'40 Continental Brake Pedal & Master Cylinder

Ron K.

Is the brake peddle supposed to have a return spring to hold it in the full up position? I noticed that the clutch as a major, industrial strength spring assembly to keep it in the full up position. There is a spring hanging from the floor sheet metal but it may be for something else as I cannot find where it would attach to the brake peddle arm. I installed a new master cylinder and now have a leak between the brass fitting/block (to which the rigid line attaches to the system and the light switch is fastened). I am thinking of putting another copper washer in as a spacer so that it is tight but still at the correct angle for the rigid line to be threaded. Are there other solutions of which I have not considered?

Ron

Yes, the brake pedal is supposed to have a return spring. The extra heavy spring on the clutch is not only for return but it is so attached that it actually gives a little "assist" when depressing the pedal. The spring hanging loose is probably for the gas pedal. you will see a couple of holes in the gas pedal arm that extends down from the floor board. You may be able to retighten the fitting to eliminate the leak/seepage on the Master cylinder?

Exalted peecher, the accelerator has its spring attached. After studying my photo, which is attached, perhaps I have the pin that attaches the brake pedal arm to the master cylinder in backwards and that spring goes over the end of the pin (it looks like it might have a slot for it). If so it will take quite a bit of force to attach it. Am I on the right track?post-80968-143139173135_thumb.jpg The master cylinder seep is due to that brass block not being snug against the master cylinder, that is why I though maybe another copper washer would make it tight and put it in the correct alignment to mate up with the rigid brake line that goes to the "T" on the frame. Ron

Ron, there is an "extention" that connects the spring to the pedal. It's about the same length as the pedal return spring (hanging down). You may have to fab yourself one out of some welding rod. Not sure about that pin but if that's original (?) it would appear that the pin is in backwards. If you put the pin in the other way the groove would be in line to attach the extention and the spring. I suppose the extention hooked into the groove with pressure from the spring will keep the pin in place but I think there should be a cotter pin hole in that pin?.

I see what you mean about the brass fitting. The lines are so ridgid and short in that area. I don't see why you couldn't put a spacer between the fitting and Master Cylinder to get to mate up squarely.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

Thanks again peecher, it had not dawned on me that there could have been an extension and that makes a lot of sense if the spring is correct. If somebody out there has a picture or dimensions of this missing piece of history, I sure would appreciate seeing it. Also, does anybody know if this is indeed the correct pin (master cylinder rod to brake pedal arm)?