nice 68 Olds Delmont 88 FS $2000

61-63

Guest ks gto (Cap)

Hello forum members...just joined and want to thank 61-63 for originally posting this Delmont 88 in my behalf. I have the history, paper work and the ProtectoPlate for the car. It is not mine, but I offered a very special eldrly couple to help them sell it. They inherited it from the 1st owner in approx '04...it wasn't running, but does now.

Cap

Guest ks gto (Cap)

A bit more of the story... When the original owner of the car got to the point he could no longer drive, this elderly couple would take him for rides in the country once a week or so. He always insisted that they use his car. When he got to the point he could no longer remain at home he titled the car over to the couple. About that time they couldn't get it started and couldn't afford to have a mechanic fix it. It sat in storage in a neighboring garage until the place sold. Having to move it, they asked me where it could be stored and I volunteered to keep it for them awhile.

That was about 5 years ago or so. They also asked me to try to sell it for them. I thought it would be best to try to get it running before selling it. Finally, it has got to the point, it was kinda getting in my way so I got motivated to try to get it running. A friend and I put a new battery in it, messed with the timing and got it started. I've got the old gas out of it and it runs pretty decent.

It has a 455 engine, AC (blows, but no cold-freon?), PS, PB, AM radio (doesn't work). Paint is oxidized and thin, a few very, very minor body dings, no rust except begining evidence in a few spots at the base of the rear window. Car was dealer undercoated when new, floor pans super solid, no trunk rust-floor also solid, chrome and trim are not rusty. The driver window has a note taped "do not roll down" all other windows and glass are good, guages work, upholstery is still very good. Just a good old solid car. I have driven it for about 10 miles and it runs out nice. PB works good w/ good tread on tires.

The current owners have had a tough life, but are very giving of their time in the community and are very active in their church. They have lost 3 children way before their time. 2 sons passed from a crippling disease by their mid 20's and they lost a daughter who was pre-teen--I haven't ever had the courage to ask what from. They cared for these kids at home until they needed more complex care. Dad was a truck driver--Mom stayed home and cared for the kids as long as they could stay at home. Fantastic people and deserved better than that misfortune. That's why I want to help. I want nothing out of this other than to use my connection to the car world to help them. I'm not a dealer or flipper, just a car guy.

The car is priced at $2000. They have the title. The car is located in Central Kansas.

I will post pictures shortly....when I figure out how.

Cap Proffitt--kowz@hbcomm.net---email

620-564-2639

1964 Gulfstream Aqua Pontiac GTO

1965 Starlight Black Pontiac GTO--Concours Gold

Edited by ks gto (Cap) (see edit history)

Guest ks gto (Cap)

Thanks Mike...I really appreciate help spreading the word. Chuck and Marilyn are wondereful people.

I have several more pictures if anyone has interest. More interior, underside, trunk and more "around the car" shots

Cap

Guest ks gto (Cap)

Glenn...I feel the same way. I just hope the person with the right intentions steps up. It is a special car in a way, because of the history and circumstances that go with it.

Cap

GTOAA PR and Member Relations Team

1964 Pontiac GTO

1965 Pontiac GTO--Concours Gold-Modified

That's what I get into- it's too far away and while wedging another one into the garage wouldn't be difficult, it would end up being another car that just sits and goes downhill due to lack of time to fool with them. I used to say when I'd get a rare week of vacation that getting one of the cars back running would happen, but anymore there's always so damn much else that has to be done that I don't even say that anymore.

I've always thought the 66-68 88s were some of the handsomest cars Olds ever built. We had a neighbor lady who had an Ocean Turquoise 68 Delmont sedan with parchment interior, and my mama always said it was one of the prettiest cars she'd ever seen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...