1957 Lincoln Premiere 2-door Hardtop

SOLD SOLD SOLDI have decided to sell my 1957 Lincoln Premiere 2-door hardtop coupe. I’ve had it about a year and some of you may have followed my cleanup / fixup efforts on the “Our Cars and Restorations” forum. It’s a great running and driving example of mid 50s over-the-top styling based on the Lincoln Futura concept car (Later the Batmobile!) with a low stance, enormous canted fins, and lots of chrome. It is a big car: 225” total length, 126” wheelbase, and a weight I would guess at close to 5000 lbs. Colorwise it is fairly conservative for the period with single color Sand tan paint and a three tone brown and tan interior. It has had one nice driver quality repaint in the original color and the interior has been redone in vinyl to match the original colors and style, I do not know how long ago this was done but all is in very nice shape. All chrome and stainless is there in good to very good condition with some typical diecast pitting. <o:p></o:p>

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT:Original 368 300 hp V-8, Turbo-Drive automatic, power steering, power brakes, power windows including vents, 6-way power seat, Travel-Tuner radio with dual speakers, power antenna, dual heaters, Guide automatic headlight dimmer, Multilube automatic front end lubricator, and rare factory trunk mounted air conditioning with Plexiglas ducts and roof mounted vents.<o:p></o:p>

RECENT WORK DONE: New tinted / shaded windshield, brake wheel cylinders rebuilt, new front brake linings and seals, new front shock absorbers, rebuilt water pump and fuel pump, new hoses, belts, filters and tune-up. Paint has been touched up and buffed, engine compartment has been cleaned and partially detailed.<o:p></o:p>

WORK NEEDED: Steering gear leaks from sector shaft, works but needs reseal. Front upper control arms need new bushings installed, included with car. A/C system, radio,and other equipment are complete but do not work and have been disconnected.<o:p></o:p>

I’ve had a lot of fun driving, showing, and improving the appearance of this car, it is pretty rare and gets a lot of attention every time I take it out. With some additional TLC it has the potential to be a great tour vehicle but life and other projects will not allow me to take it to the next level so I want to pass it on to someone who can finish and enjoy it as it deserves. Please e-mail me for a detailed fact sheet plus additional photos and feel free to call me with any questions.<o:p></o:p>

PRICE: $12,500<o:p></o:p>

DON RUNDGREN, McKINNEY,TEXAS<o:p></o:p>

Phone: 972-540-2429E-mail: derjr2@tx.rr.com<o:p></o:p>

post-51036-143139122184_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122192_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122199_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122206_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122213_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122219_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122225_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122232_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139122238_thumb.jpg

Edited by TexRiv_63
CAR SOLD (see edit history)

Don

I can't take it anymore! I know we are not supposed to comment but that car is gorgeous! I don't care if the color is sand. I've seen them in black and red and sand looks fantastic, kind of a car I could see Frank Sinatra in at the Sands circa 1957. Your price is spot on in my opinion. I am a big Lincoln fan. I own 3 books on Lincoln and wish I had room in my collection for, well, about 6 of them!

About 3 years ago I tried to save a 57 Premiere 2 door hardtop from the crusher in Washington state which lead me the information from books, Collectible Automobile magazine articles and the clubs. Bottom line is Lincoln did a fantastic job on the 57's and sales proved it. Good luck on the sale, but I couldn't stand no one saying how beautiful your car is!

BJM, thanks for your comments. I was surprised how a little buffing, touchup. and detailing made this car pop. I've gotten a couple of nibbles but less response than I expected. The good side is that I'm now driving it more, showing it off with for sale signs in the windows. I missed a couple of local car shows due to rain but hope to take it out to one on Saturday.

BTT for another week. It has been nice to be driving this car more lately, showing it off. I took it to the Morning Maniacs weekly show last saturday and it was surrounded, it is an attention grabber. Unfortunately most of those folks already have hobby cars and weren't looking to buy!

These are great driving cars, too. Apparently the Lincoln engineers learned a thing or two in the Carrera-Panamericana road races a few years earlier. Drive this back-to-back with a comparable Cadillac and you'll be shocked by how light on its feet the Lincoln feels (well, "light" is a relative term with something like this). I'm a big fan of Lincolns and think they're vastly underrated compared to Cadillacs of the period. If this were a '57 Coupe DeVille, it would be three times the price. A screaming bargain for an arguably superior car. If you buy it, I promise you won't regret it!

• 2 weeks later...
These are great driving cars, too. Apparently the Lincoln engineers learned a thing or two in the Carrera-Panamericana road races a few years earlier. Drive this back-to-back with a comparable Cadillac and you'll be shocked by how light on its feet the Lincoln feels (well, "light" is a relative term with something like this). I'm a big fan of Lincolns and think they're vastly underrated compared to Cadillacs of the period. If this were a '57 Coupe DeVille, it would be three times the price. A screaming bargain for an arguably superior car. If you buy it, I promise you won't regret it!

