I have witnessed people bring dogs that are aggressive toward other dogs and try to control them. Vendors bring dogs with them many times because they travel from show to show and I don't have a problem with that. I have not had problems with any dog that a vendor had there. It is the ones brought in by shoppers that seem to be the problem. Until a month ago I had a Dalmatian. She was a very good dog. But I never took her to stuff like that. I left her at a good kennel. It is a car show and automotive flea market, not a dog show.

It's a MONEY maker, so look for more and more of them EVERYWHERE.

We were at a large show recently, NO DOGS ALLOWED said signs, everywhere, we saw dogs, all day long, NO ONE ENFORCED THE RULE.

There will always be folks that will beat the system, they are called JERKS.

If the rules don't fit their likes, they will find a way around it. I ask in a kind way, DID YOU SEE THE SIGNS, NO DOGS? The three I asked said, "OH, I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN. Sure!

Dale in Indy

It's a MONEY maker, so look for more and more of them EVERYWHERE.

We were at a large show recently, NO DOGS ALLOWED said signs, everywhere, we saw dogs, all day long, NO ONE ENFORCED THE RULE.

There will always be folks that will beat the system, they are called JERKS.

If the rules don't fit their likes, they will find a way around it. I ask in a kind way, DID YOU SEE THE SIGNS, NO DOGS? The three I asked said, "OH, I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN. Sure!

Dale in Indy

There is a kennel at the old stadium where people can leave their dogs with supervison, shade and water. Dogs don't need to be out on hot asphalt. Service/assistance animals are a different matter but they are usually marked as such and well trained to be in crowded places. And by law a true service dog is allowed anywhere their human goes.

And you are correct, those that wish to break the rules will find a way.

There are additional items that they announce are not allowed like roller blades, skateboards, razor scooters.....

The sad fact is that many of today's adults and kids think that someone has to TELL them to not do things that people with some common sense know not to do. They know without being told that a child free wheeling on a razor scooter is a hazard to those that can't move quickly out of their way. People that know that bringing an aggressive dog to a place with so many people is a bad idea and yet I have witnessed people bring dogs that are aggressive toward other dogs and try to control them. Vendors bring dogs with them many times because they travel from show to show and I don't have a problem with that. I have not had problems with any dog that a vendor had there. It is the ones brought in by shoppers that seem to be the problem. Until a month ago I had a Dalmatian. She was a very good dog. But I never took her to stuff like that. I left her at a good kennel. It is a car show and automotive flea market, not a dog show.

Susan,

What do other venues you know of have in place to control roughly 200-K in attendance over 4 days concerning carts/scooters/dogs, etc? Based upon the respondents this is a major issue and possibly it would help in the future.

Peter,

Hershey is by far the largest event we attend. The Charlotte Auto Fair would be the second largest that we go to. We don't see the level of problems there that we see every year at Hershey. One major difference is that there are only two ways into the actual track area, through the tunnel and in the back gate where there are multiple volunteers monitoring what is going on as folks enter and leave. So there is better control of what goes into the track area itself as far as things that are not allowed in to the area being kept out.

Bristol Motor Speedway has approx. 160,000 fans at each race. One of the things that they do is have volunteer groups come in to help fans have a wonderful experience there. They serve as ushers to get folks where they need to be, they help enforce the safety rules and laws of the state regarding things like not smoking in the stands. There are two volunteers stationed at every set of steps and there are steps about every 15-20 feet all around the track. They walk along the walkways under the tiers of stands to keep an eye out for things that need reported or taken care of if they can do it themselves. They have a way to communicate with the police, EMTS and fire crews in the venue area. We all know that the Hershey Region is spread very thin during the Hershey Fall Meet. They might want to look into getting additonal volunteers through other groups to help out.

I am a member of the Fan Advisory Board at Bristol Motor Speedway starting in March 2012 and continuing through at least the March races in 2013. The board is the first of it's kind to be formed to look not only at what is going right, but more importantly what is not going as well as it could. Or what could be done to serve the fans in new and better ways to make it the venue of choice. We talk to the fans and get their perspective and have monthly conference calls to discuss what needs to be changed. Year after year if anyone looks back the the post-Hershey threads, the same things are being complained about. Maybe they need a similar board to address the issues that keep coming up and not going well. Just a thought.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Guest billybird
Because i was there last year and there were many people using carts that i'm sure had no infirmities. There were far too many carts and a large percentage going to fast. I miss the mud...

You cannot tell who does or does not have an infirmity simply by looking at them. I, myself have a severely damaged heart. I have no other problems whatsoever. I am one of those who can see a part, jump off my scooter, and run to the part seemingly in perfect condition. Continuous walking though; I simply cannot do it because of weak cardiac output. I don't believe you meant this as a slam to the handicapped. I'm just saying you can't tell by looking. Believe me, I would love to go back to the days of walking endlessly without need of this scooter.

