1953 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe - Need a starter relay!!! Any ideas?

Guest 53Novice

Guest 53Novice

Looking for a starter relay for my 331 Hemi 53 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe. I am having no luck on line and am running out of ideas. Anyone know where I could find one?

I have easily fixed a couple of these hard to find box style Autolite relays. Carefully remove the cover and clean the points! The point contacts get dirty. Mitchell Motor parts had a NOS one-I think it was $395.00.

Shown is the OE 1951-4 Chrysler V8 starter relay I'm talking about that is factory equipment for the hemi cars.

Bob

post-62228-14313915847_thumb.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Guest 53Novice
Try this guy....if anybody knows where to get one, he does. His name is Darrel Miller and he is at "runaway tractor@gmail.com" (no space between runaway and tractor). His number is (541)21eight-024nine.

Thanks. i just dropped him an email. Regards

Guest 53Novice

Thanks Bob. Cover? That might be the problem. All the connections are exposed as there is no cover. Let me ask a stupid question. Is this a starter relay at all? I have attached a picture.post-87895-14313915557_thumb.jpg

Guest 53Novice

Thanks Bob. Cover? That might be the problem. All the connections are exposed as there is no cover. Let me ask a stupid question. Is this a starter relay at all? I have attached a picture.post-87895-143139155575_thumb.jpg

Steve, the picture you have here looks more like a Ford type. The ones I have seen on the Chryslers is a rectangular shaped flat box. When I thought I might need one someone told me about a place in Florida (Yesteryear Antique Auto Parts) that might be able to help me. When I called he said something about rebuilt relays for about $250.00 and new ones at $400.00 plus. I ended up not needing one so I never pursued it any further.

Guest 53Novice

Tom you may be right. I was explaining it to an old mechanic on the line and he said that the ford part was interchangeable. Even described it to a T. That broadens my options. Maybe I can find one of those in 6 volt that would be cheaper than the expensive oem part.

Guest 53Novice

Tom you are right. I was explaining it to an old mechanic on the line and he said that the ford part was interchangeable. Even described it to a T. I went out to o'reillys and they had the exact one that is on the 53 for $15. Outstanding!!!! Thanks Tom!

Guest 53Novice

After all the trouble with the relay I find out the the relay is working and the solenoid that sits on the starter is not working. I will be taking the starter off to take a look at the solenoid. The quest for a starting 53 Chrysler continues :)

Guest 53Novice
Well Steve, all I can say is been there and done that. I do have a 54 that is for sale, needs wiring and other things but it does start using a remote starter button and a hot wire to the coil. Good luck, keep us all posted on the progress.

Good news is that it appears the solenoid is fine. I took off the starter and the rubber boot that covered the mechanism on the solenoid disintegrated. The parts were all rusted up and seized. I cleaned them all up with penetrating oil and it appears to work. I will be testing it more later today. I do need to find the large rubber boot that went on the back of the solenoid. Any ideas? More than likely I need to manufacture one myself.

Guest 53Novice
Well Steve, all I can say is been there and done that. I do have a 54 that is for sale, needs wiring and other things but it does start using a remote starter button and a hot wire to the coil. Good luck, keep us all posted on the progress.

I am quickly losing the 'novice' title and love it so far. I worked on the starter switch with PB Blaster for a few hours and got it working. Put power to it and the switch and starter worked!!!! Success!. However, the rubber boot disintegrated and looking around I could find none on line so I made one out of a PVC 90 degree elbow. Took several hours of heating with a heat gun, sawing, dremeling, grinding and I got a perfect fit. Put some jb weld on it to hold it to the starter switch and starter and finished it off with silicone to make it watertight. I will be attaching the whole thing on this weekend. I attached a few pics. PVC has some drawbacks but I can replace it if I ever find a rubber boot replacement.

post-87895-14313916814_thumb.jpg

post-87895-143139168106_thumb.jpg

post-87895-143139168115_thumb.jpg

post-87895-143139168126_thumb.jpg

post-87895-143139168134_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...