Can't put up/down convertible top! controls stuck behind compartment with broken panel release.

Guest ernestc

Guest ernestc

On returning from a Reatta meet yesterday, I discovered that I could not open the storage compartment behind my driver's seat to gain access to the convertible top and tonneau cover releases. It appears that something within the latch mechanism on the compartment cover broke (perhaps a spring wire). I can find no way to gain access to the controls to put my top back up! There are no exposed screws. The area is not accessible from the trunk. There appears to be some kind of emergency release handle above the top of the passenger storage compartment, but this is loose and doesn't appear to do anything. The service manual tells how to remove the rear compartment panels; but this requires opening the tonneau cover to access screws (which I can not do).

Does anyone have any suggestions for curing this problem?

Barney - If I read the original post correctly, he can't open the storage compartment. Not sure how your advice would work.

Just a thought.... A couple weeks back, I wasn't able to open the tonneau cover due to a faulty release cable. Barney suggested going thru the trunk as there is a manual release for the tonneau cover. Maybe once you have the tonneau cover open via this manual release, you can access the storage compartment.

Guest ernestc

Your are correct. I can't get to the driver's side emergency release since it is in the compartment with the broken latch. The passenger side release handle is slack, doesn't seem to do anything; perhaps because that is broken, or not engaged. Besides, the first step to get the top put up is to release the electric tonneau cover and I can't get to the switch. Since the top is folded down in the trunk, it would be hard to get to the underside of the tonneau cover. It is beginning to look as if I may have to do some major damage to part of the interior trim.

Thanks for your comments!

... It is beginning to look as if I may have to do some major damage to part of the interior trim...

Don't break anything!

Here is an old thread that may help. It is for the glove box latch, but should be the same: http://forums.aaca.org/f116/glove-compartment-latch-broken-233454.html

The emergency releases at the top of the compartments are directly attached to the jaws that hold the tonneau cover. No cables. And yes, they feel 'loose'. Worst comes to worst, I'd bet you could pull out the trim on the floor of the trunk. Then unsnap the bottom clips holding the trim on the forward portion of the trunk, reach up, and find the emergency latch.

Guest ernestc

Thank you all for the comments which did allow me to resolve my immediate problem. The glove box latch sources and, particularly, the latch cross-sectional view (from Barney via Ronnie's Reatta Owner's Journal) provided the information to quickly gain access to my top controls and get back in operation.

This effort enabled me to get a little more intimate with a few of my car's features (e.g., the tonneau emergency latches). Having now removed the offending compartment latch, I will contact Jim Finn to, hopefully, obtain a working replacement.

Best Regards to all of you -- and thanks again for the help!

• 2 years later...
Guest poppabear_093

Maybe someone can lead me in the correct direction. Lid that houses the convertible top continues to release and will kill the battery. The only way I can get it to stop is if I disconnect the battery for a few seconds. The solenoid just continues to click until there's no more juice in the battery.

My guess is a stuck relay. The relay is located by the passanger side behind (in the trunk) the panel that seperates the trunk from the passanger compartment.

There is a picture in the service manual section 8A-201-17B

Since the key must be on to power the switch in the first place, a stuck relay seems likely however a stuck relay won't click. Maybe a short in the relay panel. I'd pull the relay and check for power.

ps rear relay panel is on the rear passenger wheelwell in the trunk.

Padgett....... I have had experience with a relay sticking once energized, it is almost like the contacts act like magnets. However when all power is dropped, they reset.

Also the location of the micro relay center is in different locations on coupes and convertibles. The coupes have the relays on the rear side of the passanger wheel well, convertibles they are where I noted.