Was this the start of the 1954 Buick Landau, 1954 Buick Skylark or maybe the 1956 Buick Roadmaster??

Dave Gelinas (XP-300)

This artist rendering is from my collection. (albeit a copy) It's a GM/Buick Studio rendering of a proposed rear end treatment for the 1954 Buick Super. The artist for this rendering was Robert Gale. I have been unable to find any bio on this Buick/GM artist.

Those of us who enjoy the styling of the 1954 Buick Skylark and the 1954 Buick Landau Motorama Show Car will see quickly the similarity to both car's rear ends.

A. The chrome and bumper treatment of the Skylark &

B. The similarity of the chrome strips over the trunk in the artist rendering, to the use of leather straps on the trunk of the 1954 Landau.

In 1956 Buick did use a likeness of the chrome treatment on the Roadmaster.

One can only imagine what could of been, if Buick had placed this idea onto the entire 1954 lineup.

post-58764-143139239541_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Looking at the photos and sketches,I would speculate that the lines along the trunk (chrome. leather, or just formed sheet metal) would be a different width to fit the various nomes, SUPER (5 letters), SPECIAL (6), CENTURY (7) and ROADMASTER (10).

Also I bet the forming of the fender sheet metal work for the tailights in the sketch would have been too expensive to make in production.

Also note the smaller dip in the sweepspear in the last rendering.

John

I would imagine many optional sketches were submitted for each year of production, and chances are great that ideas flowed from year to year, tweaked to accomodate the most current styling trends. But I also think the decision makers did the right thing going with the 54 Buick that was produced. Maybe it's because I am used to seeing the 54's as is, but that tail end treatment is kinda odd in my humble opinion. I prefer the gentle curves as produced.

Looking at the photos and sketches,I would speculate that the lines along the trunk (chrome. leather, or just formed sheet metal) would be a different width to fit the various names, SUPER (5 letters), SPECIAL (6), CENTURY (7) and ROADMASTER (10).

My guess is the letters would have been smaller for each named model, or placed up higher.