Me too billy. With 2 artificial knees, no kneecaps and spinal arthritis I wouldn't be able to attend nor judge if I didn't ride yet I can walk short distances and don't look like I have a handicap. I would hate to be confined to our spaces after 45 years in the flea market. I used to walk it all but those days are now long gone. I worry more that people will continue to come and could care less how they get around. I never drive fast and never expect anyone to get out of my way. I guess accidents do happen now and then but I've personally never witnessed one. Last year on the team I judged on there were 5 artificial knees.

That is one of the first things I ask of the members of a team that I will be Team Captain for, "Is there anyone on this team that has a condition that would keep them from performing certain duties that go with judging? Such as not being able to get back up after kneeling, can't bend over to look into an engine or the interior, etc."

I then set the team up based on what people can do as well as what they can't. I don't base the first pass on how many credits anyone has. :)

Guest ChaplainLar

So, are you saying , that no one will enforce these rules?

I would REALLY like to bring my bicycle, I'm old, my knees

are still real but not working so well at distance walking.

Almost did last year, but read the fine print.

No bicycles. So I didn't.

I dodged quite a few bikes as I grumbled to myself

that I should have brought mine.

Have Security stop ALL bicycles & put Padlock on them.

Rather have a few hundred unhappy that they broke the rules,

than a few thousand unhappy that rules weren't enforced.

Just saying.......

It is unfortunate that unless someone is on hand to "enforce" the rules, there are people who won't follow them. And when you are doing things with an all volunteer organization, who wants to spend their volunteer time just being confrontational. So those that choose to ignore the rules, do what they want and those that follow the rules suffer.

Susan, I still question as to whether Charlotte is smaller than Hershey any more (I got chastized before for questioning the size comparison but that's my story and I'm sticking to it), but I agree totally that there are not the same problems. I honestly think it has a lot to do with the more rural nature of the average attendee and at the risk of offending people, the more genteel nature of the Southern people. It also seems that people at Charlotte are not in a constant hurry like many of the Hershey people are.

Without writing what would amount to be War and Peace I will just say a few things. Yes, there are people who do confront people who break the rules. No, they can't catch everyone. Yes, many people (including me sometimes) drive our carts too fast. I will try to do better but when you are scurrying from one emergency to another it does happen. I hate the can idea but some people do it not to get people to move but to try and avoid an accident. They do happen. With a 1,000 volunteers a lot of carts are needed just to get people to their assignments, etc. No Bikes...period. The issues of bikes and other two wheelers in a crowd the size of Hershey is significant. As one who has to work with our insurance carriers I can tell you that loss control is a giant issue for us. There is a lot of discussion that goes on each year at numerous meetings on how to improve the experience...the problem is you cannot make everyone happy. We all have differrent needs. There is a safety meeting each morning before any of you have your first cup of coffe to review issues each day of the meet. These are things that members and guests are not aware of...all I can say if anyone has something you need to say to the region then write them. If you find someone blatanly thumbing their nose at the rules then report them to the region tent.

I'm thankful several of you have said that you cannot always tell what someone's handicap is by looking at them..it is true and many of us are blessed not have to deal with what they live with. I know I am letting a friend use my cart for a time this year as he is going through chemo therapy. Since he always wears a hat I am sure not too many people will realize he has any problems. He does and walking the length of the show is going to be impossible for him.

Would it be possible to get a cart for my 86 year old grandpa? He is not handicapped and does not have a handicap tag for his vehicle. He has walked the meet for the last 50 plus years, however he is no longer able to fully enjoy the meet by foot.

Are carts limited to those recognized as being handicapped or is there a understanding after a certain age.

Thanks!!

Guest billybird

If I understand the law correctly, your grandpa would have no problem with a 3 OR 4 wheel handicap mobility device that fits the criteria. If you go to the Charlotte Auto Fair website they give examples of what is acceptable and what is not. I realize Hershey is a different region, but Federal law is the same everywhere. As I understand the law, a person must without question be allowed to enter any establishnent or event with a mobility device that meets the criteria. Usually "the criteria" means a device designed for one person and electric. Certainly your Grandpa at age 86 deserves to ride hanicapped or not but no one is going to know whether he is or not because those at the entrances are not allowed to ask. That is a violation of federal law and they can get in big trouble for that. Someone straighten me out if I'm wrong.

If I understand the law correctly, your grandpa would have no problem with a 3 OR 4 wheel handicap mobility device that fits the criteria. If you go to the Charlotte Auto Fair website they give examples of what is acceptable and what is not. I realize Hershey is a different region, but Federal law is the same everywhere. As I understand the law, a person must without question be allowed to enter any establishnent or event with a mobility device that meets the criteria. Usually "the criteria" means a device designed for one person and electric. Certainly your Grandpa at age 86 deserves to ride hanicapped or not but no one is going to know whether he is or not because those at the entrances are not allowed to ask. That is a violation of federal law and they can get in big trouble for that. Someone straighten me out if I'm wrong.

