'50 Buick 263CI. Carb. problems are frustrating.

Rosiesdad

OK this is getting old. Story is the Carter carb. model 634 I think. I rebuilt last year. Car drove fine then.

Car sat for 8 Mo. while body work was done. I have used one tank of gas since then. When I recently filled the tank I parked in the hot sun and came back shortly to a vapor lock condition. I could see fuel boiling in the glass filter next to the carb. It happened again at the 4th of July parade. There I simply vented the line at the carb and she started right up as normal.

So I try to correct this by replacing the old Bendix electric pump. It was intermittently working I think. I found it full of crud. New pump appears to work fine.

Problem now appears to be flooding after driving. The glass filter bowl is completely full. More full than ever, can't see the top of the fuel level line. First turned the electric pump off and just run normal pump. Still have flooding. I try starting fluid and cant get to fire! I thought starting fluid would fire a flooded engine?????

It did this early today and I pulled 4 plugs but found them DRY. I know it's flooded though. After waiting an hr. she fired right up.

I am confused and frustrated. Am I fighting a float bowl needle problem? Should I put in a better ignition if it won't fire starting fluid? 6V system has all new tune up parts and coil.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Phil

Be sure the ignition is in fact working during the no-start condition. If the plugs are dry at the time of the no-start condition, it is not flooding and if even starting fluid would not help the ignition may be temporarily dead. Crud anywhere in the system may mean crud in the carb --- consider disassembly for inspection and cleaning if needed.

Willie

And if you have not cleaned the gas tank, you may be shocked at what is in there.

The problem may just be the gas. Mine acts that way sometimes. Always fires right up after setting several hours and the engine temps are down to ambient. Usually fires right up after a short down time of five min or so. Always wants to be difficult after a fifteen min or so stop. Usually, holding the throttle wide open while cranking gets the job done. If the battery charge holds out.

Good luck

Ben