engine decision

Guest samster1

Guest samster1

Hi Guys

New to Forum but I must say Im very happy I joined..Peecher saved the day....my 67 has been fully restored with the original block and all new guts....my 46 was a mediocre restor. by the previous owner and for some god awful reason he put in a fresh chevy 307 v8...my research tells me that even when the engine was brand new it was not considered a well built or popular engine...I would like to go to a show here or there for fun but would not want to lift hood..on the other hand I drive my cars a lot on the weekends so I like reliability...does it pay to search for a v12 or stick with what I have?

Thanks

Steve

Personally I love the V-12 and you cannot beat the sound or smoothness, however you will spend a lot to get a good one, or one rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing. I would imagine your car has been converted to 12 volts for the most part so that will have to go back to 6 volts for the conversion back to original. I suppose what it boils down to is, how much do you really want to spend to have that V-12 vs. the small block? I would imagine you are looking anywhere from 4000.00 and up for a solid rebuilt V-12. If you find a good solid one for less,,consider it a bonus.

Tom

Guest samster1
Personally I love the V-12 and you cannot beat the sound or smoothness, however you will spend a lot to get a good one, or one rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing. I would imagine your car has been converted to 12 volts for the most part so that will have to go back to 6 volts for the conversion back to original. I suppose what it boils down to is, how much do you really want to spend to have that V-12 vs. the small block? I would imagine you are looking anywhere from 4000.00 and up for a solid rebuilt V-12. If you find a good solid one for less,,consider it a bonus.

Tom

Thanks...that's a little steep I think I will just try to juice up the small block

Guest samster1
You didn't say, but one would suspect the transmission was changed as well, and that you now have an open driveshaft and different rear end with parallel springs. Keep an eye for basket case chassis for parts.

Abe

Thanks again..I probably will just upgrade to 350 small block to avoid the expense...I still have my 67 to win some trophies