BTT - Matt, thanks for the kind words. I do enjoy driving this car, it gets almost as much attention as my 32 Cadillac did as it is something you NEVER see on the road. I'm continuing to ask $14,000 because I think it is a fair price but I am always open to reasonable discussion or possible interesting trades for good driver cars. Here are a few more photos showing some details:

post-51036-143139184046_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184049_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184052_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184055_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184059_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184063_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184066_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184069_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184074_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139184077_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just added a little more value to this car today, it had a patched up muffler on the passenger side which gave up the ghost so I had the whole passenger side exhaust system replaced. As a bonus, when the muffler shop pulled the old exhaust pipe they found the heat riser valve was rusted shut, my efforts to free it up before did not work. They eliminated the valve and now the car runs great, quiet, smooth, and the idle is better. I took it for a long ride back from the shop and that was money well spent.

My price is still $12,900.

• 3 weeks later...

BTT again - I must admit I'm surprised at the lack of sales interest in this car. I'm not talking about here on the forum, I've gotten some nice comments which I appreciate and a few e-mail inquiries though no one serious about buying. The surprising part is that I get major reaction when I drive the car and when I show it, there is always a crowd looking at it and when I stop for gas it always turns into a lengthy discussion with someone who sees it. Unfortunately, even though I have For Sale signs in the windows I haven't had any local interest in buying. I think my price is reasonable so I'm at a loss. I'm going to try Craigslist and possibly Auto Trader Classic although I don't like paying their prices for an ad.

If you would have been any closer and put your car up for sale a few months ago, I would have been more than eager to buy your car.

I recall when you first bought it and reading about all the work you've put into it. It's a gorgeous car and it makes my Fairlane look rather boring. I don't regret buying my car and I really enjoy its simplicity.

Guest 37Packard
I'm going to try Craigslist and possibly Auto Trader Classic although I don't like paying their prices for an ad.

Check out Oldride.com. The ads are only $10 and you can renew it every month for free if it doesn't sell. I've sold a couple of old cars through them. Good luck....

Edited by 37Packard (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This car sure gets around! I sold it to a local dealer who took it to the Mecum Kansas City auction where it sold for a little more but not enough to have made him much profit. Unless the new dealer has done quite a bit of work on it it is not worth that asking price. Let me know what dealer it is with a PM, I'd like to see what happens to it.

Don offered a very nice hobby car to the community for several months, nay year +. No one stepped up. For me, as it is with Don and some of us, I am just too diverse to focus on collecting 2-3 nice cars. I have 8 now and always seem to be buying and trading/selling.

So I don't begrudge a non sell. It is too bad this forum does not result in more "transfers" of these fairly priced cars. As to the dealer - they have typically gotten to where they are by what we call flipping. And I see absolutely no problem with that aspect of the hobby. In reality, we seldom know exactly what the dealer sells the car for - but to get a reasonable profit, they need to jack up the price so the eventual sale lies somewhere in between.

I believe this forum works quite well for selling reasonably priced cars. I would have loved to have bought the Lincoln. I thought it was a steal at that price. I tried to get my brother-in-law to buy, but that didn't happen. If it had been one year older, I know someone who is specifically looking for a 1956 hardtop.

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
I just learned this car is now on Ebay, it has made full circle back to where I originally bought it!

Don:

Here's the ebay listing for the Sioux Falls, South Dakota dealer -

Lincoln : Other in Lincoln | eBay Motors

His description never mentions that it is a "rust-free" Texas car; guess if he bought it in KC at the Mecum Auction he may not be aware of its history. In fact he barely has a description at all and is letting the multiple pictures "do the talking." It's currently bid $10,300 with a BUY IT NOW price of $23,800.

UPDATE: The seller ended the listing on ebay this morning at 9:35 am CST. Wonder if it sold locally or he took a "best offer"? The listing was a BUY IT NOW auction and didn't have the best offer option though.

Fred

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

The dealer may be upstanding, but does he care more about the car or about the money?

Easy answer on that one, business is business. I did notice that the one selling my old car has now listed some - but not all - of the car's deficiencies. He also prominently describes the "Leather Seats" which are most definitely vinyl. I do think sometimes consignment dealers pass along incorrect or misleading information from the owner and of course the biggest issue is what is not mentioned at all.

Fellow hobbyists: Do you think that it's really a

buyer's market out there now?

I kept my eyes open for a year before recently

adding another car to the garage. Though there

certainly are exceptions, I think prices realized on

Ebay for the typical #2 or #3 condition

collector car are quite reasonable. There seem to

be an awful lot of them for sale.

I'm not saying that ASKING prices are necessarily

reasonable. Sometimes it takes a long time for

people's asking prices to meet reality. Dealers, for

example, may have a car advertised on their website

optimistically for $15,000, but after many, many tries

on Ebay they finally give in and it sells for $7500.