very disappointed

jreeder41

Just found out i was not given spots this year. Last year out office did not pay for the spots in time so we lost our spots. So we reapplied this year. I recieved the application on july 1 mailed it back on july 2nd. Called tonight and was told my application could not be filled. This sucks....

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

We received our check and application back today. On our application was listed spots RCD 76-78 and then erased also on both the application and check their is a number whited out. Now I am more pissed then disappointed. I'd like to know why I was not assigned these spots. Of course their is no one you can talk to until Monday.

Well, I feel sorry for you not getting a space, but I also feel for the Hershey region....they only have so many spaces, and some (or all?) years demand exceeds supply. I'm sure they get numerous disgruntled people, but it's a tough job putting on such a big flea market and show.

Hopefully you'll have better luck in future years................

It adds to the sting of this when we all walk through and see many spots together with modern vehicles parked in them, junk for sale that is not automotive related and spaces that for the whole time have nothing in them. Yes, people don't show up due to weather, health issues, etc. But when spaces are used as a parking area for several vehicles that just is not right. And it keeps happening year after year that people want to come and sell automotive items and there are no spaces available. People report the violators and they are back the next year. This going on is not an issue of overworked personnel in the Hershey Region. It is being ignored.

It is unfortunate that the Hershey Region defines rules to make the Fall event better and safer but fails to enforce them.

The flee market regulations for Fall Hershey can be found at the following link.

Hershey Region AACA: Fall Meet Vendors & Registration

Item 2. states that all parts and vehicles to be sold must be at least 10 years old. It is not always easy to identify parts that are 9 and not 10 years old. I would think the Club Marshal can recognize a 5 year old car.

0nSHAgBduHEwAAVAcnAACoDk4AAFAdnAAAoDo4AQBAdXACAIDq4AQAANXBCQAAqoMTAABUBycAAKjOP3CKzyHuk0jhAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Item 4. should apply to the sections, usually found in the chocolate fields, used solely for parking vendor cars or Hershey Region member's cars. With my feet hurting, I take it as a personal affront to require people to walk past these spots so a member doesn't need to walk. This especially applies when the vehicles are in violation with rule 2.

8ABgJfY9PcJAACdyHcAyIl8B4CcyHcAyIl8B4CcyHcAyIl8B4CcyHcAyOkXDThYIM0MYzsAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Item 8. restricts the use of vehicles without being registered and with a very visible registration tag. My interest is heightened by being nearly run into, 2 times in 2011, by non registered vehicles. Usually the problem is driving too fast and weaving in and out around walkers.

pAQAAruD+AAAngvsDAJwI7g8AcCK4PwDAieD+AAAngvsDAJwI7g8AcCK4PwDAieD+AAAngvsDAJzIv8Xxge6TXW+UAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I completely understand an honest mistake. It really bothers me that spots were assigned to us and then for some reason removed. When i called on wed the person answering the phone could not tell me why i did not get spots. I wanted to make sure if i did something wrong i can fix it for next year.

I agree with the "parking only" comment. My opinion is that one area of the flea market should be designated "parking only". A group of people would be designated to walk the flea market the first year, and any modern car parked in a space, without goods being sold on that or adjacent space, gets a space the next year in the "parking only" area. And, of course, on the honor system people would request "parking only".

Then, all the goods for sale could be more concentrated in real flea market area.

I realize all the issues with the idea......but if there are people who can't get a space because someone else is using a space for parking, isn't that hurting us all?

It could also be as easy as the people at the gates looking at cars and trucks, and making a note of those spaces if nothing is being brought in for sale....and the next year they get parking only spaces.

Guest Kev1940

this is all well and good but they dont even follow the rules they set up fact of the matter is our registration was one of the first ones sent it it was recieved in a day they gave us space numbers and then took them away we have all paper work to prove this so why are we denied when we followed all your rules....obviously some people dont like what i have to say because all my threads get deleted on the subject....so Hershey region give us some answers stophiding behind everything

Those of us that have been going to this event know all too well that it is a massive undertaking. One that most of us would run from like crying little girls.

But when complaint after complaint is registered year after year and from many sources one would think that notice would be taken, it would be investigated and action taken to correct the issue. It just seems like that does not happen. Yes, sometimes it does, but not often enough.

