Looking for Info, Possible Sale! Cushman Scooter + Engine and (?) Transmission PICS ATTACHED

Guest W9adra3e

Guest W9adra3e

this is my neighbors scooter, he asked me to post it, and get some more info, and said he would be very interested in trading or selling it if at all possible! i dunno, i took the photos, and figured id post em for you guys! My dad used to collect / restore cushman, i just never got the bug i guess! anyway, here ya go! as promised all the photos below: he was very curious about the assembly of the scooter and the mechanics, and the basic history!, if anyone had anything to contribute, id greatly appreciate it!

• hv15tl.jpg

• EW9tml.jpg

• YEUyil.jpg
  • zzUm9l.jpg
  • YHKNUl.jpg
  • TfIGOl.jpg
  • ezRhkl.jpg
  • wBGtQl.jpg
  • 4ujIyl.jpg
  • Mj606l.jpg
  • MsnZfl.jpg
  • 99ZIjl.jpg
  • PPIhal.jpg
  • I8zqXl.jpg
  • 1Ll6Bl.jpg
  • Sxvp4l.jpg
  • siNs9l.jpg
  • Xrr4Tl.jpg
  • Hu6e2l.jpg
  • BNsx8l.jpg

Edited by W9adra3e
misspelled a word! (see edit history)

In 1960, I drove a Cushman Scooter that looked identical to your photos.

The differential is a Crosley and I believe the three speed transmission is also Crosley.

I believe the engine is from an Eagle model.

I drove the Cushman as an Ice Cream vehicle on the streets.

It had an enclosed insulated box about 3 foot high cooled by dry ice.

It weighed about 1,000 pounds but would run close to 40 mph.

Mine had an electric starter but had a kick starter on the side next to the shifter.

I have no idea what it is worth.

Post your city & state, a Cushman collector my live close to you.

Guest W9adra3e
In 1960, I drove a Cushman Scooter that looked identical to your photos.

The differential is a Crosley and I believe the three speed transmission is also Crosley.

I believe the engine is from an Eagle model.

I drove the Cushman as an Ice Cream vehicle on the streets.

It had an enclosed insulated box about 3 foot high cooled by dry ice.

It weighed about 1,000 pounds but would run close to 40 mph.

Mine had an electric starter but had a kick starter on the side next to the shifter.

I have no idea what it is worth.

Post your city & state, a Cushman collector my live close to you.

I live in Cisco, TX.

my father did a little research, and he said this was probably a USPS truckster, dime a dozen i guess.

but if anyone is interested.

reply to this post, or message me directly, and we will see if we can work out a deal!

thanks for your time!

post-41405-143139170958_thumb.pngpost-41405-143139170958_thumb.pngThe on you have is a commercial version sold to many different companies.

It may have been a very early version but the official Post Office version was a fiberglass body with a cab and box integrated into one unit.

The photo is a rough example of the Post Office version. You should contact the Cushman club to establish the value and post it on the Buy/sell forum or on ebay.

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

The Cushman is a Mailster, but not the later, OMC powered one shown in the pix above. The post office order number on the nomenclature plate if the big giveaway. The earlier, Husky powered ones, like yours, had a rear box with an opening cover to protect the contents and a fiberglass cab with fabric "doors". It should have a semi automatic clutch that allows it to idle in gear. All the postman had to do was pull up to each delivery, set the brake and hop out. It eliminated a lot of shifting and clutching. You shift through the gears normally, using the clutch pedal. I had a few of them over the years. The rear axles were, I think, the same one's that Crosley used, but with mechanical brakes. The trans might have had the same guts as Crosley, but the case is different, Crosleys being top shift and Cushmans being side shift. The extra engine that you have is not a Cushman engine. It looks like a Kohler. Cushman used Kohlers for a while after the Husky was discontinued.

Value?? Your neighbor isn't going to retire with the proceeds from the sale. If it was mine, I'd ask for 500 bucks. Good, rebuildable Husky engines are worth a few hundred. The rest isn't worth a heck of a lot, but there are a lot of good parts there.

I'm a sucker for Cushmans and I'm glad I'm nowhere near TX, or I'd but it and **** my wife off

• 1 year later...
Guest jslowins

Was doing some browsing looking for parts for a Cushman Mailster that I am in the process of trying to restore and came across this posting. It looks like it has some of the items that I am looking for. Is this machine still available?

Thanks,

Joe