engine issue 46 link conti

Guest samster1

Guest samster1

I recently purchased a 1946 link contti convert and the previous owner put in a chevy 307 v8..awful...I added a holley 4 barrel carb and edlebrock manifolds to give a little more power...car still lags...I noticed that the car has been converted to 12 volt but it still has old distrib. with points..will a change to an electronic device like MSD provide more power instead of the old points

Guest samster1
The points ignition should be fine. I would pull the distributor and make sure the advance is not stuck and also make sure the vac diaphram on the distributor for the advance is working. Suck on it and it should hold vacuum.
I'll do. That. Thanks so much

The HEI gm dist is cheap and available all over ...if you pull the points unit, get one..msd and all that is great for later.... points are dependable, but hei is more trouble free, never fool with dwell, gap, shaft runout..etc..stuff you never dreamed of... 307 is a dog. That lincoln is a big car..but if you run a stock rear axle a 4 cyl should get it moving..Loosen the dist and advance it a little..listen to engine ..if you advance it, engine tone will change, smooth out and speed up ever so slightly...too much and it willspark knock and crank real hard...see what that does..takes 5 minutes. Drive it.. if you mash throttle in 3rd gear and it goes ping crunch..too much advance..

The hei dist must be 70s style withobvious vacuum advance silver thing on it...find one on craiglist for 20 bucks.

I agree with Jeff on changing the distributor, HEI is the only way to go and with it you can save the money on the MSD set up. Be sure and get the timing set correctly then give it a try. I always like to run is a few dergees advanced, if it pinged, then back off a slight amount.

You mentioned the car lags, this could be a carb problem or ignition, be sure and check all of the vacuum lines from the carb to anything they might be connected to, also check the carb for any open vacuum sources not plugged with a hose or a fitting to plug it. If you press on the gas pedal and the car bogs down, then that is usually a sign on an improperly adjusted accelerator pump, if you look down the throat of the carb with the engine off, quickly open the throttle while looking down the bores, you should see a healthy squirt of gasoline go down the bores. I would also check the fuel filter while you are going through it. One other thing to check would be the gasket between the carb and manifold, as well as manifold and block. These have to be sealed or any vacuum leak will cause no end of problems. Just for giggles, I would also check to make sure the distributor is wired correctly, I have seen more than one engine with a wire or two reversed.

A 307 aint the greatest engine ever built, but it should move that car along quite well. What transmission does it have?

One other thing, does it have fresh gas in it? If the gas is older than a few months, I would drain it and start over.

Tom