2013 National meet in South Bend

Guest HessLakeGuy

Guest HessLakeGuy

Hello:

Got back from the 2013 convention site late Saturday. The International Edsel meet was a few miles away, so we checked things out in our spare time.

There is a lot of stuff to see and do. The town is small enough that you can find your way around it rather quickly and the learning curve is quick.

The exit from the Indiana Toll Road actually is right next to the parking lots of the two host hotels.

Of course, in South Bend there is the national Studebaker museum, and if you want to go, a smaller Hudson museum thirty or so miles away. There are also historic homes, restaurants and buildings to see.

Notre Dame is right across the street from the host hotels.

We are planning the Rendevous, of course, for Thursday afternoon.

Tom

Guest SwiftBuicks

I don't understand this message, of course. Was the meet a Reatta meet? Was the Rendezvous in South Bend? Are there photos? I've been to South Bend and spent the night at the Uni. It's flat as a pancake thereabouts and I don't remember the town at all.

"2013 convention site" would indicate that is next year.

Each year at the BCA (Buick Club of America) national convention, the Reatta Division has its annual meeting plus something that has been named the "Rendezvous" The Rendezvous is an activity where we drive our Reattas, often to some attraction, then to a predetermined site where we all eat together.

I believe that Tom Seleander is the coordinator and he will get with Reatta (or Buick owners) in the area for their input on the activity and food.

Since Tom lives in South Central Michigan and he was attending the Edsel meet, he is giving us his first impressions of the South Bend site.

Guest HessLakeGuy

To all:

Just giving everyone a heads up for next year---plan some time to see some of the sights next year in and around South Bend.

I am NOT a ND fan, but I must admit I did enjoy seeing the Golden Dome and "Touchdown Jesus" close up last week when we toured the campus.

Tom

Guest crazytrain2

If coming to South Bend there are a couple of restaurants you might be interested in:

Tippecanoe Restaurant ~ Home <-- The old Studebaker Family Mansion

Hacienda Mexican Restaurants :: Home <-- I recommend the original location at the 100 Center (Renovated Kamms Family Mansion in front of the old Kamms Schellinger Brewery) in Mishawaka Indiana Brewing History - Indianapolis

Guest steveskyhawk

Question for the experts,

If I bring my restored 1990 Select Sixty Convertible to "South Bend" next year and enter it in the 400 point judging event, will I lose points for having the Select Sixty Special hood ornament? I asked this specific question in another thread and received no answer from a judge.

Guest steveskyhawk

Ed and the forum,

I think we can all agree that the 1990 Select 60 Reatta Convertible is one of the most collectable versions of the Reatta that were made. There were cars like the gunmetal grey convertibles that were more rare due to low production numbers, however the '90 Select 60 convertible has the most recognizeable features. My question regarding the originality of this car and its special hood ornament is anything but hypothetical as Ed stated. These "differences" are what make collecting cars interesting.

It confuses me that Ed downplays my car's possible loss of a "point" because it has the special Select 60 hood ornament. Ambiguity in the rules creates confusion and resentment if your car is not judged fairly.

In a previous thread, 88 and 90 Select 60s were discussed and it is a consensus that there was a supply problem experienced by Buick and in both years. We have evidence that original owners received the special badge after the sale and were instructed to have it installed on the car. I for one would NOT have put the special badge on my new '90 Select Sixty back in the day because it is smaller than the standard emblem and I would be concerned about damaging the paint. With these facts in mind we know that some cars are appearing with the special ornament and some without. This would indicate that a Select 60 of either year with either hood ornament should be considered "original". Why then would Ed say my car could lose a point for having the rare hood ornament? This ornament is one of the things that makes it different from any other white convertible.

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

Guest HessLakeGuy

To all:

In all the years that I have judged Reattas this part (hood ornament) has not been an issue. At least not that I know of.

What did we get at the meet in Ames, IA ---three or four SS converts?

We are always hoping there will be new cars at the meets and more new volunteer judges to help out. It is a good way to get to know some of the Reatta people better, plus you can learn even more about the cars that others own. It can be a neat way to spend two/three hours of your life.

We hope to have the Rendezvous planned out by the end of September, so make sure you save Thursday afternoon! We are heading back to Indiana in a few weeks to finalize plans.

BTW===there is a LKQ U-Pull not too far from the host hotels. For those of you that do not have never had the chance to visit one (maybe none in your state??) you can drive over and check one out. An entrance fee and your signature/birthday are required at LKQs before you enter.

Tom

Guest HessLakeGuy

To all:

I do not know, but I will attempt to find the answer to that question.

We are heading down tto Indiana on September 12th, first to first go to the meeting in Anderson, IN (see Barney Eatons post), then we are going to perhaps lock up the location of the Rendezvous.

We will get this taken care of quickly to get the times and dates we want.

Tom