According the the rules at the top where I started this thread, people that want to take carts, golf carts, personal transportation carts have to check them in to get one of the permit tags to display on the cart, etc.

" Recognized handicapped personal mobility carts can be

certied at the maintenance building near the employee

entrance o Hershey Park Drive."

According to the rules that I posted at the top all personal transportation carts/golf carts are to be certified and given one of the tags to show that they are.

" Recognized handicapped personal mobility carts can be

certified at the maintenance building near the employee

entrance of Hershey Park Drive."

Something I have wondered about for years is if the ones that are the worse abusers of the rules actually are members of the AACA. My hope is that those that are members have respect for their fellow members and follow the rules. And that the abusers are not members and that is why they have so little regard for other people's safety and wellbeing. And that is what we are talking about, being as safe as possible while attending such a large function with so many people from so many places.

Would it be possible to get a cart for my 86 year old grandpa? He is not handicapped and does not have a handicap tag for his vehicle. He has walked the meet for the last 50 plus years, however he is no longer able to fully enjoy the meet by foot.

Are carts limited to those recognized as being handicapped or is there a understanding after a certain age.

Thanks!!

The answer of course is yes, your grandfather could use a personal mobility device but I believe Scooterbug is sold out for this year. You can, however, bring your own.

Guest billybird

ahuss15: I rented a scooter last week for the Charlotte Auto Fair. I have one, but mine is very small with small tires that do not handle gravel very well. I rented a larger version at a local drug store @ 35.00 per day. Not too bad considering the speedway was getting around 50.00 per day. I had no problems in gravel with the larger version.

ahuss15: I rented a scooter last week for the Charlotte Auto Fair. I have one, but mine is very small with small tires that do not handle gravel very well. I rented a larger version at a local drug store @ 35.00 per day. Not too bad considering the speedway was getting around 50.00 per day. I had no problems in gravel with the larger version.

Yes, and for anyone that has not been to Charlotte, but thinking of going, it is not smooth and fairly flat like Hershey is now. It is a mix of gravel, pavement, and some of it is slightly hilly in the infield area where the flea market spaces are so any cart has to be able powerful enough to handle that and stable enough not to turn over. Bill and I witnessed a man fall out of his powered wheelchair last year when it hit a piece of loose asphalt and the wheelchair tipped over. Out in the parking areas where there are also vendors can be gravel and mud if it rains.

I'll keep it VERY short. The ADA act is clear.....

Under Title III, no individual may be discriminated against on the basis of disability with regards to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation. "Public accommodations" include most places of lodging (such as inns and hotels), recreation, transportation, education, and dining, along with stores, care providers, and places of public displays, among other things.

Under Title III of the ADA, all "new construction" (construction, modification or alterations) after the effective date of the ADA (approximately July 1992) must be fully compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG)[1] found in the Code of Federal Regulations at 28 C.F.R., Part 36, Appendix "A".

If you need to use any type of device to be mobile, it is allowed, by federal law. Just be sure to bring a medicial car or letter stating the fact. PLEASE drive slow on the fields........Ed

Yes, and for anyone that has not been to Charlotte, but thinking of going, it is not smooth and fairly flat like Hershey is now. It is a mix of gravel, pavement, and some of it is slightly hilly in the infield area where the flea market spaces are so any cart has to be able powerful enough to handle that and stable enough not to turn over. Bill and I witnessed a man fall out of his powered wheelchair last year when it hit a piece of loose asphalt and the wheelchair tipped over. Out in the parking areas where there are also vendors can be gravel and mud if it rains.

Susan,

Good points. Could you provide how other large venues handle the terrain and crowd control for such large venues?

Bristol Motor Speedway has added quite a few trams to move fans to all points around the track. And the Fan Advisory Board was told that the owner, Bruton Smith, wants more trams to move more fans. They have MANY volunteers that help and support the paid staff at the track. Members of the F.A.B. are expected to volunteer as part of our service to the fans.

The terrain at the racetrack is everything from very hilly to flat. One of the race series sponsors, Nationwide, provides golf carts for those that have handicapped tags/plates to get them from the handicapped parking area up as close as they can to where their seats are. There are special areas for those that are confined to wheelchairs. Raceway Ministries also has a few golf carts and they will transport fans when there is a need to do so. Fans that need a space in the handicapped area must submit a form and copies of their handicapped information provided to the fan in the state where they live to be given a spot. This has to be done in advance if at all possible. Exceptions can be made to the pre-registration on a case by case basis.

The members of the F.A.B. are the eyes and ears of the staff because we are out in the stands, in the area and back at home where the fans are. We take what we see and are told back to the board meetings and conference calls to let the BMS staff know what needs to be attended to.