wtb1942 Ford truck motor

Guest jack_a_eckert

Hi Lee:

You could try tapping up around the edges of the head with a drift and a hammer to loosen it up. I assume you've tried to soak the studs and holes with penetrant. Wouldn't hurt to also tap the head with a hammer to help the penetrant do its job. If you haven't done so already, check out Early V8 (1932-53) - The Ford Barn . Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

Hi Lee:

You could try tapping up around the edges of the head with a drift and a hammer to loosen it up. I assume you've tried to soak the studs and holes with penetrant. Wouldn't hurt to also tap the head with a hammer to help the penetrant do its job. If you haven't done so already, check out Early V8 (1932-53) - The Ford Barn . Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

Thank you. Using penetrant and putty knives around edge. Thanks for the tip will let you know what happens. Lee

If the penetrant has not worked try heating each of the studs, just enough to get the tops cherry red. This will expand the studs and crush the rust enough that a good penetrating oil can free up the head. Use a 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone.

I got the head off. Pulled the motor out of the car. Soaked it on its side for an hour then started going around the head with wood chisels. It came loose and finally got it off with wedges. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Lee

• 2 months later...