Continental F198 flat head 4-Cylinder L-Head engine

Guest pongratz70

Guest pongratz70

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and figure someone here could help me out. I have a Continental F162 cubic inch Flat Head engine. I know this block was used in the F124, F135, F140, F162, F163 engine. But doing my research on full gasket sets and bearing sets for this engine, I noticed they listed the gasket set fit a Continental F198 engine. I'm wondering what a F198 engine was used in and if the block is the same as the F162. I think (from internet research) the F198 had the same bore as a F162 but must have had a longer stroke.

Can someone tell me about this engine? I may want to try and find one to buy.

Well, the F198 does seem interesting...

It doesn't show in a 68 Am'cn Hammered or 84 and 86 Fed-Mog bearing catalogs, but does show in a 94 Clevite bearing catalog, which could imply it was a rather low-prod unit (replacement parts catalogs often omit low-prod or specialty engines, even when they share parts with more popular engines in the series)...

That Clevite catalog only lists the F198 (same 37/16x43/8 as the F162/163) (3.438x4.375); Cont'l usual usage for this F-series was to have an automotive version F4198, the ind'l version F198 and a free-standing power unit version P198 or P?198. It's also possible these Clevite listings are incomplete and such versions do exist.

Nor does that catalog list any other 4cyl 198; Cont'l sometimes used the same number in differing engine series (A4124, F4124 etc)...

Eyeballing a couple likely catalogs covering trucks and some ind'l/ag eqpmnt fails to turn up F198 listings, but my stuff is very weak on welders, gens, pumps ad nauseum. Will eyeball a few more to see if anything turns up. Bud

Did eyeball a couple more catalogs that included some heavy Cont'l users like Hough and Towmotor, as well as various road/industrial eqpmt makers; lots of Cont'l listings but not a single F198.

Without sorting thru my Cont'l list (presently in disarray) it appears to be the largest of the F 4cyls; it's possible it was produced for F 4cyl customers who wanted/needed a more powerful 4 as an option, or it's "dedicated/designed" use was something not covered in my old catalogs.

If you decide to look you should post on Ag sites like ytmag, eqpmt sites like hcea and one or more of the Cat sites (catskinners are around lots of eqpmt on const etc sites).

Guest pongratz70

Hi Bud. Thanks for the information. This is engine is puzzling. I would like to build a pulling tractor and If this F198 does in fact have the same block as the F162, I could use it to get more hp. The goofy thing it appears to have the same bore as the F162...That would mean it has to have a longer stroke to equal 198 cu. in. (That is if F198 means 198 cu. in.)

I found a man in the eastern part of the US that says they have one...but he wants $3000 for it. I think that is way too much though.

I may look into those other sites your talking about. If you learn any more information on this or come across one...please let me know. Thanks.

Lee