CLARIFICATION ON PA YOM PLATES

Steve Moskowitz

"As far as Mr. L's question, we do not differentiate the configurations between a 1905, a 1955 or a 2011. As long as the configuration is in use, we will not allow that configuration to be issued again. Please make sure your hobbyists are aware of this because I know some of them are going to spend a good amount of money on a vintage plate – only to find out that the configuration is already in use and cannot be issued to them. That is why we added the VINTAGE heading on the vanity tag look up page on the internet."

Answer to a question posed to Penndot

Penndot will only allow a given license plate configuration to be issued once (even if the plate is not currently on a registered vehicle). As long as a plate configuration is not officially relinquished back to Penndot they will not allow it to be used. Penndot used to require vehicle owners to buy new plates each year (alternating between dark blue and gold but with the same number). Since vehicle owners would receive a new plate each year with the exact same number there are many plates out there with the same number so if two or more individuals try to register the same number for their antique vehicle only the first one to file the paperwork with Penndot will get it. I had three plates restored and ready to go for my 1929 Packard just waiting for the YOM law to be passed and take effect. I drove to the Penndot office in Harrisburg on the first Saturday after the new law took effect and only one of my three plates was available. I was able to register the plate and it was a long wait for the YOM law to finally be passed in PA but the plate looks great on the car (like it had always been there).

Hopefully this will be helpful to those who have not registered a YOM plate for their antique yet, Penndot has an option on their website that tells you if a vanity plate is available, the woman at Penndot told me this lookup really can be used to check if any plate is in use or if it is available. I checked and it does work. The link is as follows:

https://www.dot3.state.pa.us/vehicle_services/vrvanity.jsp#top?20120913210857386=20120913210857386

Hope this helps!

John

Penndot will only allow a given license plate configuration to be issued once (even if the plate is not currently on a registered vehicle). As long as a plate configuration is not officially relinquished back to Penndot they will not allow it to be used. Penndot used to require vehicle owners to buy new plates each year (alternating between dark blue and gold but with the same number). Since vehicle owners would receive a new plate each year with the exact same number there are many plates out there with the same number so if two or more individuals try to register the same number for their antique vehicle only the first one to file the paperwork with Penndot will get it.

It's exactly the same in Ohio. When I registered my Buick with YOM plates they were checked against the current list to make sure no one had the same number. If it's like OH, the YOM plates will be refused even if the same number plate is a current one.

You really wouldn't want it otherwise. If so every time the other guy with your number ran a red light enforced by video camera, you'd be getting the ticket.

Never arrgued the point, we were simply clarifying the policy and stating that it is a good idea to register your plate sooner rather than later if you have a specific plate you would like to use.

This website License Plates - Authentic Antique and Classic License Plates from Turner Plates includes a section on each states laws for antique car license plates. It is a bit out of date, since it does not have Pennsylvania's new law.

Click on "D.M.V. Information" to the left and pick your state at the bottom of the page. It will take you to the entire list but specifically to the selected state.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi