Don’t get Scammed by the Highpowered Tech-Help Person

I purchased a virus protection program (PM me for company name)about 6 months ago. It would protect 3 computers. I only uploaded it on 2 of my pcs at the time. As you are aware my pc crashed 2 weeks ago. Since then, I have saved my files and folders and decided to install this virus programming, since I still had time left on it. While uploading the C/D I found out that the activation code would not allow the program to operate. I could not find a phone number anywhere on the packaging to get some help.

I finally went on-line this morning, found a number, and had a long conversation with the rep overseas.<O:p</O:p She asked for my name and my address, along with my e-mail address. She was very polite. She got around to asking me if she could “sign-in” from her location to check over my computer and get my pc going. I said, “Sure!”<O:p</O:p It took a few moments, but finally she was moving my cursor around and activating different folders to fix my problem. She mentioned that my computer was very slow. I explained to her that it was a very small pc used for quick access while on the highway. She began asking me how I cleaned up my pc, and I answered the usual dumping of cookies many times a week, the defragging every week or so. It was at this point that she got around to explaining that there were online “Unlimited Tech Support” people that could work for me 24&7 to help me keep my pc in good health and keep it speedy. As she was telling me this, she was listing her words on my pc screen, similar to “instant messaging”.

That’s when I stopped her and asked the cost of this service, “Why only $299.99 a year, but it covers 3 computers 24&7!”

<O:p</O:p I explained to her that my pc only cost $450.00 brand new! It was a road use pc only!

She then got back to my virus upload problem, when I heard her say, “I can get a tech to come online here and fix your pc problems, since that was preventing my programming cd from uploading!”

“Is there a charge for this?” I asked.

$89.00!!!!

<O:p</O:p That is when I cut her short and told her I just as soon buy another brand virus program for only $40.00 for one year, and they guarantee it to upload for 12 months!<O:p</O:p I was mad, and decided to not ever use this company again, a very reputable company, I might add.<O:p</O:p

As I said at the beginning, I will let you know who they are if pm-ed.<O:p</O:p Be careful everyone!

Wayne

Guest shadetree77

Wow. They'll get you every which way they can I guess. Wayne, I use a free virus program called "Avast!" I use it on all of my computers and have for years. In all that time, I've never had a virus get through. You can also prevent crashing by using a free, simple program called "C Cleaner". It not only clears cookies, history, etc. but it also scans your registry and fixes errors. Registry errors are a large reason PCs run slow and/or crash and they occur a lot more than you would think. I've used both of these free programs for years and (knock on wood) I haven't had a PC crash the entire time. Here are some links if you want to try them:

avast! Free Antivirus | Download Antivirus Protection Software

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Thanks Robert, will try one of those.

Just so everyone knows, my "Indian friend" also changed my home page from Yahoo to her network group, so I'll have to go back and reset that as well.

I will do some more research on this issue when the family is feeling better. We've been a little under the weather.

Thanks,

Wayne

Guest Moepar

Avast is a good freebie. We have that on one computer, & have AVG (another free one) on my computer. Both have run for a couple of years problem free with these.

I hope you get your probs fixed promptly. If not, I suggest we have a 'computer bash' party. Charge $5 for 3 whacks, everyone can get their electronic-bugs worked outta their systems, & you'll have some $$ for a replacement. :cool: Last total computer failure I had, I ran over it with our truck. That felt really good.

• 1 month later...