What I have heard is folks want more parts and cars and less gee-gaws and "crafts". There are thousands of flea market places for folks to sell those items. There are getting to be less and less events for those of us that want true antique vehicles and parts for them. It is an AACA event. So why aren't the spaces given first to those wanting to sell items that fit the rules?

People running over others and breaking the rules is a whole different issue. Sad, but true.

I'm not as much of a long timer as some of you, but since I started attending in 2004, I have noticed a huge increase (and I don't think that's an overstatement) in the number of flea market spaces being used for parking. I remember walking down one aisle in the chocolate field last year and one whole side was being used for parking. There's a lot of ground to cover and it's really irritating to have to walk past all the parked cars. Same could be said about the number of non-automobile related crafts and what-not.

Just my two cents on "old car fan"s comments - they are not "employees", but volunteers. Also, how do they control if some one wants to sleep in a hotel and drive his car or truck to his flea market space where he leaves room, and pays for a space for his car, or usually truck, verses a person that just buys one or two spaces and uses them for parking. I know if I was a vendor "of a certain age", I would not like to start and end my day in the walking from/to the visitor parking lot each day. Window stickers control that they cannot uses diferent vehicles on different days. So it is no easy "fix". But, I agree, the concept could use repair. Otherwise, it may become moe parking than shopping, and with internet use by younger people, there will be declining attendence.

As to jreeder41's problem, I think someone posted that the stickers were sent out in August. Too bad you did not notice that and call at that time. Maybe the Hershey Region could have done something at that time, before all spots were taken, if that is the reason. Not sure what happened, but what you described seems like a typical hotel or airline "overbooking" situation. It is not clear if you "listed' the numbered spots on your application or if HR listed them and then withdrew them. If you wanted your old spots back, after a year's absence, that could have been the problem. Seems once you give up spaces, it is likely they were reassigned and the new user would get the next year's first chance, as I understand how it works.

John

NONE of us want to see spaces used strictly for parking (other than parking provided to volunteers working the show and other officials...national has over 20 alone)! I personally have seen very little abuse of our rule that sellers must purvey automotive related items.

It makes no sense to think that the region does not care. It is also wrong to think that they do not act upon abuses. Do they catch all? Nope...if you see an abuse report it to the region! The region has a compliance team that each year has terminated the rights to spaces for our members...I know, I get the complaint letters afterwards! Those of you that think this is a big job have really no idea how big nor how much pressure, grief and abuse the region gets over trying to accomodate everyone.

There are no easy answers to this problem, I have a spot with five other people and a total of 18 spaces. All of our 18 spaces are actively used and displayed. BUT we also have a parking space at the back side of the field where we just park our truck. We deliver heavy parts to it all week long that we buy on the field. Also we bring and display a VERY expensive inventory of parts. Each night we load up all the very high end stuff to be sure it does not grow feet. Last year we lost over 800 dollars in stolen stuff. I have been attending the fall meet since 1971 and this may be our last year of a big display with a commercial tent, cars, and parts. Costs of fuel to and from the meet, hotels, spaces, theft, time off from work, and a slowing of the economy; as well as pre war slowdown in car stuff is making us revaluate weather or not to sign up for 2013. We sell all year long on the Internet, and with digital photos and you tube video, it's much easier to deal over the net. As the old song goes........ "The times they are a changen."

I wouldn't worry about flea market spaces being used just for parking spaces. In the digital age I would worry more about those spaces being empty. Remember, that car using a space to park might well be the car of an active buyer, handicapped old car enthusiast or maybe a newbie to the hobby. I understand the human proclivity to regulate, assign and police every aspect of life but after a while you sicken and eventually kill the goose that lays the golden egg. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Hershey has evolved from a flea market into the world's largest family reunion. I can be far more productive in an hour online than in 4 days at Hershey. Honestly, how many people actually come to Hershey just to shop for parts? They also come for the fellowship, the tradition, the ambiance or just to say "I walked all the fields". How many vendors do you think actually turn a profit sufficient to justify the expense and labor of an event such as Hershey? There are far more important changes facing our beloved hobby than my invalid 83 year old Mother using one of our spaces to park so she can sit in the sun and reminisce about the many years she spent at Hershey. Lighten up and go with the flow, you'll live longer.

