1946 conti convertible top wont work

Guest samster1

Guest samster1

does anyone know if the convertible top in a 1946 conti is controlled by a fuse...i had an alarm put in today and now when I pull the top switch I hear nothing..just dead...they were fiddling with wires

If the top worked before the alarm installation and the windows work ok they probably messed up the wiring to the top switch? Perhaps a broken wire? It maybe easier to fix that rather thn trying to disconnect the power cylinders that operate the top mechanism.

Guest samster1
If the top worked before the alarm installation and the windows work ok they probably messed up the wiring to the top switch? Perhaps a broken wire? It maybe easier to fix that rather thn trying to disconnect the power cylinders that operate the top mechanism.

thank you so much...I really appreciate the help

Guest samster1

Sorry peecher..one more question...you are correct windows work..so how do i get to the wiring for top switch?..is it under dash or do under hood?..do i pull out top switch lever? Thanks

The switch is behind the dash. It's a little crowded under there, probably why the power feed wire became disconnected during the alarm installation. Not too familar with the top control system but you might try this to confirm a loose or broken wire connection. Push or pull the top control knob and at the same time push one of the window buttons up. This will activate the pump and the top should move.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)