lincoln v12 spark plug wires

zephyrdave

I ordered some park plug wire that I will have to cut to the appropriate lengths and install inside the conduits, then attach the terminals. Has anyone had experience installing the wire in the conduits? Should the conduits be on the engine so the wires can be cut to the right length? How do you get the wires thru the conduit? Your experience is apprieciated. Dave

I have done two sets. dont use anything over 7mm wire which I think is stock. I used Packard 440 solid core wire and rubbed each wire with a little lithium grease so they would slide inside the tubes easy and against each other with ease. I left 6-7 inches extra on the plug side and about the same for the cap side, you will need the extra on the cap side to bend them around inside the cap so the two halves will fit together. Once you have the wire run and bolted on with caps in place then pull the rest of the wire tight and leave an extra inch for the plugs in case you ever have to put on new ends.

Yes, put the wires in with the conduits off the engine...on the bench and in your lap works well. Do you have the correct wire lengths? I can give them to you and this will make the whole process a little easier especially when you plug into the terminal plates. With 7" of spark plug extending from the conduits, 3-1/2" separation at the cross over the wires will extend the right lengths at the terminal plates.

Here you go. #1, 20 1/4"

#2, 21 3/4"

#3, 30 1/4"

#4, 24 3/4"

#5, 27 3/4"

#6, 33 1/4"

#7, 37 3/4"

#8, 32 3/4"

#9, 35 3/4"

#10, 42 1/2"

#11 & 12, 44 1/4"

You will note that the spark plug wires will extent at different lengths at the front of the conduits...this will aid in plugging them into the terminal plates. Be careful about #6 and #9, easy to mix up

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a photo of what the spark plug wires look like on the distributor side? I am used to newer cars where the wire just plugs into the distributor cap. How does the wire plug in on a 41? Thanks, Scott

they plug into caps just like any engine, but the cap is 2 piece, plate and cover. i secured tubes to the bench. made it easier spray some silicone on wires ..pretty clean but slippery.. Earle Brown sells decent set of new wires..Better to reuse old ends w/solder

I have the repro set..they do the job..I saw some arcing ..be cautious not to damage insulation during conduit loading...

cheers i am looking for cap/plate pic