Ed, I understand your method and have no problem with it. What's not kosher is the people who drive their 2012 Gogomobile Special Edition Salon, very obviously with no parts to sell, and just park on a space and start walking. If you get a dozen of those lined up on a row, then you've walked a long way with no parts to look at.

Steve, I realize it's a thankless job, and it's easy to stand on the outside and criticize. You mention that people have lost their space rights, what is the criteria used to terminate such rights, how does that come about? just curious....

Five of us from four different states (LA, VA, OK, NC) share the same three spaces I've had since the Chocolate Field opened in 1984. You will see parts ranging from Model-A to Cord to early Mercury to Brass Era to 1950s Cadillac. Sometimes all of the parts wind up on two of the spaces with our modern transporter on thre third space so that we can get to and from the hotel, Funck's, Hershey Lodge, and the many meetings whiich most of us attend as a part of the Hershey Experience. I personally have obligations for seven (7) different meetings besides the RM Auction which I will also attend - hopefully both nights - and then the transporter must be available to get me to the Judges Breakfast at the Arena before most vendors are awake on Saturday.

I agree with David concerning those who only use a single space to park and walk, but sometimes even that can be justified under the right conditions.

More "Enjoy", fewer "complainers", and we'll all be better off. Of course, legitimate concerns always deserve review, but not every gripe can be "fixed" to the satisfaction of every player.

The current system, as overseen by Hershey Region is working very well, and as Steeve Moskowitz has stated, it is a huge task, all managed by volunteers, who in my opinion do a fantastic job year after year.

David, if people violate the rules they can lose their spaces. People being caught selling their spaces, people not actually vending (JUST parking), etc. The region allows people to keep their spaces when the space is available from HE & R. This year some spaces now have huge planters in them and the space is lost. As long as the member abides by the rules he is eligible to renew each year during the pre-registration period. The region has a compliance team that travels the flea markets to look for blatant violations of the flea market policies. When those violations become provable then the member is sent a letter notifying them that they have lost their spaces and are not allowed to renew I believe for at least two years.

Understood, thanks for explanation Steve...... I think it's us "old folks" who're complaining, when you have to walk that extra 200 feet past parked cars to see parts for sale, it's hard on the legs!!!

You guys do a great job with little thanks and lots of complaints I would guess, so hat off to you and everyone who works to make Hershey happen...

Now i am pissed ,my brother has 3 spaces,i as well put in for 2 new ones this year,in the orange field,always slow,got my check back,with no reason.I requested the orange so we could be together or close.We have had the same 3 spaces for a bit,I put the other 2 in my name.We sell parts ,first to open ,last to close.I do not get it.I guess they make more money on earrings and cell phone cases.We have a motorhome and tables on our site,filled with old ,old car parts.Somebody has to justify this.My next door neighbor was a hot rod shop last year,If i wanted hot rod parts ,i can go to Springfield Ohio,30 miles away.2 spaces for the parts we found ,that could be back at Hershey,but never will.I'm pissed I will post every infraction seen,jreeder41 i am with you

My brother and his wife put on a large car show for several years, I can tell you they could write a book on all the ways PEOPLE played games with the rules.

They had, ( JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT ) a ballot box for FAN CHOICE, it was a three day show, so each night they EMPTIED the box, and they noticed some one had stuffed the box with their car number. All entries were on the same type paper, and same hand writing, dozens were even piled on top of each other. Well, they removed the duplicates, and when the winner was announced a fellow shouted, "IT WAS RIGGED, I KNOW WE PUT HUNDREDS IN WITH OUR NUMBER".

NOT EASY TO PLEASE.

Dale in Indy

"Three things have been difficult to tame: the oceans; fools, and women. We may soon be able to tame the oceans; fools and women will take a little longer."

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

I will say this its not nearly as bad as carlisle. That is nothing but a flea market anymore.

It sounds like the fields lost spots this year. If so that sux, but that is something that the planners of the event should know ahead of time. I will continue and try again next year. This is the only old car event i attend each year.

Edited by jreeder41 (see edit history)

All of the high dollar "Motor Coaches" seem to find spaces. And some complete with trailers for the show on Saturday.

Without many of the folks that travel in those there wouldn't be a Meet at the level that AACA Meets are. And recently those have been parked over on the old "White Field" away from the main flea market area. That area has not been used as a flea market area in a few years.