1912 Hudson Mile-a-Minute Speedster

StillOutThere

When I attempt to research the '12 Hudson speedsters I come up with several cars from 1911 and a few thoughts on cars into 1913 and 14.

Is there a serial number range that a true 1912 Mile-a-Minute must fall into? Where is that number found on the car?

Is the plated equipment necessarily brass or nickel?

Tire and wheel specifications?

Other facts please that you would add to this knowledge base......

Thank you.

According to my Hudson parts book dated Feb 1916:

The 'Speed Roadster' (S.R.) car number range is 23001 to 24000

The car number will be found on the metal (brass) plate attached to the dash board (the back of the firewall)

The bright work is brass

The rims are Stanweld Demountable 32x4

yes, there are several 'made-up' cars

post-31787-143139107817_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143139107797_thumb.jpg

I believe Mr. Wimby Peters must have been a very small gentleman, as the mile-a-minute roadster that I saw a while back (unrestored, in storage, 20 years ago in New Jersey) wasn't near as large a car as that picture would have one believe.......

• 3 months later...

Here is some pics of a 1911 Hudson model 33 I used to own. It came from Art Burrichter(sp) in Iowa. Originally it was a torpedo touring, I think the body was removed and converted to a pickup truck during WWII so a farmer could get gas for it. Around 1961 it was converted into a speedster.

It is in California now, I am amused by the "hay story" the current owners have fabricated. I have another 1911 Hudson 33 torpedo touring, it was parted out and parts used to make up a so-called Mile-A-Minuter speedster. Bob Forbes had my original engine but alas I lost track of it. I still need an engine.

post-31787-143139273306_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143139273295_thumb.jpg

post-31787-1431392733_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143139273302_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143139273304_thumb.jpg

Edited by dep5 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Hudson33

HI

Am interested in your story that this was a pony tonneau.

I recently acquired a speed roadster from estate of fellow that did just that. He started with a touring and had a home made roadster body made. This was sold to a fellow who wanted a copy of a Speed Roadster which he almost had completed before he passed away. I hope to complete this in a year or so but costs and budget will determine progress.

Fred grey

Guest Hudson33

Hi Paul

Interested in the pony tonneau story as that is what the Jack's did.

You say you once place in the touring car, do you know who owned it and where. Have been searching the license plates numbers and come up with doz. or so from 1912 and 1913. Interesting of the cars that started or where registered on Vancouver Island , it only states make of car not the model or chassis number!!!!

Take care

Fred

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hudson33

dep5

Looking at the parts book copy shown it has the symbols in the 2nd column that indicate the part used on various models.

Would it be possible to get a copy of the book and if there are any illustrations as it says in the parts book.

F

I have a copy but does not show the symbols

Guest Hudson33
Here's the one in the Simeone Foundation museum in Philadelphia.

Interesting to note the car in the Simione museum was owned by the grandfather of the original owner. It was never restored but repaired by grandson James Treadwell in the '70's to keep it running. It did not have the original lites but had Solar Eclipse 850S which appear to have a new home as they are missing in current photos

Great story featured in "Car Classics"1974 Dec. edition

Fred

• 1 month later...
Guest treadwell
Interesting to note the car in the Simione museum was owned by the grandfather of the original owner. It was never restored but repaired by grandson James Treadwell in the '70's to keep it running. It did not have the original lites but had Solar Eclipse 850S which appear to have a new home as they are missing in current photos

Great story featured in "Car Classics"1974 Dec. edition

Fred

This car was originally purchased new in San Jose, CA by Ivan Goodwin Treadwell for his wife Lillian. She was the first woman to get a speeding ticket in San Jose for driving 26 mph in a 25 mph road. When Ivan died my grandfather James Lawrence Treadwell Sr gave the car to Frank Sepeda their chauffeur who used it as a towing car for his Auto shop, and later stored it on blocks during to war. He died in 1945 and his family gave it back to my grandfather. He then gave it to his son James Lawrence Treadwell Jr, my uncle. They sold the car to Harrah's sometime in the 1980's. Harrah's was interested in the vehicle for the "lights" do not know which ones. When the car was sold there were 3 out of 4 front lights still on the car.

Guest Hudson33

Great to find that the history of this car is still with us. It is one thing to be in a museum but another where the history is personal.

Certainly would like what ever stories and pics that may be available.

Fred

Guest treadwell
Great story, Do you have any period photos of the car when it was in your family?

No, I have not come across any pictures. If I remember correctly my g-grandfather had his initials on the car IGT (Ivan Goodwin Treadwell), but I do not recall where they were. I noticed in the picture the seats must of been restored, as they were worn out pretty good before it was sold to Harrah's.

• 1 month later...
Guest Hudson33

Sorry do not any information other than it was featured in magazine many years ago. It was restored and has dash plaque stating who did it. Has some unusual features I have studied in the pics I have seen, as I am trying to build Model 33 as well.

Good luck

Fred

Sunroofcord, he is you answer about the car you asked about......

This 1912 Mile-A-Minute roadster, Chassis no. 23074, Engine no. KK 13349, changed hands at the The Greenwich Concours d'Elegance Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia auction on June 7, 2009. The selling price (including commission) was $106,470. I do not know who bought the car, nor who was the seller. I assume that the buyers subsequently displayed it at the H-E-T National later that summer. The Minnesota plates appear to have been on the car during the auction, so there is no reason to believe that the buyers live in Minnesota.

You can read more about the car here: bonhams.com/auctions/17320/lot/260/

Here is an excerpt from the auction company's description of the car:

This extremely rare Mile-A-Minute Roadster was retrieved from a barn in New York state by H. Pierson Mapes in the late 1940s. H. Pierson Mapes, was an early exponent of the car collecting movement and father of Pierson G. Mapes, the well-known former president of NBC. According to a cast brass plaque on its firewall, the car was restored for H. Pierson Mapes by Joseph Murchio who the plaque proclaims was ‘America’s Foremost Authority on Antique Automobiles’, another early prominent car collector, whose automobile museum at Greenwood Lake, NY had opened in August 1945 and ran for more than two decades.

It is thought that Pierson Mapes sold the ‘Mile-a-Minute’ at a public auction conducted by Sotheby’s in the late 1950s or early 1960s, though the precise date of this is yet to be confirmed. However, it is known that the car passed from Mapes to Egbert Beney of Syosset, N.Y. at around that time, the current owner’s father bought the Hudson in 1987, it passing to him 6 years ago.

Over the course of its 30 year family ownership the Hudson has been shown at a few regional car gatherings, most recently at the Bogart’s Car Show in Apple Valley, MI in 2007.

The restoration of the car still dates back to H.Pierson Mapes time, giving the car a reassuring air of authenticity as well as an appealing patina of age. It is appropriately equipped with a period accessory monocle windshield, copies of owner’s manual, tools and period jack.

A similar red Mile-A-Minute is owned by the Forbes family in California.

(Pete B: I discovered all of this because of the high resolution photo you took of the dashboard at the '09 National -- and published above. I enlarged it on screen and was able to read the H. Pierson Mapes brass plate on the dash. So, the car at the National is definitely the one sold at the The Greenwich Concours d'Elegance auction. And the previous owners were from Minnesota, thus the Minn. historic plates on the car.)