old ladys car...just found a 1971 Electra 225!

johnnyrock70

The old ladys cars are still out there to be found!

A craigslist listing with a poor picture, simply stating 'excellent condition' ... I followed up with the ad, and found this....

post-48856-143139132071_thumb.jpg

ONLY 55,000 miles!

absolutely rust-free southern car. Had 7 years of dust covering it.

Unfortunately, it also had a full gas tank that was sitting for 7 years.

post-48856-143139132052_thumb.jpg

took her over to my buddys house where we put her up on the lift and dropped the gas tank. What a mess. The gas was red in color, and smelt terrible! I thought the gas would protect the inner lining of the tank, but it just made it rusty. after a large amount of phone calls, it became quickly apparent that I was not finding a new or new/remanufactured tank for this C-Body Buick. A few more phone calls to local motor-heads lead me to a guy about 30min away that cleans, and coats tanks. ($125..not bad)post-48856-143139132142_thumb.jpg

post-48856-143139132087_thumb.jpg

post-48856-143139132108_thumb.jpg

post-48856-143139132124_thumb.jpg

made a trip to my local junkyard in an attempt to find a C-body gas tank in case I didnt like the way my tank came back. Found a '73 Cadillac DeVille. I got up underneath, and measured. Looked perfect. Dropped the tank, and realized it had a 3" hump right down the top of the tank that I could not see from the bottom. It would not fit the Electra. The tank was amazingly clean inside, so I took the sending unit for $10, and modified it slightly to fit my Electra tank.

Here is a pic of my sending unit as it came out of the 7 year gas:

post-48856-14313913216_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

Nice find! Wish I could go back in time and tell myself to pay someone else to re-seal the tank on my '52! That was an awful job to do and if I can help it I'll never do another one! What are your plans for this low mileage find?

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Electra. I would really like a 4 door hardtop. I have my uncle's '71 Lesabre Custom 4 door but haven't used it much the last couple of years. I've had the exhaust manifold gaskets fixed twice and they are gone again. Guess I need to have some work done on the heads. It's a 350-4. Tranny is also getting weak in reverse. It shifts up through the gears fine. Gas gauge also doesn't work - the gauge tests fine, it's the sending unit. Wish I had the money to have it fixed so I could really enjoy it.

I've had the exhaust manifold gaskets fixed twice and they are gone again. Guess I need to have some work done on the heads. .

Buick didn't use gaskets from the factory. When (if) you do any engine work, have the heads and manifolds planed, then just bolt them back together without any gaskets.

RivNut, I'm not mechanical and always have to rely on others to give me correct info on my cars. I got the Buick from my uncle 12 years ago; he said he had the gaskets replaced several years prior to giving it to me but they needed to be replaced again when I got the car. I had them done at the local Buick dealership. They only lasted a couple of years before starting to get noisy again. I then had them replaced by a friend who restores cars and they lasted until I started the car a year ago last spring (April 2011). I talked to the fellow that replaced them and he said the heads would have to be planed. He primarily works on Fords and told me the 351 Ford didn't have gaskets but that the 350 Buick did so that's what I've been going by. I guess I will talk to him again and see about having the heads and manifolds planed.

Buick didn't use gaskets because of that very problem - they blow out and need constant changing. They also didn't use gaskets because with the iron to iron contact, the coolant circulating through the head will have some cooling effect on the exhaust manifolds. To do it correctly, you'd have to pull the heads, have them planed, and do the same to the manifolds.

It will be much less expensive to replace gaskets every few years.

Ed

John, the stock tires would not have been radials. They were the dual stripe whitewall style that had fiberglass belts. Sears radials were, during this time, made by Michelin, and were popular among those converting to radials, as my parents did shortly after buying a new '71 Buick.

Got Dry Rot??

the tires are literally exploding while sitting parked in the garage mounted on the Buick!

4am in the morning I'm sleeping in bed, and then BOOM! One after another they are blowin! check these out!...

post-48856-143139158732_thumb.jpg

post-48856-143139158732_thumb.jpg

post-48856-14313915875_thumb.jpg

post-48856-143139158766_thumb.jpg

post-48856-143139158782_thumb.jpg

Dont be fooled by pretty looking tires with good tread. These were sitting for 7 years. The car drove smooth and quiet for the first few drives, but now that they have heated up..they are done. I got a new set coming. Really great deal right now on Discount Tire Direct for Hankook 70,000mile whitewall 235/75/15's.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1971 My father bought a brand new 1971 Electra 225 Limited to replace his 1964 Buick Wildcat. Same color, vinyl roof, and model (4Dr) as yours. I remember the first day he drove it in the driveway. I loved his '64 and the 1955 Buick before that; but with the '71, I was hooked on Buick's forever. Five years later I bought my first new Buick, a 1976 Riviera GS with landau roof, and the optional stainless and chrome crown strip.

Love your car. It brings back great memories. What a great find.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

• 4 months later...