1956 new yorker wagon

Guest rluke

Hi. I am looking at a 56 new yorker wagon that I am considering as a project. It needs a few things but looks solid. I dont know much about these so I was wondering if anyone had an opinion or information on these cars. Are parts easy to get and are they worth spending money on? Thanks for any info.

The New Yorker was one of the best built cars of its day. Also one of the best performing road cars. The station wagon body makes it even rarer and more desirable (to some people).

Parts are available but not as much as for more common cars like Chev and Ford. It would be an expensive car to restore. But not especially valuable if you go to sell it. Just not popular with the car buying public.

However if you can find a good one that needs minimal work you can have a lot of nice drives in a unique car. I would buy one if I had the chance. It would need to be in decent shape (no major projects) with no or few parts missing. And not too many miles.

• 1 month later...
Hi. I am looking at a 56 new yorker wagon that I am considering as a project. It needs a few things but looks solid. I dont know much about these so I was wondering if anyone had an opinion or information on these cars. Are parts easy to get and are they worth spending money on? Thanks for any info.

rluke - did you move on the New Yorker wagon?

I have one (NFS, so don't even think about it ;-).

Happy to share firsthand info & knowledge!

PM if interested.

PS I'm buying a dry Cali car spare......for some parts

Well James. It is about an hour south of the WA/OR I-5 interstate bridge in Newberg.

I bought this at a neighbors estate auction a few weeks ago as I had always admired it. When the neighbor died I saved it from the scrappers. Although I had to pay for it.

My buddy that died would not sell anything and I bugged him about this car in his barn for at least thirty years. He told me that he drove it in there.

I do not regret buying it however I am sitting on several projects and reality has set in so decided that I will offer it up for sale.

I spent some time messing around with it when I first got it and found that with a battery most of the lights work. I got spark to it and with a squirt of gas down its throat it fired off. I fired it three times. The first time was a good surprise, so on the second try I saw that it indeed had oil pressure, on the third shot I saw that the amp gauge showed a charge. I didnt want to pull what ever is in the tank up should the fuel pump work so I quit there.

The brake pedal is stuck solid at the top. Park brake worked well enough to tow it the half mile or so home. It rolls easily.

The original 15 inch wheels are split rims with the big bolt pattern and the tires are rotted off. I had a set of regular rims with the right bolt pattern (Imperial) and some good 15 inch take offs, so when I put it in the warehouse it would be sitting on air at least. I noticed that once I parked it in the warehouse the radiator, or hose or some other escape route for collant opened up and let some antifreeze out. Its in the front so probably an old rotten hose. (didnt really look, just noticed the puddle)

. I had to jump thru a couple of hoops to get the title, however it is now in my name with a perminent Oregon registration.

Its an old Grey Line Limo. Some rust, but complete less two original hub caps. and maybe some small items but certianly restorable. Or since it should run and drive with the barke job and some fuel tank cleaning one could enjoy it as a survivor.

I want $4000 for it.

I am always into trades if you have something that lights my fire.

For those that might be interested in owning this I can send a bunch of photos, email me at capyjack@comcast.net

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

This car should have a 331 CI poly head engine. The engine number is located on the top surface of the block near the from edge of the lifter valley cover just behind the water pump housing. The number should have a prefix of WE56 to indicate a 56 Windsor. Poly head engines have rocker arm covers that are scalloped along the bottom edge. The difference in the hemi and poly engine is the pistons and head assemblies. All other parts are the same.

Jack, could you or would you post some photos of your long Chrysler, I would enjoy seeing some. I don't have any purchase plans as I have enough projects and would have to be completely insane, I have trailered old cars home from Phoenix and Minnesota and drove one from Boise but that was then. If then was now I might be coming after that monster.

Happy Thanksgiving,

jay

Thanks for the photos Jack. That is one heck of a roof rack. Our teenage year old daughter was embarrassed when she had to ride to school in a 66 Newport wagon in around 1995 she would have really been thrilled if I had found an eight door wagon back then. Good luck selling it it has possibilities.

Thanks,

Jay

My daughter had the same attitude about being seen in some of my old tanks.

Until she got her license. Then it was OK to drive around in.

I told her that everbodys first car should weigh over 3000 pounds. So all four daughters first cars were tanks.

Crap, none of them got the bug and they drive Hondas and Nissans, I guess I dont know them anymore.