PLEASE decode my 1957 Dodge VIN number

Guest John1918

Guest John1918

I am looking at a 1957 Dodge Lancer VIN 37318732. Without much chrome I am unable to tell exactly what it is, Coronet, Royal or Custom Royal. Can anyone help please?

Guest John1918

Can you tell what it is with no side chrome and painted in undercoat? I hoped it would be possible to decode the VIN. I will try and get a photo up tomorrow. John

I am looking at a 1957 Dodge Lancer VIN 37318732. Without much chrome I am unable to tell exactly what it is, Coronet, Royal or Custom Royal. Can anyone help please?

I have a serial number lookup and VIN decode tool at Plymouth First Decade: Where is the VIN? If my lookup tool data base has the data entered correctly, then here is what that serial number implies:

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=align: right]Serial Number[/TD]

[TD]37318732[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Found in range[/TD]

[TD]37240001 to ?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Serial[/TD]

[TD]78732 of ?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Year[/TD]

[TD]1957[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Make[/TD]

[TD]Dodge[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Model Name[/TD]

[TD]Royal or Royal Custom[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Model Code[/TD]

[TD]D67

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Engine[/TD]

[TD]325 cu.in. OHV V8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Wheelbase[/TD]

[TD]122 inches[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

1957 is near the end of the era for serial numbers with '59 being the first year that something like a modern VIN was used across the board by Chrysler. Serial number ranges were assigned to each assembly plant and sequentially applied to the cars of a given engineering code at that plant. So you can deduce some things like the wheel base, engine, etc. However you can't tell anything about trim levels, options, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John1918

Thankyou "My Toys". It doesn't have the model number on the data plate, just the Paint, trim, body and VIN. However, I think it is a D67-1 Royal because there are only three holes for the 'Royal' badge to fit into on the side and 'Custom Royal' would need six I think. Also there are no front bumper teeth as used on the Custom Royal. I have already picked up from eBay over half the missing pieces but I am still looking for a pair of lancer emblems for the fins.